Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 3:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Kudzu Survey - First Week »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Kudzu Survey - First Week
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudzu Survey - First Week  (Read 22780 times)
floridian

Email

Kudzu Survey - First Week
« on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Some people have recently reported good results using the herb kudzu to prevent cluster headaches (it is a traditional treatment for migraine as well).  

This post is a quick survey for people who have taken Kudzu for atleast a week, or took it for up to a week and then stopped.  Please DO NOT post general discussion in this thread, except when filling out the survey - others threads exist for that (see http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1107368408).  

If you are taking kudzu and it has been less than a week, please wait until you either make it to a week, or decide to stop.  If you have taken kudzu for more than a week, try to answer these questions from your experiences for the first 7 days after you started.  

Also, please consider registering for CHATS if you haven't done that already.  This quick survey is not a substitute for the CH data that can be gathered through CHATS.  

The easy way to respond to this is to hit the 'quote' option for the post below with the questions - it will copy all the questions into a new post, and you can add your answers.  

Thanks, Jonathan  
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2005, 11:58am by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Kudzu Survey - First Week
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:07pm by floridian » IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 10:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1) Your Age - 28

2) Your Gender - Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? - Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? - 4

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?

About 2/year, spring and fall.  Until this last cycle they were 4-6 weeks.  This last cycle started 1 August 2004 and has continued to the present, with peaks within the cycle.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? - 6 1/2 months

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? - N/A

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? - Solaray

2 pills the first 24 hours, one in the morning, one in the evening.

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?

There was limited relief from the start.  I was able to sleep through the night.  Daytime hits were dull and muted.  Mostly feeling like shadows.  The relief increased.  There was a minor setback on day 5 when I had a beer, and it triggered some more severe CH's.  I upped the dose to 3 pills a day, and have been experiencing considerable relief.  Today is day 12.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?

5 - but I really think that beer screwed me up.

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  

At the beginning I was on Verapamil - 320mgs/day (160 2X).  I have now tapered down to 240 mgs, soon to be 160.  No change since tapering the verap.  I also take a multi-vitamin for men from GNC in the morning, and a B complex vitamin in the evening.

Also, I take 20mgs/day Prozac for depression

Not really.  I have had a couple of headaches that have been bad, but not CH's.  Dual sided headaches, centered in the temples and across forehead.  Aborted with Midrin, which does nothing for my CH.  Wether that is from the  Kudzu, from tapering the Verap, or just other headaches I have I really don't know.  

I have also been very tired.  Again, I don't know if it is from the Kudzu, or if it is because my body is adjusting to the new amount of sleep it is getting.

Edited to say: My BP may have dropped a little bit.  After a few days on Kudzu I began to feel a little light headed and short of breath when I slept at night.  Symptoms similar to when I was on 480 mgs of Verap, and I am sure my BP dropped then.  As I have tapered the Verap, this effect has begun to disappear.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  

0-1

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  

One thing that raises a question for me is the dosage.  Some people here have posted that they take a blend which is like 750 mgs.  Mine say Kudzu extract, 150mg, 2% daidzin.  On the back of the bottle it lists Kudzu root - 165mg; Kudzu root extract 150mg, of which is guaranteed 2% daidzin.  When asking about the dosage, is it more accurate to ask about the "active" ingredients?  I wonder because I have found significant relief with this mixture, which could be construed as a much smaller dosage than say, the brand taken by nani which is something like 750 mgs.  Is it better to speak of the amount of Kudzu in the mixture rather than the size of the actual pill?

Thanks,
Casey
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005, 10:48pm by clarence » IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 11:10pm »

on Feb 28th, 2005, 9:07pm, floridian wrote:
1) Your Age   47

2) Your Gender    F

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?   Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 32

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  4.5 years

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?  Planetary formulas Kudzu Recovery

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?   750 mg/ day (edited to correct mistake - again)

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  24 hours later

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 9

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   Verapamil, lithium. Neurontin, B Complex 50, magnesium, calcium

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? none

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add?? no

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2005, 3:44pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Shiraj
New Board Newbie
USA 

ow

king0fsnake

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 12:14am »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender
Male

Episodic

1 cycle every year during winter. Usually 4-6 weeks.

Started near the first week into it

Planetary Formulas

2 750 MG tablets

I got clusters at night after the second day of taking the kudzu. Before that they were only coming during the day

9.5 (Just some shadows now)

9mg of melatonin at night

No side effects noted

IP Logged
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 9:12am »

1) Your Age 31

2) Your Gender M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 16

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? N/A

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? N/A

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? 2 Years

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Nature's Plus - Each capsule: 150 mg. / 1.5% Daizen, 0.95% Daidzen

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 300 mg

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? First night some twinges on the Trigeminal Nerve, from then on, got hit only a couple of times, mostly due to external circumstances

Men's Multivitamin, Melatonin 3mg  

No noticeable side effects  

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add?? Again, like Casey said, we should all note the percentage of Daizin and Daidzin to make some sense of how much. Also as a follow up question......What is your current dose?  Mine is 900 mg a day 2 caplets with each meal

Ozzy

edited to add:   Kudzu did not work as an abortive on three occasions when 300 mg where taken at once. Waited approx an hour each time. At the end of the hour, i used a combination of cold water head submersion and then O2
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2005, 9:15am by ozzy » IP Logged
Major
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 10:46am »

Hi - I'm a supporter - filling this out for my husband.

1) Your Age 39

2) Your Gender  M  

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Episodic so far

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? <1 - First cycle started June/04

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? n/a

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 8 1/2 months

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Nature's Way Nature's Way, 613mg/1mg daidzin

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  1 cap 3x/day (note that the label said to take 2caps 3x/day.  Dosage was increased on day 5)

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?   Yes - on day 7 (two days after increased dosage)

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   Multivitamin.  Haven't used trex since starting kudzu.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?   Occassional episodes of lightheadedness.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  3

There has been a definate change in his ha pattern since starting this.  He normally gets evening hits, and these have continued, but the major difference is that they are now "tolerable" - hasn't had to use 02 to abort, but has been able to ride them out.  Still bad, but nowhere in comparison to what they were.  They are less painful, and quite short in duration (now only about 5 minutes max).  Also, he has had some shadows during the day lately which haven't happened in a long while - appears to be another change related to the kudzu.  

We are trying to source another brand with more daidzin as he is a big guy.  
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2005, 10:48am by Major » IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 11:25am »

1) Your Age  
2) Your Gender  
 Male
 Episodic
 >13 years
 2 cycles usually per year – 2-5 weeks per cycle
 1and 1/2 weeks
 N/A
Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?  
 Nature’s Way
 2-613mg capsules three times per day
 Yes, the first night (after two doses)
14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   I took a couple Tylenols the first night before bed. Also stopped drinking any alcohol and stopped any vigorous exercise for a few days upon starting the Kudzu. Once HA’s stopped I picked back up on ALL activity to previous levels.

No side effects.
 I’ve been updating on the Kudzu string as to the experience I had. Again, I have some uncertainty as to whether it was the Kudzu or an abnormal cycle. I’m going with the Kudzu for now and will try it again when I get my next cycle, starting day 1 with the Kudzu as soon I get the first shadow.  
I don’t believe it totally wipes out a cycle. I’m of the opinion that it is muting it. The only question that remains for me for days 8-14 is that the cycle eventually goes away completely as it normally would and that it is not holding it back to rear its head when I stop taking the Kudzu -- ultimately extending the length of the cycle.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 11:33pm »

1) Your Age   58

2) Your Gender   Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?   Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  3 1/2

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?   Had a cycle in August, cycle was stopped by using Prednisone.  Headaches returned after 6 months.  Broke another cycle w/Pred. Guess I need to say I cannot determine a specific cycle

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  Started Kudzu after 2nd Pred taper. Had gone 42 days total PF after Pred.  CH returned on day 43. Started Kudzu on Day 45.

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?  Nature's Way, with 1mg. Daidzin

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? took 1  3x's a day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?   Went 2 days PF, hit w/Kip 10 on day 3. I only get hit at night.  No change in CH pattern.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  5

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.    Multi Vitamin, Magnesium, Melatonin, B Complex 50, B-12, CoQ10, B 12.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?   none

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).   NA

Seems that all the hits I do have, are Kip 10's.  I can go a couple days w/no hit.   Will get hit around day 3. Then I get 2 or 3 days PF, then I get hit again.  I am not certain I was taking the correct dosage.  Have increased the dosage tonight, to what is on the bottle.  2  3x's a day.  Will take the last 2 of the dosage before bed.

BTW, on the Melatonin, I take 6mg along w/3mg TR Melatonin.

Jean

Modified to add that I take Frova for my CH.  This has worked well for me.  Have taken nothing for my CH since the Kudzu.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2005, 11:38pm by TxBasslady » IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 2:21pm »

1) Your Age51

2) Your Gender Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Episodic.....but it has been 6 months now and not looking like it is stopping nytime soon... >:(

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?15 or 16

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? one cycle....Almost exactly 10 months after the last Cluster Headache of the last cycle....Used to be 2 1/2 to 3 months....went up to 5 months last year when I got on Verapamil....off Verap...now on Zonegran as preventative of choice....and now in uncharted territory....month #6.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? Not until around 22 weeks

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?N/A

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? I started on the Soloray and now on the Nature's Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 300mgs 2X day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?no

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  7

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Zonegran 250mgs, magnesium melate, multi vitamin, synthetic thyroid, zocor, sometimes Excedrine...O2....oh....and meletonin 3mgs per night...stopped the Maxalt  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? Tightness of chest around heart...but I was having that when I was taking all the Maxalt as well...

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 2

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add?? Wish it was working for me like others on this board... [smiley=huh.gif] 

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 2:22pm by godsjoy777 » IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 8:29am »

1) Your Age:

2) Your Gender:

Male

Episodic

Eight

Typically, my cycle has hit every autumn. The autumn before last, the cycle skipped and I got hit in February with a cycle. Once again, this February, I am being hit with a cycle, after an absence of a cycle this past autumn.

Two weeks, I guess. I bought kudzu the morning after having a Kip-6, last Monday.

N/A

Planetary Formulas 750mg tablets, two tablets 3 times per day. (although I have experimented with the dosage: Some days, taking only two doses, and other days, taking as many as four.)

1 pill=750mg. Two pills, three times per day.

I first noticed a major difference after 48 hours.

10. In fact, I have been completely pain-free for the past four days.

GNC's Mega Men multi-vitamins.

Some light acne, and increased frequency of bowel activity.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2005, 9:38am by Jeepgun » IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 12:42pm »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender:  Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?:  Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?:  > 40 years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  Every other year; usually in winter; 2 months

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  My last episode was over by about a month when kudzu showed up on the message boards, but I was still getting heavy shadows every other day.

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?  Planetary Formulas Kudzu Recovery

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? two 750 mg tablets at bedtime

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  Yes, felt "ice picks" for a short period and no shadows the next day

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 6-7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 6-7

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Pravachol, atenalol, enteric aspirin, multivitamin

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? Upset stomach

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 3

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  I took kudzu out of curiosity to see if it had any effect.  It's a bit hard to tell if it did anything for me since I am just dealing with the tail end of an episode and what I experienced could easily be the cycle ending naturally.  Didn't feel like it though.  The "ice picks", which other people have reported, were definintely a new experience, unpleasant, short lived, but not painful.

IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 5:50pm »

]1) Your Age  58

2) Your Gender    F

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Episodic

4-1/2 yrs

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  Varies - first in July 1999 - 4 mos.
None in 2000,  March 2001 - 3 wks, none 2003,  Sept 2004 - 2 wks, February 2005 - am in 4th week.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  1st week

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?  Nature's Way
613 mg capsules

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 2 capsules 3 times per day as  
directed on bottle

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  Within 24 hours - CH pain level decreased, duration decreased markedly.

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? only a 2, unfortunately

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Multi vitamin, B Complex 100,
Calcium.  Was taking Imitrex but stopped when started on
Kudzu.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  Used to have CH only 1 or 2 times/day, in evenings only.  On Kudzu, started getting CH at all different times during the day and at night - not just shadows, real hits, although manageable with water and ice.  Also had other headaches - across forehead, on opposite side, etc.  Very tired because was losing sleep because of HAs.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 10  - could NOT continue to have
CH while at work.

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??    Noticeable improvement in duration and pain levels but definite increase in number of hits per day.  Started Kudzu on 2/24 - stopped Kudzu on 3/4.  CH hits are back to my normal one or two in the evening.  None during the day or at night.  It just wasn't working for me.

[b][/b]
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
dougchunyo
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 11:05pm »

1) Your Age - 43

2) Your Gender - Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? - Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? - 38

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? - Generally 1 per year early summer, but I have had cycles at various times normally a cycle lasts 6-8 weeks.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  - 2

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? - n/a

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? - Nature's way 613mg.

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? - 4 Capsules

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? - Yes, day 2  

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   - 7

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? - 7  

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). - 8

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   - multi-vitamin, b-12

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  - No

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  - n/a

Right about now in my cycle I should be getting a CH Kip 8-10 at least every other night.  I had one this week.  Since I normally get hit at night, I adjusted the Kudzu to 1 in the AM, 2 around noon and 3 before bed.  I have had only a couple of Kip 4's other than the one bad one this week.  Seems promising, but if history repeats, this will be ineffective for my next cycle.
IP Logged

"The mind is its own place; and in itself can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven."
John Donne
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 7:59am »

) Your Age 50

2) Your Gender f

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 20 years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? usually 2 cycles lasting up to 8 weeks each

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? was not in cycle when started , started it for migraines as well which occur more often in me

na
Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? natures way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 2 capsule 613 mg each

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? got no headaches and only one shadow

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   quite certain was on a migraine bender for two weeks when starting

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 8

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). quite certain (am hoping)

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   maxalt, verapamil, vit b complex, vit b2, homeopathic for ha, baby aspirin, IV meds and steroids when needed during cycle (have tried everything else)

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  none

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  na

week two here and will taper off at the end of the month. When next attacks occur will start again. Is this coincidence , I don't know but really PF

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:07pm by floridian »  IP Logged  

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

IP Logged
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 11:45am »

1) Your Age 44

2) Your Gender M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 9

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? (NA)

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? (NA)

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? 5 Years

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Natures Way (613 mg) (w/ 1mg Daidzin)

3678 mg’s (2 pills – 3 X daily)

Within 2 days there was a decrease in shadows, no effect on Cluster attacks.
 (None for CH)
 Amour Thyroid, Ketoconazole, Amitriptyline, Testosterone, Xanax and B Complex 100

Dizziness

Other health issues and experimentation with medications before, during and ongoing may make my comments on Kudzu not very reliable.  Undecided
 The “decrease in shadows” may actually be better described as a “masking of the shadows.” I still feel something going on during times that I attribute to shadows or low level CH attacks. Instead of pain, I feel dizzy, lightheaded and confusion. This was scary at first, as it felt like minor stokes, but over time, I’m getting more used to these feelings and prefer them over the shadows. I have literally slept more hours in the last week than I have in the last 3 ½ months totaled! Is Kudzu the reason? I can’t be sure on that yet due to the other health medication experimentations. But, if I’m getting sleep for any reason, I’m not going to stop what I’m doing!
 I saw in another post a suggestion that Kudzu was the “Ultimate Placebo.” I personally do not believe there is any possibility of any type of placebo having any effect on CH sufferers whatsoever. If a placebo is said to work on CH, I contest that the trial patient never in fact suffered from CH. Kudzu is not a placebo, it, as many other meds or alternatives, will probably help some people, but not everyone. I plan to continue use long enough to determine if it does in fact prove to be helpful or not.

IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

3978676 3978676   frotteur   hirvimaki
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 12:56pm »

1) Your Age  

2) Your Gender  

Male

Episodic

Approximately nine.

Two cycles per year. Usually at the change of winter to spring and summer to fall. Two to three months.

About 6.

n/a

Sunflower Market KUDZU.

2 ml (666 mg/ml Herb Wieght Equivalence).

Yes. I typcially get hit Wednesday or Thursday and then again Satruday or Sunday, after taking Kudzu on a Friday (in the afternoon), I was not hit the following Saturday or Sunday. I did, however, experience a very strange shadow, kind of a shadow of a shadow on Sunday.

I use O2 as an abortive. That is all.

None.

n/a

Thank you!! Oh, and THANK YOU!

Hirvimaki-Isi
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

Boyce
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 2:56pm »

1) Your Age 35

2) Your Gender  Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 15+

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?   Cycle comes every 2-3 anywhere from 4-12 weeks cycles duration

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 8 weeks

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? n/a

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?  Solaray Extract 150mg

2 x 300mg (morning, and evening)
now taking 4x 150mg (morning, noon, evening, bed)

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Immediately, no more 9am hits

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10, I used to get a 9AM hit, every day, haven't had one since I started Kudzu

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 8

prevent = o2
2 aspirin 3x a day (usually with the Kudzu)
9mg melatonin at bedtime
25mg benadryl at bedtime
done 3 different prednisone tapers 60mg, 60mg, 50 mg, 50mg, 40mg, 40mg, etc.....

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  Dizziness, tiredness when I took 300mg at a time....

I have more shadows on Kudzu than on Relpax, but have only had to abort a real full-blown HA with o2 one time in the week that I've traded Replax for Kudzu....

IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 2:57pm »

1. Age 55 2.Male 3.Chronic 4.14 years Chronic,23 years Episodic 5.N/A 6.N/A 7.14 Years 8.Solray Extract 150 mg. 9.150 mg.X2 10.Yes,24/30 hours 11.9 12.8 13.8 14.Nadolol,Melatonin,Voltaren,Zetia,Vasotec,Fish Oil,Norvasc,Flo-Max,Nexium,asprin.15.No 16.N/A 17.Still having hits but not as frequent,still experimenting with dosage and time taken.David
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 2:30am »

1. 48
2. Male
3. Chronic
4. About 30 years
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. 20 Years
8. Planetary Formula Kudzu Recovery
9. 750mg pill 2 times the first day
10. Yes.   After the 2nd pill
11. 10
12. 6-7
13. 10
14. Just went through my 5th day of Morphine withdrawal and doing fine. Multivitamin with B complex and Chromium. Melatonin 6mg at night for sleep aid. Zanax 1mg for Restless Leg Syndrome when necessary.
15. No
16. n/a  Pleasant fragrance in the sinus senses.
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 12:25pm »

1) Your Age  47

2) Your Gender  F

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  4 years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  N/A

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  N/A

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  4 years

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?  Natures Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  3678 mg’s (2 pills – 3 X daily)

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  No

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  0

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Verapamil, lithium, magnesium, multiple vitamin, lipitor  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  No

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).   0  

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??   No
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 6:13am »

1) Your Age: 39

2) Your Gender: Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?: Episodic. (First cycle)

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?: First cycle

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? :Can't answer, First cycle, 27 weeks so far

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?: 26 weeks

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?: NA

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?: Nature's Way
9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?: 6 x 613mg Tablets

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?: Within between 24 and 48 hours. Hard to pinpoint.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). : 8 

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?: 7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain): 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc : oh bloody hell! Verapamil 480mg, Magnesium,  B Complex, Kudzu 3678mg,  Ferrous Gluconate 1800mg per day, Calcichew D3 forte 6 tablets a day, Calciferol 6 tablets per day  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? Dizzyness when taking tablets two at a time which ceased when I split the dose over a longer period, tiredness? not sure of that is the kudzu.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). It was about a 7 while dizzy.

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  I would recommend that if anyone else feels dizzy taking them to take the tabs one at a time an hour or more apart. It worked for me.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #22 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 12:56pm »

1) Your Age  25

2) Your Gender   female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? since 2001

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? since 2003

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? Kudzu strong

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 2 tablets

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? HAs became milder

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  7, my verpamil went up to 600mg also

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? around 7

verpamil 600mg/day, magnesium, multi-vita, calcium tablets

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? nope

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  nope

Sandie

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

hzzz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 9:28pm »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender

Male

Episodic

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what  
time of year, and how long?

1, usually fall for 1 1/2 months.  This year it came 3 weeks ago

2 1/2

Nature's way

2 pills, three times a day

One attack on the 5th day of taking them and that is all in the first week.  Some shadows, increasing in intensity as the week has gone on.

Imitrex when I got attacks, Melatonin before bed 

not yet

Worked great for the first 4-5 days and then one attack.  I feel like I'm on the verge of more attacks, but haven't gotten any since day 5.   Still very much worth taking.  

[/quote]
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2005, 11:02pm by hzzz » IP Logged
Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 2:56am »

1) Your Age
2) Your Gender
Male
Chronic
N/A
N/A
4 1/2 years
Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?
Planetary Formulas
4 Tablets
No Change
14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Verapamil, Depakote, Lithium, Trex Injections, O2, Multivitamins
Not from the Kudzu
N/A
16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  Didn't seem to help me, hope it helps others
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss