Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 8:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen usage tips »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen usage tips
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen usage tips  (Read 3619 times)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

Oxygen usage tips
« on: Aug 8th, 2005, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There seems to be a lot of questions about usage and effectiveness.  Here are some ideas that seem to work for me.  BTW, I am NOT a doctor nor a respiratory therapist.  I am just a clusterhead who has tried various methods, and found some that work, for me.

If you don’t have a non-rebreathing mask
The nose canula CAN work, if used this way: Do not put it in your nose. Put it in your mouth, close your lips around it, and inhale.  Open your mouth to exhale, and then close your lips around it to inhale.  Breath only through your mouth.  Do not inhale any “room air” only the O2.

If you can’t get a moisturizer
Make your own.  Take an empty (and cleaned) mayonnaise jar (or something like that), drill two small holes in the lid, the size of the O2 air line.  Cut your hose, a foot or so from where it hooks to the tank. Stick the hose from the tank into the lid, and far enough down so that it touches the bottom of the jar.  Take the hose that goes to the mask, and stick it into the other hole, but just far enough to stick through the lid.  Seal around both hoses with a silicon type sealant.  Put an inch or two of water into the jar.  I attached mine to the tank with a bungee cord.  BTW, if you put ice cubes into the water, it will cool the O2 somewhat.  Many feel this helps it to work.

If you are using a non-rebreathing mask
I hold the mask to my face with my right hand.  I hold it firmly to my face with the palm of my hand.  When I inhale, my index finger goes over and covers the holes on the left side of the mask (the ones with the rubber valve over them), this is to make sure the valve seals fully.  I place my thumb over the holes on the right side of the mask (the ones without the valve on them).  I use my right hand, so that my thumb covers the holes on the right side.  My thumb is larger than my fingers, so it does cover the holes completely.  When I exhale, I just lift the finger and thumb (keeping the mask to my face by the palm of my hand), and let the air out of those holes.  Some people tape over them.  It works better for me, the way I describe it, as you don’t have to lift the mask, when you exhale.

When and how long to use the O2
Grab the O2 as SOON as you feel it coming on.  Speed is the name of the game.  The sooner you get on the O2, the better the success rate.  Stay on it for 15 to 20 minutes.  If it has not killed the hit, stop using it. Bear through 10 minutes without the O2, and then hit it again.  If the O2 does not work the first time, the second time is almost always the charm for me.  Something about that 10 minute break seems to do it, for me.
You don’t need to stay on it for the full 20 minutes, if it stops the hit well before that time.  BUT, stay on it for 5 minutes AFTER the last of the pain is gone.  The first and last place I have pain is just above my cheek bone, at my temple.  I press my finger into that spot, and if I still feel some pain, I stay on the O2.

If O2 does not or stopped working for you
Try it again.  I have gone through periods where it did not work at all.  There have been other periods, where it only worked about 20% of the time.  Keep trying it.  Even if it only works a few of the times, those are hits that you did not have to take imitrex or suffer though a full hit.  It has far fewer side effects than any other medication.  It is worth it to keep trying.

I hope some of these ideas will help you deal with the beast.  O2 is the only abortive I can use.  It has saved my life and sanity.  I hope you get good results from it.

Chuck

IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
rextangle

Email

Re: Oxygen usage tips
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 2:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you Chuck! 02 is the only thing I use now with some Melatonin at night. Your info will be valuable to all new users.
BUMP! Wink
Rex
IP Logged
Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Work it out baby!

172144810 172144810    
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 11:08pm »

Chuck, glad you started this, I learned something NEW about 02 this weekend.  

Of course, the blabber that I am, I was in to see my doctor for yet another problem, and he prescribed steroids.  I have the right to yell at my doctor, been going there for about 15 years now.  

So to make the long story short, I segued into a discussion about how I have come to know about the "cumulative" effects of steroids..... yadda, yadda, yadda... I end up asking him if he has clusterheadache patients, etc.

Well, we get into a discussion, (course I got the requisite questions about what the heck do I know about any of this - fine by me ) asked him if he ever prescribes 02.  He said not really.  I yelled at him some more.  Then I lecture him.  He goes to pull out the very latest edition (16th Edition) of Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine.  He said 8-15 lpm  was WAY too much 02 and that it had to be wrong...and the rebreather mask... OY....he wanted to confirm and prove me wrong. I thought I was going to end up having to argue with him some more.  

LO and BEHOLD!! It's IN THE BOOK as a valid treatment/therapeutic (don't remember the exact wording here) use for clusterheadaches.  Don't that beat a dead horse !!  

So now, when your physician refuses you, you have a reference book that your doc may keep in the office.    

Not a 100% guarantee he/she will agree.... Mind you of course, he insisted that sterioids and treatment with verapimil and/or  lithium (which I was surprised to know that he knew more than I expected) are the treatments to give because they work.  Don't have to tell you what I said to him now do you?  

Baby steps.  

p.s. I think my doctor put me back on the pain in the ass list.  

You're the man Chuck, love you-
Patty
IP Logged

You like apples? How ya like them apples?
When playing in the gym, beware of steel beams. - M. Amyx
Carve your name on hearts, and not on marble. - Charles H. Spurgeon

FYI - I am NOT a clusterhead.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 7:25am »

Thanks,  Chuck! Smiley

Used some of these the other night!

-Rori
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 6:13pm »

Tanks, Chuck   Wink

Another oxygen tip: Don't run out, always know how long your oxygen supply will last and how long it will take to get a resupply.  At 12 lpm an E tank will only last 44 minutes. An H tank will last 8.3 hours. Here is a calculator to determine how long your oxygen supply will last:

http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/pstc/backup/paraoxca.htm

BB

IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 12:24am »

Thanks, Biker.  I had seen that calculation page once before, but could not find it, when I wanted it.  Glad it is in this thread.

Next thing to add to this thread:  Does anyone know of a site or chart that lists all the common tank sizes, names, dimensions and weights (empty and full)?

Once we get all the pertinant info, maybe we can get DJ to add it to the oxygen button, or sticky it up here.

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:48am »

If you remove the head band from the mask it forces you to hold it against your face.  I hated having those straps on my face.  Plus I almost feel asleep a couple of times which is not smart.  Thanks for the tip with the mayo jar.  Gonna have to try that one, ice cold O2 sounds awesome
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 3:33pm »

Good tips Chuck, especially like the jar and ice water for the moisturizer.

Thanks,
Bob
IP Logged
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

With Him, all things are possible. ><>

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:19pm »

Thanks for posting the info, Chuck.  This stuff is pure gold. Cheesy

I just recently came here and discovered O2.  The first time I used it, I didn't know much more than to use a non-rebreather mask at 15 liters.  I work at a hospital, so the equipment wasn't an issue.  That's a good thing, because lately my hits have been coming in the middle of the morning.  

Anyway, I can't just leave my patient for 20 minutes without finding someone to cover for me, so I just sucked O2 as deeply as I could.  I found that the pain reduced considerably within a few minutes, and went back to work.  After a few more (up to 10) minutes, the pain was gone.  For me, at least, staying on the O2 longer wasn't necessary.  Just an idea for those trying to extend their tank life . . . I hope it works for someone else!

Namaste,
--Scott
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

"When no one else knows how I feel,
You run to me, with outstretched hands,
and you hold me in your arms.
Again."
--Building 429
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 12:23am »

I think this thread needs a bump to the top.  While catching up reading the site tonight, I noticed that there are many threads with people talking about the amounts of meds and triptans they are using.......but they almost never mention 02.  

Like Chuck says....if it didn't work for you before....try it again.  Make sure you have all the equipment right.  There is a picture of everything here:

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

There is also a new mask out that works great.  I got mine from Mr. Happy, so I'm not sure where you buy them....but I'll ask him.  I also use mine without the bubbler about half the time...they don't work well with a welding regulator... Grin.  It's drying on the throat and lungs....but I never notice at the time.

Even if the 02 doesn't work real well for you, and at times if has lost it's effectiveness for me, it still helps me to get that mask on and breathe.  I use it as a focus point.  Just like in childbirth when they teach you to focus and breathe through the pain.....it works the same for a ch.  I found out a long time ago that the pacing, crying, headbanging.....it only intensifies the pain.

Roxy Cool
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
ben_uk
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

100%O2

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 6:36am »

Well done Roxy, Happy you’re getting along with your mask ok
Can I quote you?

“it is saving my life at the moment” ….  
“It is simple and brilliant and is not only aborting my attacks faster but is also using way less 02 to do it.” – pubgirl

“This is truly an industrial strength mask, worthy of any CHead.  
this setup is ON TRACK, given a 9.9 by the judges, and the wave of the future.
“there is NO waiting for canned air. It's a must have item for anybody” - Mr Happy

“Its an incredible device and aborts faster than a usual mask because it allows you to just keep breathing without waiting for the bag to fill. It also ensures you get a really tight seal to the face but with maximum comfort so you really do get nothing but 100% o2. I can't recommend it enough. O2 changed my life and this masx improved on that which I didn't think possible. I can't recomend it enough so go and take a look at them at www.clustermasx.com  
A lot of us here in the UK are using them and I for one will never go back to the old type!” – LeLimey

”I have to say that it ROCKS
 If anyone has gotten weak results with O2, I strongly suggest using this thing! The soft "air gasket" on the mask seals tight to my face and the check valve works perfectly - zero leakage keeps 100% O2 flowing. The large bag provides a reserve for taking a deep breath without drawing in any room air.”  - Marc

I can certainly vouch for the clustermasx! - LeeS

“works great” –  Roxy

Just hit the link at the bottom of this message
 Shocked
IP Logged

www.clustermasx.com

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 8:45am »

Good Grief Ben, all the raving I've done about your masx and that was all you've printed?!!
I honestly cannot recommend these masx enough folks oh and Ben.. please add that they are also available in Jasper-size  Wink
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 2:48pm »

on Aug 20th, 2005, 6:36am, ben_uk wrote:

Can I quote you?

You can quote me all you like Ben.  I think I can do better than "works great"!!   Wink  

This mask is awesome.  The old masks would, after heavy usage, lose their form around the face.  It would take both hands to hold the mask in place to get a good seal.  I have to have one hand free.......something about holding and pressing the side of my head and eye, and holding an ice pack at the same time...LOL.  This mask stays in place and seals with barely a touch.  

I agree with the quote....."this mask is a lifesaver".  And I love the large bag, but I do still have to wait for it to fill.  I can empty it with about three breaths.  I also discovered that if you let the bag fill and then turn off the 02, it keeps the 02 in the bag....full....waiting for the next go around.  So no sitting there waiting for that BIG bag to fill before you can get air.

If I could, I would buy one of these masks and send one to everybody that uses 02.  They are damn well worth the money.

Roxy  Cool
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
jon019

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 10:27pm »

Hello ClusterChuck,

Although I do not use moisturizer EVERYTHING  you said is true. Its like you were there watching me! Hey everybody lissen to this guy!!!!

One question, WHERE CAN I GET THE MR HAPPY MASK.
PLEASE< PLEASE< PLEASE< I GOTTA HAVE IT.

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 11:01pm »

on Sep 14th, 2005, 10:27pm, jon019 wrote:
Hello ClusterChuck,
Although I do not use moisturizer EVERYTHING  you said is true. Its like you were there watching me! Hey everybody lissen to this guy!!!!
One question, WHERE CAN I GET THE MR HAPPY MASK.
PLEASE< PLEASE< PLEASE< I GOTTA HAVE IT.
Regards
Jon019

Praise Wotan, son......your prayers have been answered. Mask of the Gods, and possibly a moisturizer will be yours, all in the same damned package.
Give me your mailing address.....but hurry. The tide's going out, and we'll be clamming for the duration.

Time is money,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 2:36am »

Hey Chuck,
     I am a new kid on the this site - though not new to clusters ( unfortunately ) I, finally, after having these God awful things for around 25 years have found helpful info from this site.  To cut to the chase - my Doc agreed to the oxygen, but she refused to set me up with a mask or any high level dosage. I got only a tank with the hook up only for the nose - it goes up to 7 as the highest.  I read your message regarding breathing it by mouth instead.  Is this okay to do without any moisture ?  Like I said the highest this puppy will go is 7, but I sure hope it helps.  Do you know anyone who has gotten relief using it in their nose - or is that a complete waste.  I was armed with info including the mayo clinics web site - but my Doc said that was too much oxygen.  Geez... Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!  Donna
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 6:55am »

on Sep 16th, 2005, 2:36am, Donna wrote:
Geez... Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!  Donna

Buy your own stuff. The nose tubes aren't worth squat.

Get bubblers here

Get a Clustermasx here

Buy your own regulators on EBay, or give me a yell. Still got a bunch of 540's and 870's in the O2 box.

Think long term.........once you have the O2, make sure you have the right accessories for proper delivery. Don't count on anybody else to provide the Right Stuff.

You're gonna be at this for a while,
RJ
IP Logged

Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 10:44am »

Hey Mr Happy,
     Well, had 3 hits last night - You are right. I tried the basic oxygen set up for the first time - didn't do much -may have helped a hair...Also, my nose and throat became extremely dry. I was lucky this time - the first 2 hits weren't off the charts...The 3rd was though, ugh.  Okay, forgive my medical ignorance, but I am not sure what I need exactly and how to connect all this stuff.  Obviously, I need the mask and humidifier, but do I need something else ( a converter) to hook it all up? Again, I just have a big tank that goes up to 7 and the nose canula (?) Thanks for your help - I would be happy to buy any stuff that will get me through one of these horrific bastards.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 11:51am »

bump - this is still a wonderful resource on o2 usage.

Thanks, Chuck!
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 3:49pm »

excellent tips everybody got my first o2 in 10 years today and had forgotten how to use it Embarassed lol
zany
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 11:50pm »

I really hate the idea of "Bumping to the Top." If a thread is good enough, it should live on it's own.......but in this case, so many have heard O2 for so long, so often, letting it slide is no big deal. There are many that haven't heard this for the first time. Sort of like Paul McCartney getting requests for Hey Jude. He must hate the song by now, but still sings it every time just like the first. That's professionalism.

There are so few first's left in life.
At least for me, that I can still do.

O2. Cool stuff.
RJ
IP Logged

jon019

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 1:05am »

Ahh Mr Happy,

Joe Dimaggio was once asked at the end of his career (not saying you're there) why he still played so hard.

His response: There might be a kid out there who has never seen me play, I owe it to him!

I got to see you play. Awesome stuff. Thanks.

Nah nah nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, hey jude.

Jon019
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 10:12pm »

I just wanted to say Thanks for these tips, it helped me alot during my last cycle... wanted to move it to the top again..  

Thank You Again..  

God Bless Ya
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #23 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 11:58am »

bump Grin
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 6:31pm »

on Oct 30th, 2005, 11:58am, zanychef wrote:
bump Grin

Do you tip hoors _not_ to Nail you?
This thread needs no bump. It stands on it's own merit, or fades into oblivion.

Victory or Death.
RJ
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss