Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 8:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Pregnancy and treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Pregnancy and treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pregnancy and treatment  (Read 656 times)
sarahmom
New Board Newbie
USA 

This is what too many clusters has done to me...

fresquezfamily  

Pregnancy and treatment
« on: Jan 6th, 2006, 11:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hiya all!  I am/had been a severe migraine/occasional clusterhead.  Was doing really well w/my cocktail!  I became pregnant in October05.  Called my neuro immediately and was told to stop all meds!!  I was taking zonegran, verap, DHE injections, and a few other things.  They called me in the stupidest stuff (and I say stupid, because it only makes things worse...cant take it...any guesses??  Tylenol w/codeine.  like that helps..they just wanted to give me something to maybe ease a migraine?  Dont know what the hell they were thinking).  Anyways, I'm seeing my OB, and he's never had a patient like me before.  He said he was going to do some research to see if there is anything I could possibly take.  Anyone ever been in this situation or know of anyone, and what meds taken?  I'd like to offer some suggestions to my OB (as well as giving him my nuero info to contact).  My migraines are kicking it up a few notches, and starting to drain me and take me away from daily activities again.  Man, I didn't miss the headaches that I'm picking back up.  I'm afraid another cluster cycle is going to start up.  Any suggestions???  Thanks so much!!!
Happy New Year!!
IP Logged

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn, wasn't that fun!".
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Pregnancy and treatment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:22am »

OXYGEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lionsound, a chronic CH'er, migrianeur and other HA type lady just gave birth last week.

Her only treatment was oxygen.

Read the link on the menu bar!!!

When things got super bad she was allowed to take tylenol with codiene and OB said that if monitored a little stadol could be used. She didn't though.

OXYGEN OXYGEN OXYGEN!!
ICE PACKS ICE PACKS ICE PACKS

Even Excedrin Tension Headache. No aspirin nor ibuproferin which is good for pregger people and it has caffiene which in such low dose will be ok.
My wife gets terrible migrainous headaches and her OB suggested it.  
He even suggested my Oxygen tank for her migraine when I asked him.

Good luck,

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
sarahmom
New Board Newbie
USA 

This is what too many clusters has done to me...

fresquezfamily  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:28am »

Thanks so much Eric.  I'm gonna ask for the O2.  I really appreciate it.  I used it at one time for clusters, but didnt think much about it for migraine use.  

Many Congrats to Lionsound!
IP Logged

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn, wasn't that fun!".
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:34am »

on Jan 7th, 2006, 12:28am, sarahmom wrote:
Thanks so much Eric.  I'm gonna ask for the O2.  I really appreciate it.  I used it at one time for clusters, but didnt think much about it for migraine use.  

Many Congrats to Lionsound!

Make sure you have the proper set up and get one of these.

It's MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!!

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~tritech2/clusterx/index.html
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 9:14am »

Any library can obtain copies of these articles for you at small cost. Take the full citation to them.
------------
Re. special needs of women. Both of these in HEADACHE QUARTERLY, Vol X, #2, 1991: "Women and headaches:a comprehensive approach", p. 31-36.  "Special considerations in the management of headache in women", p. 37-43. The last one focuses on role of hormones in headache and how medications must be altered.
---
And go to: http://www.headachedrugs.com and put "pregnancy" in the search box. You will find some specific information. This site is operated by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2006, 9:26am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
dennisoc
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 1:31pm »

I'll try to get G to respond. Her CH stopped at pregnancy and remains in remission as she breastfeeds now with Jonah at 8 months old. She is/was chronic CH. She also has a plethora of other headacheswhich did not all cease. She took and continues to take NO drugs. Tough old gal.

I wish the Dad could claim the same about being PF....yes we are both CHers...met here and married years ago.

den
IP Logged
Georgia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If ya don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree.

pixieprincess_una   georgiacze
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 2:35am »

Congratulations, Mama!  

As a chronic CH'er with the lovely bonus of migraines, transformed migraines, and combination headaches, I was taking a plethora of preventative and abortive drugs. I got pregnant - didn't know it right away - and in my ignorance, continued with my meds. The moment I found out I was pregnant - I stopped all medications.  At 8 weeks along, I lost the baby. I don't know if it was because of the medications or if it was because of one of 13 million other possible causes - but it was enough to scare me away from medications totally and completely while trying to conceive again and during my subsequent pregnancy.

With the 2nd pregnancy - my CH started to slowly diminish, until by the end of my first two months, I was completely CH free. (Can I say YEE FUCKING HAW?!) The migraines continued however, as did the other 2 variant headaches. They seemed to be the worst around the 3-4 month mark, and then again around 8 months - but I had already decided I was NOT going to take drugs while I was pregant. I used ice, oxygen on rare occassion, lots of water, tiger balm, sex (yes, sex! it works wonders on my migraines if I catch them in time), more sex (I may have faked a headache or two), banana peels on my forehead, massage (yes, poor Dennis really got rode hard and put up wet) and in extreme cases - I would take 2 regular old tylenol and drink a cup of coffee. To my amazement, none of my migraines got out of control - meaning turning into 3 day long sagas of constant, blinding, laying in the bed unable to speak, eat, move, or think migraines. The hormonal havoc going on in our bodies during pregnancy seems to have a very positive effect on a lot of CH'ers and migraneurs. That's the good news. The super good news is: while the migraines continue 8 months after delivery - I am still CH free. I don't know if its the breastfeeding, but just in case - I plan on breastfeeding Jonah until he goes to college. And if that doesn't work - I'll just stay pregnant and barefoot 'til I die.  

More super good news: labor and delivery is a breeze compared to CH - and you get the cutest little prize at the end! Don't even give it a second thought - you deliver your baby totally naturally, without any pain meds at all.  

To sum up - my advice would be: try to go med free - its best for baby. When my mom was pregnant with me, they gave her thorazine - THORAZINE - to counteract the allergic reaction she had to the compazine they gave her! They said it was completely safe for the baby. They also told her to drink a beer or two every morning when she woke up to help with morning sickness - again, thought to be completely safe for baby. Years later, they discovered that neither of these drugs are actually safe for the baby and can and do cause horrible birth defects and spontaneous abortions. There is so much still to be learned about the drugs out there and their effect on developing babies. I just think its not worth the risk. Migraines suck, and yes they hurt, but they don't kill or deform babies.  

I'll shut up now. I hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions or just want to chat or vent - feel free to email me. Please let me know how your pg is progressing and how your head is as well. My email is:

pixiemama@peoplepc.com

Peace, love, and perpetually pregnant,
Georgia
IP Logged

la la lala la la.....(its the theme song from the smurfs in case you couldn't tell) Need a smile? Click here: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn174277/Smurfs%20-%20Smurf%20Theme%20Song.mp3
Georgia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If ya don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree.

pixieprincess_una   georgiacze
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 2:45am »

P.S. - Just wanted to share a picture of my Little Love

IP Logged

la la lala la la.....(its the theme song from the smurfs in case you couldn't tell) Need a smile? Click here: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn174277/Smurfs%20-%20Smurf%20Theme%20Song.mp3
carriefu
New Board Veteran
USA 

cfloram@yahoo.com   cfloram@aol.com
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 8:06pm »

hi...my baby is 10 weeks..and he is my biological third..the good news is its very uncommon to have ch during pregnancy...but, you might find you have migraines or BAD h/ a ...wait till you feel the difference!!!good luck
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss