Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Easy freezy squeezy peas. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Easy freezy squeezy peas.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Easy freezy squeezy peas.  (Read 1986 times)
GrooveMeister
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

Easy freezy squeezy peas.
« on: May 14th, 2008, 5:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My new friend and, as it turns out, virtual neighbour Helen (LeLimey - we even share the same neuro) has suggested, amongst other things, the frozen peas trick.

Well, here I am, no hit for nearly 9 hours which is a blessing in itself except I had such a bad night my neck is burning all day. I'm almost willing the next one to come so I can see what Red Bull and peas do to me. That is without doubt the most insane thing I've ever wished for. I read chefjohn's story of the walk in freezer and think, 'what the hell am I waiting for? My head is fried, my neck is knackered. Try the peas. Try the peas.'

Almost instant relief. 30 seconds. The burning is gone. Still exhausted but hell, what can you do? After the blistering attacks themselves (The Blitz as I've grown to know and hate them) one of the worst parts is the neck after I've had several hits on the trot. It just will not let up. Peas are great and good. I'm almost having to hold back the euphoria, the night is yet to come.

Hope to get some Imigran tomorrow. My diabetic ex has quashed all my fears about injecting myself. I don't care about the volume of drugs anymore.
IP Logged
Dan Moore
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Real men scream in pain........... .(like me)

Re: Easy freezy squeezy peas.
« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2008, 8:53pm »

Good old frozen veg, eh?  I started off with sprouts but they were a bit on the lumpy side!  I have found a good alternative to veg though.  Pop down to your local supermarket and have a nose around for ice cube bags (the ones you fill up yourself).  Works a treat as you can almost mold them to the side of your head as they're flexible(ish).

The missus was getting annoyed with the mushy left-overs where I had invariably fallen asleep attached to tomorrows dinner   Roll Eyes Saves on the earache too!  Grin
IP Logged
GrooveMeister
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 15th, 2008, 2:45am »

I will experiment! 7 hours of blissful sleep. Only woke up 'cause the alarm went off which is a bit of a shame. Could have gone on for days. Got a blood test in a bit though and MUST have a shower now I have the energy. Poo!
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 15th, 2008, 8:35am »

Morning smelly pea boy!  Grin

I'm so glad you got some sleep, it makes a huge difference doesn't it? Did you ask Dr E about O2? (I showed him how to fill in a hoof LOL)

If not your doctor can prescribe it easily.

The HOOF is a Home Oxygen Order Form - hence its catchy little name! Your docto needs to say you need O2 at 15 litres per minute through a non rebreather mask and he needs to tick the box for "Ambulatory Oxyfen" as well so you can have the small cylinders as well as big 'uns. Air Products are our local supplier and believe it or not, I went there to discuss the needs of CH sufferers at their invitation too! (I'm ike nits, I get everywere!)

Get the doc to write "Cluster Headaches" in the comments box as that tells Air Products exactly what you need. He should then fax it to them andthey will contact you within 24 hours to discuss delivery etc. From then on in you order as you need it direct from them. You just need to give them 24 hours notice.

By the way, Imigran injections are approx £56 per stat dose kit which will abort two hits. This comes directly out of your doctors budget.  

Each Freedom 400 tank (small one) will abort 3-4 hits and costs a couple of quid. Oxygen doesn't come out of your doctors budget directly but is centrally funded which means on grounds of cost alone, he should be on his knees thanking you for wanting to try it! Doctors don't always know that so it's useful to be able to tell them.

Let us know how you get on!

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 15th, 2008, 8:38am »

Also Dan and Steve, Go to Asda. They have £1 sections that sell all sorts of old guff but they DO have those chemical ice packs at 2 for a £1. All you have to do is hit them to activate them and they are absolutely brilliant for keeping in the car, at work or taking on days out. I stock up every time I see them.

I have a couple of bags of smart price peas that I just keep re using. I don't eat those ones, I know that brand is my "head" med so that solves the waste problem!

Hope it helps!

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

GrooveMeister
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 15th, 2008, 9:24am »

Sleep makes a massive difference. 25 hours now since the last attack and feeling pretty bouyant. It's there lurking in my neck so I know it's still gonna come get me but just enjoying the day for the time being. Talk about wild mood swings.

I quite like the peas, must say. They're a bit like those bead seats you get in taxis as they roll around the back of your head. The non-frosting freezer probably helps so they don't clog up when I put them back. Having a couple of minutes with the peas every hour or so.

I'll certainly get a load of the chemical ice packs when I get back to work. I work in Milton Keynes directly over the road from the biggest ASDA in the world but it's a bit of a trek just now. No ASDA in Loughy but I bet the other supermarkets have it too. Will see.

Anyway Helen, can't believe I've something to teach you! Pretty much spent all the last few days on this and related sites when I'm not bouncing off the walls. OUCHUK have a HOOF you can download which is already filled in with all the necessary for CH.

http://www.ouchuk.org/html/news/HOOF%20part%20complete.pdf

All the GP needs to do it seems is fill in the names and addresses and sign it. I reckon he can do that. It looks like it has all the right bits filled in as you describe. Wouldn't mind taking a quick once over would you?

On a different note. Does anyone else really crank the stereo up when under fire? Noise doesn't affect me at all. I pick the most certifiable songwriter I can find (it may help to be XTCs number one fan, Andy Partridge, lunatic genius) and have them do their best to drown out my thoughts with their own ravings. Doesn't help the pain of course but helps the mind. Mine anyway.

Cheers all,

Steve
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #6 on: May 15th, 2008, 10:19am »

Do they not sell the blue gel, reusable ice packs on that side of the pond? We have several we've been using for years. Eventually they'll get a hole in them, at which time they get inserted into a Ziploc bag, which extends their life for another few years.

I think about freezing and thawing and freezing and thawing vegetables ad infinitum, and my stomach does a flip.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss