Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 7:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « newbie says thanks and has a question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   newbie says thanks and has a question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: newbie says thanks and has a question  (Read 375 times)
miss_k
New Board Newbie
USA 

newbie says thanks and has a question
« on: Feb 8th, 2008, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is a long overdue THANK YOU!!! to ch.com and everyone on this board. I am a supporter of a clusterhead, going on 5 years now. The first 2 years, neither of us knew what we were dealing with, except for these daily bouts of excruciating pain that occurred like clockwork every fall for about 2 months (around 3 am and 11 am everyday, sometimes more often). I don't need to tell anyone here what this was like for either of us. At that point I decided to start researching and I learned his symptoms were incredibly specific to CH. He also had many of the characteristics that seem to predispose men for CH.

At first, he was skeptical. He swore it was sinus headache brought on by allergies. So I would sweep and vacuum and dust every corner of the apartment, I bought a HEPA filter, and when I could bully him enough, I made him take OTC allergy meds. And still the headaches came. Based on what I had read here, I finally went out and bought some Red Bull (figuring at least it wasn't going to hurt him)--and it sat in the fridge for a year because he didn't believe it could help. Finally, one day, when an attack started coming on, I forced him to chug it. It immediately aborted his headache. It was nothing short of miraculous to suddenly have a weapon to fight this thing.  

I should mention neither of us is a fan of prescription meds, and even less a fan of docs who push them. Our main tactic for the past 2 years is taurine supplements starting a bit ahead of the onset of his cycle, plus Red Bull for emergencies. This seems to damp-down his headaches although once in a while one will break through, and at that point we just brace ourselves for a wild half-hour ride. But obviously, we are very lucky that we have not had to take greater measures than this...yet.  

One question I would like to put to you all is: do any CH'ers additionally suffer from severe Seasonal Affective Disorder? Mine does, and I am wondering, since there seems to be a circadian-rhythm issue in both cases, if light therapy might also be a help in both cases? It is interesting that my guy's headaches come on just as the days start to shorten and the weather starts to turn cold. Now we have a SAD lamp    which seems to pull him through until we can get out of town for the frigid months. All this has really made a huge difference in his overall wellness, and I wonder if by tackling the SAD we have also contributed to shortening his CH cycle and reducing the headaches to a more manageable pain level? Anyway, I was curious if there were any co-occurrences with anyone else...

Mostly, though, I would like to acknowledge the supporters and CH'ers who have written here so candidly about their experiences. Information is the first and best weapon, and I would not be exaggerating to say this board has been a lifesaver for both of us.  

Wishing pain-free days and nights to you all,

miss k

IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: newbie says thanks and has a question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 5:01pm »

Many CHeads report a connection between cycles and thetime of year. For others it's entirely random or a problem with the barometer and changing air-pressures. For me it's all to do with wins by a certain football team from New Zealand because they lie, cheat and pay the referee more than we can afford.

Either way, if your SAD lamp is working and doing no harm then don't go fixing what ain't broke.

As you say, information is our greatest weapon.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
miss_k
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 5:20pm »

Thank you for your reply, and yes, in the spirit of adding more info to the pot, I wanted to share that bit about our SAD lamp in case it might help anyone else.  

It was interesting that today's New York Times has a blog about migraines...a lot of clusterheads wrote in with comments and none of them mentioned the Red Bull strategy--some O2 and lots of meds. I think they need to be reading this forum!

And we are from Chicago USA, so lord knows if our CH problems were tied to the outcomes of our sports teams we would be in much worse shape! Wink
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 5:29pm »

First, bless you for being a supporter. My wife found this forum for me and like your husband, it saved my sanity!

The only thing I would suggest is trying oxygen. It's as close to an all natural therapy as you can get! After almost 30 years of battling this thing it is still my first line abortive. I can be completely pain free in as little as 6 minutes!

So glad you found us, you're husband is a damned lucky man to have a supporter like you!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
imfareware
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

Hello  Everyone!!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 5:48pm »

"One question I would like to put to you all is: do any CH'ers additionally suffer from severe Seasonal Affective Disorder? Mine does, and I am wondering, since there seems to be a circadian-rhythm issue in both cases, if light therapy might also be a help in both cases?"

I had mine clusters since 86 and I have been diagnosed with everything from sinus infection to TMJ, the Army even sent me to the dentist who gave me a root canal (why?  I dont know), they were going to pull my wisdom teeth and I told them to go to hell (I still have them).

I seen doctors abour SAD, and they said it could be a side effect.  So I bought a couple of those bright desk lamps, when I started my cycle I would put the lamp on and it intensified my headaches.  What I try to do during the middle of winter up here in Buffalo, NY is get the most exercise that I can.  I'm an early riser, so when the suns up, I am greeting it.  Taking Melatonin has helped keep my sleep regular.  

That has worked to keep me going through the long nights and short days.  Oxygen has helped keep the demons out this cycle, will it help for my next cycle?  I dont know, but I do keep the O2 at the house so I am ready.

Hang in there and lots of love to you and yours!!
IP Logged

Pain is temporary, Love is Permanent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss