Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi everyone, I'm Jzero »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi everyone, I'm Jzero
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi everyone, I'm Jzero  (Read 2566 times)
Jzero
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

Re: Hi everyone, I'm Jzero
« Reply #25 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 6:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts Mary Ann.
I had another attack this morning, it was back up near Kip7 (first time I've used this grading), so I'm not out of the woods yet, but still hopeful it's near the end.
I received more Oxygen today - I'm so glad to have some again because the constant use of injections is taking it's toll in other ways lately.  
The contractor who delivers the Oxygen is very supportive - having suffered severe migraines all her life. It really helps to have sympathetic ears/hearts.
I hope you're doing o.k. and not suffering at this time. Take care and thanks again Smiley
Kind regards, Jzero.
IP Logged
Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

« Reply #26 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 7:52am »

Hi Jzero,

Sorry to hear of your health issues - it's bad enough having CHs, let alone the other issues you have!

PS: I'm having a listen to your myspace and I like your music. I hear quite a bit of Cat Stevens in the songs.

Do you use an Ovation guitar? I'm a bit of a guitar nut so excuse the left-field question Wink
IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."
Jzero
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 8:13am »

Hi Argonaut, sorry I've not replied earlier, but as you probably guessed, the Clusters are still with me Sad
They seemed to be easing up the last few days. I don't usually count them but I had 10 through yesterday, they were mild in comparison but oppressive in their own way. Today I had 2 bad ones and then a migraine the rest of the day.
This Cluster attack has lasted 7 weeks as of today. I don't know how others fare, but I get so washed out from them.

How's YOUR poor head? I hope your 'background headaches' have eased away...
I seem to have similar to you in regard those 'spikes of pain' - I've called them 'stabs', so it was interesting to hear your description. I get different types of headaches in between, sometimes migraines, sometimes tension like headaches and others that attack my eyes.

Anyway, I really wanted to say 'thankyou' Smiley !! Smiley for your well-wishes and also for your kind comment about my songs - also nice for me was that you can hear Cat Stevens in my music Cheesy
And YES!!! That's my Ovation - my beloved Balladeer Smiley It's probably feeling a bit lonely as I've not been able to play for a while Sad but I do love my guitar Cheesy

So, you're a bit of a guitar nut you say? Cool! Cool
Do you have one? Do you sing too? Do you like Ovation guitars???

O.K. I need to take a break from the computer so I'll bid you a goodnight and many kind pain-free days/nights ahead - no pain at all of course would be my best wish - the wish we all share!

Take good care then
 - and bye for now Smiley
Jzero
IP Logged
Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

« Reply #28 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 12:08am »

Hi again Jzero,

I woke up this morning, which is a start  Grin Hopefully you are correct in saying your cycle is winding down.

I like your voice as well; for some reason they remind me of John Lennon. 'Society' is my favourite of the bunch.

I'm something of a musician as well. I'm currently in a band and we are working on some originals - we have three so far  Grin I have also written a bunch of originals and maybe more of them will be unleashed on the world.

I play lead (electric) guitar in my band and I attempt to sing. I play a Godin LG (Seymour Duncan p-90 pickups, mahogany neck and body, rosewood fingerboard). I'm also getting a Godin Freeway Classic this week, which has been modified to include Dimarzio pickups instead of the stock Godin pickups. My acoustic is a Seagull S6 Mahogany Cedar (cedar top, mahogany back, sides and neck, rosewood fingerboard).  

All my guitars are from Lasido,  a French-Canadian guitar company who hand-makes guitars. They are fantastic but sadly underrated. Their guitars are also hard to find in Australia  Angry

Apologies but I actually don't like Ovation  Grin I didn't find them comfortable to play and also didn't like their tone. Although, after hearing your records, I might give them another chance.
IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."
Jzero
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 8:32am »

Hey Argonaut, I hope you're doing o.k. How's your head been treating you?
Mine are less Cluster (which is GOOD) and more of a 3 types in 1 headache - still very painful, so I don't like this one either - damn things!

I did a search for each of your guitars and was very impressed with all the reviews! I felt like finding and playing a Seagull S6 after what I read and coincidentally, the first review for that was yours at harmony central. I couldn't believe it at first that it was your review, especially as it was dated 2002! It was nicely written too and I could definitely read your joy of ownership in there Smiley

As for Ovations, I can understand what you mean about the tone and the awkwardness of holding it - due to its contoured body, it slips easily from your lap if you're sitting to play (which I do alot). I get over that with either the guitar strap or a foot rest.
When I first saw it in the shop, I went straight passed it. It didn't appeal to me and I was looking for that 'magical' feel and sound. After a good while playing with a selection of guitars I was still unimpressed. My singing partner at the time meanwhile had picked up the Ovation and suggested I give it a play and I thought 'why not?' and suddenly, my fingers were on the strings and it just resonated with my soul, I was amazed.
Nevertheless, I didn't like the peg shaped head, nor the contoured body - they were yet to grow on me, but they did and I love my Ovation! It's funny how these things go.

Still, some years later, a friend of mine happened to REALLY love Ovations and he had 3 of them. They were the very pricey ones. I got to play them all and was actually a bit disappointed with their tone. For some reason my standard balladeer had a much nicer tone in my opinion and it has made me rethink the Ovation range. I have to admit though that I really love the looks of some of their high end guitars and if I had alot of money I'd be hunting a couple of those down, but I'd be looking elsewhere too and judging by yours and other reviews I'd be eager to meld with a Seagull acoustic.

You must be feeling pretty excited about getting your Godin Freeway Classic Cheesy It's always a nice feeling to bring a new guitar home Smiley Enjoy your special day!

Do you have any of your music online that I could listen too? What style do you write in? What genres do you like?

You're certainly very gifted. Your photos are very nice. Is the Milky & Rose site a site of yours too? If so, is that your real name or an alias? Smiley (only curious) Smiley

Lastly, I've had a few people say I sounded like John Lennon (which I take as a compliment), so thankyou again. Lately I've not sounded anywhere near what I want. Too much illness and not enough practice (that goes for the guitar too Sad ).
Still, I play when I can and that's the best I can do. My fingers are way too soft from lack of playing. I really hope that'll change soon-ish.

Anyway, I'd better finish up here so bye for now Smiley
Jzero
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #30 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 9:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Did I miss a link somewhere to either one of your music?  could you post a link for me please?
IP Logged
Jzero
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 6:15am »

Hey there beachmusic Smiley how have you been? Good I hope!
Re the link, I added it a week or so after I'd joined the family, but it's here to the left and under my name, click on the house icon and you'll go to my 'myspace' page.
As for Argonaut, she's got a link with a collection of photos, but I don't know yet if she's got any music up online, I hope so tho!
'til next time then!
Take care Smiley
IP Logged
mattscott
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional

« Reply #32 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 9:49am »

How beautiful your music is it made me smile Smiley                    Matt
IP Logged

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government and I’m here to help.
- Ronald Reagan
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #33 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 12:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Beautiful music Jzero!!! thanks for sharing.  It sounds like you are feeling better and that is good news!!!  Enjoy the good days right...
Doing much better here, thank you.
 Smiley Mary Ann
IP Logged
Jzero
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 12:45pm »

Hey, thanks mattscott Smiley - interesting word combo there!
It's kind of you to listen and I'm grateful for your comment.

How's your head? (I just read your initial post). How far in do you think you are with this cycle? I sure hope you're nearing the tail end!

I don't know if you've read my posts about dihydroergotamine injections? It seems not many here have heard of it or are able to get it. Like all the other meds people list, this one may or may not work, but if you can try some it would be great if you achieved similar results to me. I inject at home. The drawback of having to go to a Dr is that by the time you receive an injection it's often too late to do any good. When it's a Cluster, timing is everything, you've got to get to it within the first minute or two.
The first few weeks of a cycle, I can abort the attack with the injections and it will keep them away for a full 24 hrs. After about the 3 week mark, my Clusters tend to get stronger than the meds.
Fortunately oxygen helps most of the time (as long as the flow rate is high enough (usually at 15 litres per minute, sometimes at 12 and other times I turn it up full bore. I don't know what flow rate that is - it just has the letter 'P' after the 12 LPM - heh heh, I don't think it means 'Pee' for 12 litres per minute Smiley ).

Tablets aren't going to be effective during an attack. Too long for the body to absorb it. So injections, nasal sprays and even suppositories e.g. Cafergot suppositories, will be your best option where medication is prescribed.

Injections are kinder to your body too than tablets in general, for it's in a purer form, your body absorbs it completely and nearly instantly - and you need less of it.

In your initial post, you wrote 'no word on oxygen'. I wasn't sure whether you meant that your Dr hadn't mentioned it, or you meant something else.
If you haven't tried it, especially if you've not tried it at a high flow rate, please, see if you can get a supply. It's the nicest way to go for sure!

Take care mattscott! Bye for now.
From Jzero Smiley  

IP Logged
Jzero
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 12:55pm »

Woops, that's supposed to have been ...' it just has the letter 'P' after the "15" LPM mark (not 12 LPM - sorry).

Mary Ann, thank-you for listening Smiley and I'm glad you're doing better. Warm wishes to you!
Yes, my Cluster has just about petered out - phew  Kiss
I'm still getting some bad migraines tho  Angry
But they should pass soon too Cheesy

Peace and clear skies, from Jzero.
IP Logged
Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

« Reply #36 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:42am »

Hi Jzero,

Apologies for my silence over the past few days, I have been very busy and had time to read, but not to respond!

My head is better - I think I am like you, my cycle might be petering out [knock on wood!]. I was fine the last couple of days. Today, I have a bit of a shadow but it is nothing dramatic.

I hope you are doing okay as well.

Interesting story about how you came about your Ovation! I will try and find an Ovation Balladeer and have another play.  

Also, funny that you came across my review [thanks for the compliment]. I can't believe it was written that long ago; when I read it again, it was like a timewarp!  

My Seagull is actually an early model of the M6, which is one step up from the S6 series. My guitar is actually from 1999. I remember emailing Godin about my guitar once, asking what the S6 Mahogany Cedar was because I could not find a reference to it on their website. They kindly - and promptly - gave me the information.  

The music store I bought it from didn't check their facts though, so they sold it for over $200 less than its RRP Smiley

The usual S6s feature a Canadian wood called Wild Cherry for its back and sides. Wild Cherry has a similar sound to Mahogany [strong mid-tones, mild trebles, good bass] but has a softer edge. They are still nice guitars but I am more partial to mahogany back and sides because I like its resonance.

Another range Seagull have are the Artist range - they are gorgeous guitars. Some also have LR Baggs electronics, and they make great pickups for acoustic guitars. My Seagull did not come with electronics, so I am thinking of installing either a Fishman or LR Baggs bridge piezo pickup.

Lasido are an interesting guitar company. Off the top of my head, these are the guitars they make:

+ Godin - electric guitars and hybrid acoustic/electric guitars. They have some interesting ones like the dual voice and tres voice guitars which look and play like electrics, but you can switch from an electric to an acoustic sound. My ultimate guitar would be the LGx but they are quite expensive Wink

+ Art and Lutherie - their budget acoustic line; they are still very good quality guitars. I remember playing one of their $500 dreadnoughts and being blown away. I think their guitars are made with cast-off wood - i.e. wood with some visual imperfections such as a knot in the middle of the grain, which is why they are cheaper - but they are made with the same care as the rest of their guitars.

+ Simon and Patrick - their high-end acoustic guitars, and I don't think they are available in Australia anymore.

+ Norman - another high-end acoustic guitar line. I think they use composite carbon as guitar frames, as opposed to the traditional wood frames. I also don't think they are available in Australia.

I picked up my Godin Freeway last night and it is beautiful. It has a telecaster sound when played clean, and sounds quite raucous with distortion. It has a reasonably quick neck and the wood is flame maple [I think, I must check], which looks great.  

Thanks very much for your compliments about my photos. I really only started taking photos in February this year so I am still learning. I have much to learn about framing and perspectives. I also bought a new camera this week - a proper DSLR - and I'm having fun being more creative with my perspectives. The nice thing about DSLRs is the ability to manually control where to focus; with point-and-shooters, the camera automatically decides.

The most recent photos on the sunsets were taken with my DSLR and I hope to upload some more photos this weekend Wink

As for recordings - I have none online at present, but I am thinking of doing some serious solo recording this weekend and I might put some up. My band is recording either this week or next week, so I might also put those recordings up.

Milky and Rosie is not my site; it is my friend's site and she is quite crafty - which is an ability I envy. I'm horrid at doing anything manual - I can't draw, I can't cut a straight line, I just can't make things with my hands! Even my handwriting is shocking and there are times when I can barely read it!

Well, I can ramble like the best of them Wink Hopefully you will feel well enough to play more soon; I know I get grumpy if I can't play!
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:42am by Argonaut » IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

« Reply #37 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:55am »

Apologies, I missed your question about my styles and genres I like...

I tend to write in a variety of styles, but mainly blues and hard rock. I do have a few folk pieces as well  Grin

As for genres I like - I'm fairly broad-minded with my music and I like anything with a good melody and structure. Good lyrics are a bonus as well, although I can overlook bad lyrics if the rest of the song is good [with some of the metal bands I like, you can't even understand what they are saying Wink]

On the folk side of things, I like Simon and Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell, John Denver, Nick Drake, Al Stewart [he plays an Ovation too!], and Pentangle. I also like some America - especially their earlier material when they were quite folky.  

I was listening to Pentangle the other night and was blown away by the intricacies of their music. They were an amazing group.  

How about you, are you mainly into folk or are there other genres you enjoy?
IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

Jzero
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

Re: Hi everyone, I'm Jzeroi
« Reply #38 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 12:41pm »

Hello Argonaut! Smiley
Thanks for your last 2 posts.  
No worries about the delay - it's my turn now!! Besides, the net can be time consuming. I'm hoping to try to lay down a couple of tracks tonight after I'm finished here. I've slowly been getting closer to putting my time back in to it. Two days headache free is a good start! Cheesy
I'm glad your head is better and hopefully the shadows have gone now too.

You're fortunate to have purchased your M6 under it's RRP. I've had a little of the opposite happen a couple of times, so it's good to hear you got a good deal Smiley

I hope you'll let me know when you put your music up - please Smiley

Thanks for the Lasido range list. Is the 'Artist' range separate to the 'Art and Lutherie' ones? (I'll have another look anyway later).

I've not used a DSLR but always been impressed with them. It must be real nice owning one of 'em!!!
As for you starting in February??? Wow!!! It looks like you've been doing it for years - they really look great!!! Cheesy

Heh heh, funny about your handwriting Grin good thing you can type aye? Mine depends on how much of a hurry I'm in. My son might be similar to you, his handwriting has never been good. He really hates writing, it's laborious for him. He's tried a lot in the past to improve, but it takes him too long, so he writes as little as possible. He doesn't mind typing tho'.
He's also found it difficult to use scissors!

My biggest problem area has always been maths. I wish it made more sense, but I stress like crazy if I have to deal with anything too complex.

You have a good choice of musical genres.

Ah, I just went to youtube for a half hour to check out Pentangle - I'd not heard of them before!
They remind me of Clannad. I like their guitar work!! It deserves a more thorough listen tho' for the 5 songs I listened to sounded too similar on first hearing.

Cat Stevens and Alun Davies both used Ovation Balladeers. I didn't realise that until I'd bought mine!

As for my musical tastes, I like all the folkier groups/songwriters you do. I also like Supertramp, especially Roger Hodgson. He continues to be brilliant on his own. I like vangelis, Jon Anderson, Jon & Vangelis, Yes, Van Morrison, George Harrison (actually, I like all the Beatles individual members), some Lynyrd Skynyrd, some Deep Purple, some Led Zeppelin, The Moody Blues and Justin Hayward solo too, I really like Faye Wong but haven't been able to purchase her work in Australia. I've been given some of her albums by some very kind Asian students I met while at Uni., back in 1999/2000.  
And I like some Harry Nilsson, some Russell Morris, Fleetwood Mac, Eva Cassidy, Rodriguez, Bob Dylan, David Gray... quite a few I guess  Grin

Hmmm, I think I got carried away there...
I better get this posted and give you a break from my own rambling Smiley Cheesy
So, take care and - over to you!! Smiley

P.S. If you don't mind me asking? Where were you born and how long have you lived in Australia?
Bye!
IP Logged
mattus
New Board Newbie
Australia 

membermembermem ber

Email

« Reply #39 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 5:19am »

Hey Jzero, sorry I took my time to respond.

It actually makes me feel like I'm fine, reading all this. Like, my little headaches have nothing on you guys!

Good luck with yours, and enjoy the music. It sometimes soothes the savage beast.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss