Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello!! (again) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello!! (again)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello!! (again)  (Read 1407 times)
Dan Moore
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Real men scream in pain........... .(like me)

Hello!! (again)
« on: May 9th, 2008, 8:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I posted here a loooooong time ago and then my circumstances changed and I didn't have access to the internet for awhile, so I'll start again  Smiley

My name is Dan and I have been an episodic ch sufferer for the last 9 years.  I was only diagnosed 4 years ago. I'm 27.

I'm a lefty and it always wakes me up. Normally my cycle is 4-6 weeks, October to November.

Imagine my surprise when last October I was fearing the worst...........and nothing......not a sausage.......... Grin Had I escaped The Devil??

Hold your congratulations my fellow clusterheads as I have some horrible news.

Yep, 2 weeks ago, out of the blue....Kaaablaaam!!!

The bloody headaches were back  Cry

This time round the pain lasted longer and even struck during the day. To put it mildly, I was not a happy bunny.

But there was always hope.

I decided to compare my life and environments against pain and blissful painlessness. When my headaches were running like clockwork I had been a career barman; late nights, naps in the day, booze and smokes.  

Then I changed my job. I started work in a call centre (stop laughing Tongue). No late nights, not as much booze, smoke breaks were rationed and I was drinking lots of water (that's a clue!)

Well guess what, last month I started working in a pub again and all hell breaks loose......ho hum  Roll Eyes

I didn't get on with the injection and am not a fan of pharmaceuticals, although my patience was wearing thin.

The breakthrough I have had is the water X 3 technique posted on this very site. Not 100% effective but it sure does help.

I'm now back to bother you all and offer some light relief to anyone that needs it.

I know it's difficult to keep a sense of humour during your cycle but I would probably go insane if I didn't laugh about it.

This site helps to keep me sane.

Peace out, homeys  Wink
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Hello!! (again)
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2008, 9:17pm »

on May 9th, 2008, 8:34pm, Dan Moore wrote:
This site helps to keep me sane.

Then unquestionably you are mad.  Welcome home.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Dan Moore
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2008, 9:20pm »

Indeed mad..........indeed.  

Sitting here at 2:19am and quite nervous of going to sleep..........

oh well, at least I'm not alone Shocked

(the cat is giving me a filthy look though.....)
IP Logged
icedragon
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2008, 10:03pm »

Hey Guys,
Thank you for making me feel at home.

It has been a rough week, I totally know where you are coming from, Dan, in regards to being afraid of going to sleep.  

I think I mentioned in my other post my CH started in 93' after I was in a car accident.  I was not diagnosed until 2001.  Until recently, I had not seen the Demon for more than 3 and 1/2 years.  F@#$, I thought I left them in the dust.  Never the less, finding this site gives me a feeling I find difficult to put into words.  Thanks for being here.
IP Logged
Dan Moore
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2008, 10:12pm »

The beauty of this site is that it's full of people who have had personal experiences with CH either as a sufferer or a supporter.

And it seems that there is always someone around to offer some support 24/7.

If any good can come out of having this terrible affliction then let it be making new friends  Cool
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 10th, 2008, 5:04am »

Hello Dan,
I'm sorry you have to be here but lets see what we can do to help.

Have you tried red bull or generic equivalents? I find they help alot if you chug them at first sign of a hit. I tend to buy supermarket own brands as they all have the same caffeine/taurine content (believe me - I've looked!) and they all taste equally disgusting!

Ask your doctor about Oxygen too. Used at 15 litres per minute with a non rebreather mask it's brilliant. I can abort an attack in as little as 5-7 minutes if I get on the O2 quick enough.

Hope that helps!

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Dan Moore
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #6 on: May 10th, 2008, 6:34am »

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your support, nice to hear from a fellow Limey!

As far as red bull goes, I have found a cheap alternative at Morrisons supermarket which were only four cans for £1.00!
As you can imagine, I basically bought them out of the stuff.

It's not as effective as I would like because generally when I'm woken up, I'm right in the middle of an attack and it doesn't seem to touch the sides, so to speak.

Oxygen is something I'm gonna have to look into; how easy was it to get hold of? Is it something you can obtain on the NHS?

Thanks very much!

Dan  Wink
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 10th, 2008, 7:14am »

See your doctor in the first instance.
He will fill in a HOOF (Home Oxygen Order Form) and then fax it to the O2 company for your area who will then contact you to arrange deliveries. Make sure they bring you non rebreather masks and not cannulas.

Your GP needs to mark the form "Cluster Headaches" in the comments box and also to tick the box for ambulatory oxygen so that you can have the smaller portable cylinders for ease transporting them around with you. If you need any more help, shout! I'll help gladly

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss