Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Noob here »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Noob here
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Noob here  (Read 1041 times)
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

Smile that black toothed grin

Noob here
« on: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Howdy y'all.

I'm Eric (aka Perediablo). I'm 35 years old. Married, and father to 2 boys ages 8 years and 7 months.

I've had these HAs for roughly 9 years now. I've been told it was allergies, sinus infections, TMJ...one Doctor actually said "oh come on, it's not that painful). He nearly left with his office wrapped around his neck. So needles to say, I haven't mentioned it to a doctor in quite some time. Now since I have discovered y'all, I will be returning to said doctor armed with some very informative literature.  

I suppose I am an episodic sufferer. It generally hits me in Winter through Spring, then again in the Fall for about 2-5 weeks at a time. 2am-4 or 6, and lately again in the afternoon about 4. I haven't had a REALLY nasty on in almost a year.  

I just had surgery yesterday. My right knee, torn meniscus. I started to get hit in the OR holding area just before surgery. I'd been having the prequels for hours at that time (y'all called em shadows I think). Then the Doc came over and started the "I don't give a crap" IV drip. Then BOOM! it hit pretty hard and was gone just as fast. I didn't get one early this morning, and my typical shadows are not present at this time. I was only a week into the cycle. Maybe having the anesthesia broke the cycle some how? IS that possible?

OK, that was pretty long winded. I don't know if I typed enough. I'm just so happy to have found y'all.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:48am by Perediablo » IP Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

Re: Noob here
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:53am »

welcome eric to a good place @ a bad time..............i am a nubie also........................... hug being sent to you...........lets pray the anesthesia broke your cycle.......................i am sure some of those on here may be able to give you some insight on that.they are such wonderful people................dont know wat i wud do without them....................................
deb
IP Logged
Hal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

halburgiss
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 10:13am »

Great that you made it. It was an extreme relief to me to know what I had, and that I was not alone (I'm very new too). There is a wealth of information here.  

I've had 3 good nights of sleep in a row, but I am never sure if its part of a cycle, or whatever voodoo I am trying at the momemt.
IP Logged
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 11:38am »

Hi Eric,

This is your "OFFICIAL" welcome. Grin  Glad you came on board.

As to your anaesthesia question, I doubt if it interrupted your cycle.  It probably broke the current attack, an may have had a little residual effect, but it didn't kill the beast, sorry to say.  

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 1:11pm »

Welcome aboard, Eric.......We consider this website like a boat, we are all in it so we all have to row. Rowing is just helping where you can, even answering a simple question.

Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.....Now grab an oar and start rowing before someone throws you over board.....LOL  grin2
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

mc_ashes
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 3:45pm »

Welcome Eric, keep reading, keep asking asking questions. There's lots of good information and some answers to be found here.  Most importantly keep your head up, your among friends now and we understand what you are dealing with.

Mark
IP Logged
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 4:21pm »

Thanks for the welcome. There is quite a bit of information here, and I'm trying to read it all. I'm very grateful that y'all are here. It is really overwhelming, all this help and information. I am so glad I am not alone.

PS nice avatar Jonny Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2008, 4:22pm by Perediablo » IP Logged

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

coach_bill
New Board Veteran
USA 

gimmie my imitrex!!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:37pm »

Hello Eric, sorry to hear their is another one of us out there but glad to know you found us. This site is the best thing ever!! You will learn so many little things that will help that we just didnt know about, like the oxygen,  its just me but i think your going under may have had some effect, when you go under your tricking deep brain stuff, like sleep, and everything i read says thats where the beast lives, deep in your brain. Im no doctor but it's something to think about. I hope your cycle ends soon. Coach Bill
IP Logged

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 9:43am »

Well, the cycle didn't break. After taking some lortabs for the pain after surgery and falling asleep 3am was not fun. The devil brought his fiddle back from Georgia to my left brain. Dancing was not an option being on crutches. I couldn't get to the floor, so I cried on the couch. Kip 8. The nastiest I've had in quite some time. It's now 8:40 am The leftovers are pretty crappy at this point. I think me eye is falling out and the back of my neck is going to explode. My 7 month old son woke up early so my wife saw me in a pretty nasty condition. I am not too happy right now. I want to sleep. I hate you devil I really do.
IP Logged

Yorky
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

learn to meditate (or just sit & do nowt)

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 11:42am »

hi eric.
how's the knee  Wink

(keep your humour, and try to think positive thoughts...

i do beleive this helps)

what medication , do you have ?

have you tried oxygen ?
IP Logged

today is a gift.....thats why it is called the

present.
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 8:02pm »

Howdy Yorky,

As of right now I have no meds, no O2. I have not been diagnosed as of yet. I just saw the little snip of CH on the CBS early show after a hit, and thought that might be me. Lo' and behold all of the quizes and symptoms fit. I have just been dealing with them for all of these years. A REALLY hot shower to the back of the neck will sometimes kill an attack for me, but that's about it. I will be seeing my doctor this coming week. I'll have all of the info I have gotten from y'all for him. If he still does not listen then I will have to pick a new one.  

The knee is pretty swollen. I have this wonderful cryo-cuff on it. a wonderful invention. No more melting ice packs or peas. Just a jug of ice water that you lift to fill the cuff, and lower it to drain it. Taking Hydrocodone for the pain. Does nothing for the beast though Sad
IP Logged

darknight
New Board Veteran
Great_Britain 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 9:53am »

Welcome Eric! Grin

Hope you find a preventative that works for you now that you  have all the information to hand i know this site helped me!

PFD to all!!! Smiley
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 1:02pm »

Hey Eric!  Try knocking back a can of redbull the next time you feel one coming.  The 1000mg of Taurine can abort or at least dull an oncoming attack.

Have your Dr give you a referal to a Neurologist.  He'll be the one to perscribe proper prevents and abortives for you.

Till then just hang in there and check out the non-med page at OUCH-US:  

http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/nonmed.htm

Great stuff there.

As others have said, Sorry you might have CH but damn glad you found us.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 2:50pm »

The hot shower on the back of the neck takes some of the edge off for me, but I get worse ones later after having done the shower thing.  I now keep the hot water off the neck as much as I can, and even do a little cool water just before getting out of the shower and this seems to help later.  We each have our differences, I guess, but give that a try.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 3:02pm »

Hey Eric, a warm welcome to the board. A trip to a neuro is in order to eliminate all of the other nasty possibilities, but from your description I'd say your spot on with the CH diagnosis.

When you get to the neuro you will be looking for a 2 pronged attack. I'm episodic like you, I get 2 cycles a year, generally spring and fall, been dancing the dance for about 30 years.  

1: You need a preventative medication. That's something you take while you are on cycle, (getting headaches) to reduce the frequency and the intensity of the attacks. I use lithium, at 1200 mg a day, other popular preventatives are verapamil and topomax, many to read about here.

2: Then you need an abortive. The headache is here, now what? Your first line abortive should be oxygen. Using a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, with a non re breather mask, started at the first sign of an attack. I can abort in less then 10 minutes, usually closer to 6. Other great abortives are imitrex injectables and nasal sprays. Many more to read about here.

For now, try taking 12-15 mg of melatonin before you go to bed at night. It's an OTC available at vitamin and health food stores, very cheap. Many can avoid the night time terrors using that.

When you get hit, try CHUGGING  a can of red bull, rock star, any energy drink which contains the combo of caffeine and taurine, many can abort an attack that way.  

But get to a neuro and get started treating these things the right way. It IS all in your head, it's not your sinus, your eyesight, your molars, it's a slightly out of whack hypothalamus! You are no longer alone, welcome.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 5:07pm »

Welcome to Clusterville Eric. Sorry you had to find us, but it's the best place to live with CH. We're a bunch of neat folks (for the most part). There's someone awake 24/7 - and you just thought Vegas was the only town that never sleeps.... Smiley

Read all the info you can before you go to the doc. Get a referral to a neuro and then INTERVIEW the neuro. Ask how many CH patients he's treated and what he actually KNOWS about CH. If that neuro doesn't know anything - FIND ANOTHER ONE. Most of us have been thru several... We've got a list somewhere of recommended docs (someone can post a link to it - I'm too 'puter illerate to do things like that, but know it's there).  

First line of DEFENSE is O2 for most of us. Melatonin, RED BULL, coffee.

Watch out for the Hydocordone -- it can cause rebound headaches (I know that's not why you're taking it, but...).  

Now, as Jonny said, pick up an oar and start rowing - gotta earn yur keep around here....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss