Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need FLorida Doctor »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need FLorida Doctor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need FLorida Doctor  (Read 1197 times)
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Need FLorida Doctor
« on: Feb 6th, 2008, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have posted here previously before introducting myself .. mainly posted out of desperation while suffering with a CH at the time.  I am 64 yrs old, female and have cycles once every year lasting approximately 6 to 8 weeks.  I do not take any prescribed meds nor do I have access to oxygen therapy.  My insurance does not pay for anything other than hospitalization.  So, I tough it out with Excedrin Migraine pills, hot compresses and ice packs when I get hit.. It's been a bad week so far and feel I'm at the end of my rope and thinking I might just have to bite the bullet and find a doctor.. My main question here is anyone know of a good informed doctor on CH in the Central West  Florida area?  I'm in the Tampa Bay area - about 40 miles north of Tampa/Clearwater area.  3 hits yesterday afternoon and 3 hits last night is about all I can take at this point and dreading nightfall ... Thanks for listening and help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Need FLorida Doctor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 7:07pm »

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org  On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 7:11pm »

Thanks Bob .. i did check the Ouch list but nothing even close to me.  Will call the local hospital/social, etc.... Thanks again for your time.
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 11:36pm »

Just because there isn't a doctor in your area listed on the OUCH site doesn't mean you have to go away.  

Please stay.   Tell us about yourself.  We care and want to help you.  None of us are doctors but together we have thousands of years of experience on this subject..

Please write back...Please

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 6:24am »

Thanks, Linda for the invitation.  I am very happy to have found this discussion group since when I first started getting these headaches I thought it was life threatening.  I have since learned so much about this disorder from you guys and all the literature and links provided.  

I do have another question (or two) though and hope you can answer them.  Last night at 11 PM my husband went combing the shelves at WalMart for Red Bull.  I've read about it here many times and since I had such a bad day and night the previous 24 hours he said he couldn't stand to watch me go thru tha agony without at least trying different things so I do not have access to the injectionable meds or oxygen.  Just like clockwork at 1 AM the headache started and I immediately drank a can of the Red Bull.  It aborted the CH and I was amazed.  I went back to bed and sure enough at exactly 2 hours later another one hits.  Now the question came to mind - how many of these drinks can I consume in such a short time span?  I did not drink another can but instead my usual pacing with ice pack to my neck and hot compresses to my forehead.  So, my question is that .. how many cans can one consume safely?  Also, I've read about the Taurine pills.  Are they a waste of time or could they be beneficial as a preventive measure?  
Last year my headaches STOPPED on 2/7... Today is 2/7 ... wouldn't it be a wonderful ironic thing!!!  Thanks for everything .. I'm not going anywhere....
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 3:14pm »

Glad to hear you'll stick around, Lucy.

Personally I cannot stand the taste of Red Bull,  so I buy the much larger cans of Rock Star energy drinks.  They just taste better to me.  I've drank 3 or 4 of them in a day but if you have oxygen to use also,  in an attempt to abort a HA you probably won't need more than 2 per day.  

I believe the benefits of Taurine pills is still up in the air among those who've used them.  Hopefully someone will come along and  see this and report what they've found.

You might want to try Melatonin just before bedtime.  That has helped a LOT of the nighttime hits for lots of people here. You can find the Melatonin in any groceryt store in the vitamin aisle.  Make sure you get the 3mg. pills and take 3 each night. (9mg. total)

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 7:45pm »

Linda, I will have to agree with you on the taste of RedBull.. It is pretty gross - especially at 1 AM in the morning.. As for Melatonin, I did buy some and they worked 2 nights for me with no breakthrough HA but then stopped working for me.  I take 2 Excedrin migraine pills before going to bed every night. It doesn't stop the headaches every 2 hours but at least lessens the severity of them.  Thanks again for your help..
IP Logged
Loric
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 5:04pm »

An idea which might be crazy, but might work - who knows.

2237 Lithia Center Ln Valrico Brandon Medical Group is a whole bunh of Dr's linked by a HMO/PPO all in the same office with the same nurse staff and all, etc.

They have all sorts of sponsors who advertise and that means freebies, at least them giving me a break as a poor college student whose insurance comes and goes.  (had it through work, went back to college, had it through my family as a student, but then was too old)  

So, if you can get in there with one of the Dr's it probably means they can hook you up, and they've yet to really ding me with an office fee - but i was an establish patient before my insurance went south.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2008, 5:04pm by Loric » IP Logged
Loric
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 5:08pm »

Come to think of it, i first went to the office without insurance.  It was my sister's doctor.  Same reason as you, needing to deal with the CH.  

So, totally look into it Smiley
IP Logged
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 12:15am »

As far as Taurine:
I found a 500mg taurine supplement at a local health foods store and started taking it with my daily supplements.  I was drinking 1 or 2 energy drinks a day also.
I started getting cramps "Charlie horses" in my calfs, neck, and shoulder and found out it is suggested that you also take B-complex, maganisum, and potassium supplements along with the taurine.  
I was using 3mg then 6mg melatonin at night and after I started the taurine the melatonin didn't help with the 2am and 4am hits anymore (I hate waking up in the middle of a k5 on it's way to a k8 before I reach the kitchen).
I discontinued the taurine after a week and I still have the stiff neck muscles on the CH side that is new this cycle.  
This cycle is winding down for now (<k6 for about a week) but next cycle I am going to get the maganisum/potassium started before adding the taurine to the supplement cocktail (I already take the b-complex).
Hope this helps.  PFDAN wishes.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2008, 12:17am by DragonSlayer » IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 12:29pm »

My Neuro, in Hollywood (just south of Ft Lauderdal)

Dr. Mayur Maniar
Sunrise Medical Group
(954) 981-3850
4925 Sheridan Street, #200
Hollywood, FL  33021

Not too close to you, but in the same state...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss