Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New To This Site »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   New To This Site
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New To This Site  (Read 773 times)
syrs842
New Board Newbie
USA 

A GOOD NITE SLEEP ALL AROUND

ptsayers
Email

New To This Site
« on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My name is Pat I am new to this site. I actually did not know that such a site existed. I am very happy it does. I started almost 2 years ago with Cluster Headaches and I hate it more than I can say. My quality of life has gone down the tubes. Cry .
I never knew that there was such pain in life. I have been harboring a headache all day and I know it is just waiting to strike once I go to sleep. This dull throbbing pain in my left temple is just saying go right ahead go to sleep and I will come and visit later! I try everything possible to try and stop it when it happens, just like everyone I'M SURE.  I use my hands as a human vise, I rock back and forth to the point I make myself dizzy, and as you all know there is no relief, you just have to ride it out.  
I am wondering if anyone out there is aware of any OTC meds that are helpfu I do not have insurance and I can't afford to get any prescription meds. I am on Lyrica and it use to work for me now it's not.

Well nice to meet everyone, hopefully someone will get in tough with some things for me to do.

Thanks  Pat
IP Logged

Pat
coach_bill
New Board Veteran
USA 

gimmie my imitrex!!

WWW Email

Re: New To This Site
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:13pm »

welcome aboard pat. i use melatonin at night i take 9mg 1/2 hour before bedtime and it kills the night hits (mostly). hope it helps. sorry about the headache thing, feel better soon. coach bill
IP Logged

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
mattus
New Board Newbie
Australia 

membermembermem ber

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:16pm »

Hey Pat, welcome! I'm a newbie too, and have had these for a couple of years.

Enjoy the site!
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:35pm »

G'day Pat, and welcome, though I really wish you'd never needed to come looking for us.  

Over on the left side of your screen is a button marked "Oxygen Info". Have a good look there because it's the first line of defence for many ClusterHeads. Bit of mucking about, perhaps, but well worth the effort.

As Coach says, melatonin is helping many and I believe it to be freely available. There's also many references around here to kudzu which may also be worth following up.

Red Bull type energy drinks are helping many, the trick being to slam it down imediately at onset of a hit. It's apparently to do with the caffiene and taurine mix.

Ice packs can be very helpful (packets of frozen vegetables but watch out for carrots) though some people scream at the mere thought of cold and use hot packs (wet tea-towels out of the microwave).  I use both at the same time, figuring if I can't beat the bastage I can at least confuse him into submission.

Hope this helps and, please, ask as many questions as you like.  That's why we're here.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:56pm »

Hey Pat  wave

So Sorry you came looking!  But Damn glad you found us!!!

The information from the Aussie above is right on.
However he neglected to mention a common aid for many.

Gulp down several cups of strong coffee.  The caffeine will help ease the pain of mild to moderate hits if you drink it down at the first sign.  I keep brewed coffee available all the time while I'm "in cycle", in one of those thermos pitchers.  It doesn't matter if it's hot but it does taste better warmed up.

Welcome to this nut hut!   Grin
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
syrs842
New Board Newbie
USA 

A GOOD NITE SLEEP ALL AROUND

ptsayers
Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 9:24pm »

Grin I am so happy that i decided to write to you guys. As it gets closer to bedtime I get so anxious about going to sleep. I have already started my caffeine drip for the night. The only thing is I am killing my stomach with the Excedrine Migraine stuff I take. But I am gearing up for but yet another night of fighting this demon. I have my rocker in check and my handy dandy (hands) vise scrips all set and of course my poor little dog that waits patiently for me to crash after my 3rd or 4th CH. Thank God for him. I hate to have any of my family up watching me go through this crap every night. They would probably have me committed. But the little guy is so committed to being here for me, I think he wakes up before me just to wait till I get up and then he meets me in the living room. I think he's human!

Thanks for some of your advise . I will go tomorrow and get some melatonin and try that.

Thanks  

Pat

P.S. who know's make I will be here in the weeeeeeeee hours.
IP Logged

Pat
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 9:43pm »

Sweetie, stop punishing your stomach with the excedrin Migraine.  It won't help and you're  
 gonna end up with a very nice ulcer.

Honest.  we know what we're talking about.  

I'll stick around for a while and then check back in later to see if you're here.

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 11:22pm »

02 02 02 . . . try it . . . works for 70% of us to abort . . . especially if used early-on.  Even if insurance won't cover, it's cheap and no side effects.

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

Smile that black toothed grin

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 11:50pm »

on Apr 18th, 2008, 9:43pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Sweetie, stop punishing your stomach with the excedrin Migraine.  It won't help and you're  
 gonna end up with a very nice ulcer.

Honest.  we know what we're talking about.  

I'll stick around for a while and then check back in later to see if you're here.

Linda  

x2
Definitely lay off the OTC headache stuff. All that excedrin, motrin, tylenol is gonna kill your stomach. Ulcers suck. Good luck! and pain free days to you!  

Eric
IP Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 5:24pm »

I have to agree witht he O2 advice, as well as the Red Bull (or any other energy drink w/ taurene.  Rip It for instance is usually about a dollar @ WalMart for a double size can).  The key with them is to slam them, without stopping if possible at the 1st sign of a hit.

Melatonin doe not work for me Sad, but nothing works for everyone, and you will adapt and have to change remedies over time.

Kudzu has been effective for me, and does not give me the side effects I got from Verap and Lithium.  It is also a lot cheaper.  You can find it at health food stores, primarily the ones that deal with alternative diet/medicines.  The bigger chains in the malls,etc don't carry it.  You can also find it online and order it a bit cheaper than you can usually find it in the stores.

Definitely layoff the Excedrin.  It will not do anything for the pain other than make you think you are doing some good, but WILL cause ulcers and liver/kidney damage as well as give you tinnitis.  

Glad you are here.  Make yourself at home, read a lot, ask questions freely, and as you learn grab an oar and help us row this boat.

Jerryu
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 8:50am »

How far are you from Miami or Tampa?  Both have medical schools, which usually translate into clinics run by the medical schools.

Carolyn
IP Logged

If it weren't for the gutter, y mind would be homeless.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v123/tribander_3/

You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 8:31am »

Watch out for the Excedin  -- they will cause rebound headaches (and they're BAD news) if taken too regularly. Ever now and then is ok, but NOT daily. Stick with the coffee or redbull....

O2 is our drug of choice around here. Works for about 70% of us.  

Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss