Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 2:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello  (Read 543 times)
sarahbear
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello
« on: Apr 13th, 2008, 11:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I'm Sarah. Smiley

I'm new to the forum...not new to cluster headaches, though.  I've had them for about four years now, episodic. I don't know how those of you with the chronic type cope. Although I know I have cluster headaches I don't have a formal diagnosis, and I know you're not supposed to diagnose yourself, ect. but my doctor didn't take me seriously...and I don't have insurance so I wouldn't be able to go through the process of any tests to rule out other causes, ect. or to try different medications. Luckily they usually last less than a month and disappear for about a year...  

I kind of thought maybe I'd gotten off the hook, honestly, until they came back again. Talk about raining on my parade.... Undecided And not to mention not being taken seriously..

I will be going to a different doctor now though..if there was something that might work w/ aborting the headaches I wouldn't feel like they ruled my life so much.

I hope everyone here has found something that helps somewhat. Smiley

.....These things are TERRIBLE.  Angry
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 12:13pm »

Dear Sarah:

I'm sorry for your pain.  You should really try to go through the diagnostics to make sure that there isn't something more sinister at work causing your pain.

Perhaps your county could provide you some insurance through medicaid and you could get checked out, or there may be some hospital that could provide diagnostics for those unable to pay.

If confirmed as cluster headaches, please ask the doctor for high flow Oxygen with a NON-REBREATHER mask, at 12-15 liters per minute.  This helps a majority of us abort a headache in only a few minutes.

Many of us can abort a headache with a quick energy drink, the kind with taurene and caffeine.

Others will be along soon with other suggestions, I'm sure.

Best of luck to you and wishing you well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Terrell
New Board Newbie
USA 

terrell_1965  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 12:32pm »

Hello Sarah and welcome. Like you, I am new to the family as well. You will find a wealth of information and compassion here. Really take the time to fully explore the site and read. Ask questions. But stay engaged. You are among those who really understand what you are going through. How long have you been in your current cycle? And I am very sorry you are back in cycle. I am winding down. I have learned more in the last week than I have in the 19 years since I was diagnosed. There are many options through the state or local area you live in to get insurance to at least cover the basics. I live in Washing ton and I am on a sliding scale insurance plan through the state since I returned to school to finish my degree. I highly recommend after you do that you get with a doctor and get on a treatment plan that works. That is where the site and the people here will help you. You can go to your doctor armed with information. Continue to reach out.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008, 12:37pm by Terrell » IP Logged
sarahbear
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 7:39pm »

Thank you guys Smiley  

Yep I guess I am going to have to check into those things to see what my options are..and in the meantime I think I may get some energy drinks from the gas station that is a great tipSmiley

When I lived at home, my dad would get up even really late at night and go for a fast-paced walk with me if I felt a headache coming on. For some reason if I started to exercise as soon as I saw it coming, I could stop it from progressing. That was so nice of him. Unfortunately there's no way I'm going walking at 1,2,3am where I live now lol and would wake everyone up if I started jumping around.  

But that is a tip that may work for some of you, although you guys probably already figured that one out Smiley

Thanks to you guys for the welcomes and the suggestions, I appreciate it lots.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 10:45pm »

I used to go for a hard run as soon as a headache started. I could hold it dow to a 5 or 6 that way. I gotta say, firing off the oxygen and sucking air for 10 minutes is much easier and leaves me pain free. If you can't afford oxygen prescribed to you, try using welding oxygen. It's the same grade/purity as medical prescribed oxygen and a lot cheaper. You will need a modified set up to use the welding oxygen but it's very do able and very cheap.

Do try and get a solid diagnosis as it'll open windows to a lot more treatment options. And do stick around the board, we'll help any way we can.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 3:39pm »

Welcome aboard Sarah,

You've come to the right place and already received some very sound advice.  Keep getting a confirmed diagnosis on top of your "Things To Do" List.  That will make getting a prescription for oxygen possible.

In the mean time if you've not tried an ice cube or ice bag on top of your head on the hit side, you may want to give it a go.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
darknight
New Board Veteran
Great_Britain 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 9:29am »

Hey SarahBear,

The best advice i could give is listen to those on here who know, Guiseppi, batch and a whole host of others will help you with as much info and support you need so you are taken seriously and given the support and access to medication even without insurance they have other ways nad remedies, like some people can stop an attack with some red bull and ice packs, some may some may not work but im sure here youwill find something to help.

take care sarahbear  

PFD's Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss