Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 8:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi there! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi there!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi there!  (Read 4487 times)
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hi there!
« on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,

My name is Jeannie.  I have been logging on for a couple of weeks now.  I am very glad to have found you all but , at the same time, sorry you all are here.   I have been getting these headaches since I was 10 years old.  I am now 37.  I was told that I had migraines.  They have always occurred in the spring.  When I was a kid, I was told that I got them in the spring because of chocolate. ( I always got chocolate for Easter.)  I can remember crying and begging my mom to help me during an attack.  I think she thought that I just didn't handle pain very well.  She got migraines and didn't act like that.   When I was 21, they disappeared.  At 24, they were back worse than ever.  That was when I was diagnosed with C H.  

I have learned a lot by reading all of the info. that you guys provide.  I am grateful.    In early  Mar  I started taking Verapamil.   So far, I have not had an attack.  I have spent a couple of weeks where I have felt one coming... I think you refer to that as a shadow?   But as of now, I am doing ok.  My biggest problem right now is fear.  I can't seem to think of anything other than C H.  I worry all the time.  My husband says that I will "make myself get one" if I don't stop.  He really does try to be understanding but if you have never felt the pain, you can't really know what is is like.  I feel like I am so hard to live with.    I feel guilty even talking to you all about this because so many of you are suffering right now.  I am just worrying.

Anyway, I feel a little better. with the ammo that you all have provided.  Maybe I'll be more prepared, thanks to you guys.

Thanks for listening! Kiss
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Hi there!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:27am »

First off don't EVER aplogize to us! Wink No one here will EVER tell you it's just a head ache. We understand exactly what you mean.  

What else do you have besides verapamil? Certainly a widely recognized preventative medication that has helped countless sufferers but do you have any abortive medications? I us oxygen as my first line abortive. I can be completely pain free in as little as 6 minutes. Read the lik on the left, the three key points are:

It must be started at the first sign of an attack. Pure oxygen at a high flow rate, 15 LPM or better, using a  NON RE BREATHER  mask. Re breathers and nasal canulas are worthless for CH. I occasionally have to resort to imitrex injectables but as well as oxygen works that's the exception.

Greatest thing about oxygen is it has taken that "fear of the beast" away from me. When I had nothing to fight it with, I'd damn near start crying at the start of an attack because i knew what was coming. Oxygen gives me a "bring it on" attitude!

Glad you found us, let us know what all you use and we'll do all we can to help you.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:35am »

Hey boohoo    

So sorry you came looking  -  But damn glad you found us!!!  

Welcome to the Clusterville Nuthouse    Grin.  

Others with more knowledge about the meds will also post helpful information to answer your questions.  
There are many here who have studied this beast and will offer help to get you sorted out.  

Like Guiseppi said 02
O2 at 15 lpm with a nonrebreather mask at first sign is helpful to most,  
slam an energy drink (Taurine & caffeine) like Red Bull,  
Ice pack or a bag of frozen veggies on head  and neck.    

Again Welcome!  There is alot of info here pull up a chair and read... Read... Read...
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:44am »

I can't believe that someone has already answered me.  

Thanks!  

I have taken Prednisone, only for a week at a time.  It works while I am on it.   Imitrex is my best friend.  I have to take the pills because my insurance will only cover 2 shots a month.  ha ha right?  It is like a cruel joke.  With the pills I can at least get 9.  I have been stock piling.    I currently don't have a doctor. so I cannot get any more meds.   Hopefully I can get through this spring with what I have now.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 11:01am »

Hi Jeannie & Welcome to Clusterville

And do know that all here are very familiar with the very real FEAR of these things . . . we understand.

The second "locked topic" on this board is "Letter to Employers and Colleagues".  Print this out and give to friends/family . . . may help them understand a little more of what you go through.

02 02 02 . . .  Like Guiuseppi said, having 02 available for instant use takes away a great deal of the "fear of the beast".  I can't use triptans (some artery blockage and high cholesterol), so 02 is my only abortive . . . works for 70% of us. . . . and cheap . . . in the event you don't have insurance that will cover it.

Keep reading . . . keep asking.  The answers/info/caring/sharing you will get here comes from folks who truly know your pain..

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 11:10am »

Do you need a doctor to write a script for oxygen?
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 11:24am »

Yes . . . you do need a script for medical 02.  "12-15 lpm through a non-rebreather mask  . . . as needed"

But, if you can't go the medical route, you can get welders 02 (same stuff) . . . and there's plenty of info here to help get that set up.  Make sure you read the "oxygen info" (link on left).  If you go the welders o2 route, contact Jonny and he'll guide you through that process.   DO NOT tell the welders supply you'll be using it for medical purposes.

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 11:27am »

Yes and no! To get medical oxygen it requires a prescription. Welding oxygen is exactly the same as medical oxygen, comes out of the same tank, and does not require a prescription.  

There are some people on the board who are really knowledgeable about the "welding oxygen" option who'll post some pics and explain how to get you started. It really should be your first line abortive as it's just so danged effective for so many.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 12:16pm »

Hi Boo!  And welcome home...

You've suffered long enough.  Now its time to educate yourself to take your life back.

I found this site last year and what I've learned here has given me my life back.  What HAs I do get are much less severe than they used to be and I kill them quicker.  

I bring my oxygen tanks and my backpack everywhere I go.  It gives me the confidence to go out to dinner with the family, work full time, attend my kids activities, ... you get the idea.  You have to live between the hits.  Living in fear is not living.

Like you I'm on Verapamil.  To abort HAs I use O2 with Imitrex injections as backup.

My insurance company BCBS has dosing limits of two injections a month too. I found a Quality Care Dosing Limitation Override form on the insurance company web site.  Had my Neuro fill it out and got my quantity upped to 2 injections per week.  Not that I'm using that much.

So, push for the O2 and get your life back so you can enjoy your family and life again...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 12:28pm »

Hi boohoo,

Welcome to clusterville, Don’t worry it’s OK to cry here we all do it. Cry Cry, bitch and complain all you want it’s included in your membership.  Smiley

Don’t forget to try some redbull or other energy drinks containing tauren and caffeine it may help with those shadows your having.  

Glad you joined us Sorry you have to.
A good place to be in a bad time

Superdave Cool
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 12:31pm »

I guess finding a new doctor is the first thing I should.  

I was just wondering if any of you get anything weird before you actually get a H A?  Along with the kind of "phantom H A"  I also get this eye twitch.  It can happen for days or weeks before a  cycle.  No one else can see it... I just feel it.  Both of these ( phantom H A and Eye twitch) have been going on for a while.    I will check into  the 02.    
Thanks,

Boohoo
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 12:40pm »

I get the eye twitch before a cycle begins. Often times my eyelid will start the "lazy droop" before a cycle begins. My wife will give me the "uh oh you're eye is looking funny" before I'm even aware of it. I also get a funny "oh crap it's coming back" feeling in my stomach days or even weeks before the real cycle hits.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 1:09pm »

I feel like such a baby that it is consuming so much of my life and I haven't even been hit yet this year.  I know it is just waiting...............   Do you think worrying about it makes it more likely to happen?   Do you think that it is possible to have all of the warning signs and not get hit?  So far, I have always been right when I think they are back.  I was just hoping that taking the verapamil before getting hit would make a difference.   I usually start it after my cycle begins.  Last year I was having H A 2 a day from Mar till the end of Jun.
I don't think that the verapamil made a bit of difference.  

Thanks again

Boo
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 2:30pm »

on Apr 29th, 2008, 1:09pm, boohoo wrote:
I feel like such a baby that it is consuming so much of my life and I haven't even been hit yet this year.  I know it is just waiting...............

I know one thing - you ain't livin' right now. The beast has got you by the throat and you ain't even been hit yet. All this time he's had you is time you ain't gettin' back. And by virtue of that fact alone, he has won this round.

You gonna let him win the fight?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 7:36pm »

Sometimes stress can bring them on.  It sounds to me like your preemptive strike with the Verapamil might be doing the trick.

Stop worrying.  Find a Dr and turn the tables on this bastard.  It can be done.  I've done it myself and I'm not superman.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:02pm »

Hi Boo and welcome aboard. You are already getting some good advice here. I suggest that you share some of this info with your family if you are not connecting with then on this. It can't hurt.  

You asked if we got auras before a hit.....I did sort of. My face got warm and my eye began to tear. It's a circulatory effect. They would hit rather quickly after that and last 20 - 30 minutes and suddenly "drain away." I didn't take much other than Inderal which is not considered effective for most but I did use a technique. I hope you give it a try:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. Think of feeling your pulse in your hand. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments.  

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my neck into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

Charlie  

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:59pm »

Hey there,
Your dam right we are hard to live with.  But its not our fault.  I guess I would be pretty frustrated if my wife continuously suffered from something with no cure.  CH does consume the mind.  I had a 4 year remission but the fear of CH never left me.  This time around, I am better off as I am using o2.  But I still worry and at my worst, I want to crawl into a hole and cry myself to sleep.  Some how, we all manage to pick ourselves back up.  And when I can't pick myself up, the people here give me a swift kick back to reality.  Stick around, this is your new second family.
IP Logged
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:48am »

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions and words of encouragement.  I can tell that you all are a really nice group of people that really care about one another.  Thanks for letting me in.  I can't believe that it took me so long to find this site.  I am not very computer literate.

I have been reading some of the general posts.
I am surprised at how many women suffer from CH.  I really thought that I was a minority. There are many more than I expected.  When I was diagnosed, the Dr. said that CH in women was very rare.  That was a while ago though.  

I woke up during the night with a very strong shadow.  My right eye feels irritated and  I have begun to notice that ache in my right shoulder, neck and arm.  ( I have never been able to figure out if that is part of the HA or if it is tension due to the stress of it all.)  Still have not had the real thing though.  I am going to try to start counting my blessings rather than waiting for the worst.  

It really is nice to be able to talk about it with people that really know.  I couldn't wait to get to my computer today.  I guess that I really should get to work though.   Hope you all have a great PF day!

Boohoo/ Jeannie
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 10:24am »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 9:48am, boohoo wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions and words of encouragement.  I can tell that you all are a really nice group of people that really care about one another.  Thanks for letting me in.  I can't believe that it took me so long to find this site.  I am not very computer literate.

I have been reading some of the general posts.
I am surprised at how many women suffer from CH.  I really thought that I was a minority. There are many more than I expected.  When I was diagnosed, the Dr. said that CH in women was very rare.  That was a while ago though.  

I woke up during the night with a very strong shadow.  My right eye feels irritated and  I have begun to notice that ache in my right shoulder, neck and arm.  ( I have never been able to figure out if that is part of the HA or if it is tension due to the stress of it all.)  Still have not had the real thing though.  I am going to try to start counting my blessings rather than waiting for the worst.  

It really is nice to be able to talk about it with people that really know.  I couldn't wait to get to my computer today.  I guess that I really should get to work though.   Hope you all have a great PF day!

Boohoo/ Jeannie

oh there still aren't that many women -- they just talk a lot more!

Grin

(just kidding -- yes a lot of wimmen out there)
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 10:25am »

I am going to try to start counting my blessings rather than waiting for the worst.  

Now you're on to the right attitude, we call it "living your life between the hits". And yes. like it or not, you're part of the family now...it's like a gang...we never let you leave! Grin

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 4:13pm »

Hi again,

You guys said to ask questions so I'm asking.    

Due to increased shadows I am upping my Verapamil.  380mg is as high as I have been and what I am up to now.  I feel really tired when I am on that much and had tried to decrease it to half but  I think I tried to lower it too soon. Does it affect anyone else this way?

Boo
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #21 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 4:18pm »

Yes, verapamil makes me tired, too, Boo. Everything is a trade-off. It all boils down to which is worse, and only you can make that choice.

I'm assuming you've consulted your doc about the increase?
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 4:19pm »

I've seen people at as high as 960 a day before they found relief. That being said, I hope you are working closely with your doctor as far as your dosing levels. Verapamil is a strong medication and any increase or decrease should be monitored by your doc. Good luck!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #23 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 4:23pm »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 4:19pm, Guiseppi wrote:
I've seen people at as high as 960 a day before they found relief. That being said, I hope you are working closely with your doctor as far as your dosing levels. Verapamil is a strong medication and any increase or decrease should be monitored by your doc. Good luck!

Guiseppi

Copier.
IP Logged

Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 4:53pm »

Its kind of a long story about the doctor..................

I went to a neurologist years ago when I was in a cluster. That was when I was first diagnosed.  She gave me imitrex, prednisone and verapamil.  She prescribed 380mg at that time.    She ended up leaving the state to take another job.  I hated to see her go.  I really believe she saved my life back then.   I fooled around and didn't get another neuro until I was in another cluster.  It was such a bad time that I actually got lost on the way to the new doctor's office. I couldn't think. When I called to tell them that I was running late they said that  they wouldn't see me.  In tears, I called my GP at the time and he got me in.  I pretty basically told him what the first neuro had given me and he prescribed the same.   The GP I had has since retired and I have not found a new Dr.  I am using the meds that I have been stock piling trying to prepare for this time of year when I know I have my clusters.  I didn't even know about the 02 until you guys told me about it.   I have 27 imitrex pills and one more month supply  of verapamil left.   I'll have to get a new Dr. soon.

Hope that all made sense.  

Boo
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss