Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello Everyone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello Everyone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 497 times)
laniesha
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Hello Everyone
« on: Apr 30th, 2008, 10:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
 My name is Laniesha and I might be suffering from ch as I haven't been formally diagnosed yet. I got my first headache I say a few months ago. It woke me up out of a sound sleep and lasted for hours. I couldn't lay down and I paced for hours. It almost felt like there was a thunderstorm in my head. My father also suffers from ch. I believe mine to be episodic. Actually I'm in the middle of one right at this moment but it's only at about a 3 or 4 on the kip scale but I know it's only going to get worse. Cry I'm so glad that I've found other people besides my father that experience this. He's not much for reaching out for help, but hopefully I can get him to join as well. I'm just so grateful to be here I'm at a loss for words other than thank you.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 11:48am »

Welcome to the board I'm so glad you found us. Your first order of business is to get yourself a decent neuro, eliminate any other possibilities and get a solid diagnosis. There are hundreds of headache types, and meds that are helpful for one cause cause problems with others.

Take the clusterheadache quiz on the left, and start keeping a detailed headache diary. When they start, how fast they build, how high they get, how long the peak lasts, how fast they leave, etc. With headaches the diagnosis tends to be in the details. The more info you can provide your neuro, the better chance of an accurate diagnosis the first time around.

If it turns out to be CH, please stick around! You will not find a more comprehensive source of information on CH anywhere. Plus we're just fun to hang out with. Then get your stubborn old man, (God we men can be stubborn! Wink ) to get himself signed on here and see if he's missing any of the current treatment options that are helping so many people!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 12:48pm »

Hi Laniesha!  Welcome!

Guiseppi has given you a good start.  

Read everything.  Self education is your best weapon.  Not many Drs ever see CH so it's important that you find one that either has experience with CH or is willing to work with you.  The more you know the better you'll be able to know you are on the right path.

My Father suffered from CH.  They went away for him after about 10 years.  He never talked about them much either and died in '04 before I was diagnosed.  So unfortunately, we never got the chance to compare notes.

I do remember he would get up early even on the weekends and had to have coffee first thing.  He seemed to have found some of the things that still work for us now all by him self.

Anyway, I'm glad your Dad is still around.  Please do encourage him to join.  I'm sure he can teach us a thing or two.  Maybe we can help him at the same time.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 8:25pm »

Welcome aboard but I'm sorry you have to deal with this horror as well. I hope you stick around and do some posting.  

I hope things even out for you and perhaps this technique will help:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:  

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. Think of feeling your pulse in your hand. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments.  

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.  

I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my neck into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.  

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

Charlie  
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss