Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « strange brew (tea and flowers) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   strange brew (tea and flowers)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: strange brew (tea and flowers)  (Read 526 times)
chicanohek
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

strange brew (tea and flowers)
« on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hay everybody,  

this may sound strange, but it worked, albiet for a short time...I once made myself a cup of green tea with crysanthamum flowers and rose buds (why? because I live in China!) and was about to sit and enjoy it when I began to feel the "phantoms", anyhow, I thought i could still finish the tea before i would have to retreat to my room...strangely enough, the tea managed to ward off the headache! For about 8 months I was certain that I had found a "cure" for the CH. However, my enthusiasm was short lived when later this year my "brew" failed to ward off several headaches in a row, now, it does not help at all, although i still use it to relax...has anyhone else tried this?
Additionally, everyone seems to use O2 and Imitrex, but i use Maxalt now, although its only 75% effective...any comments on my post would be greatly appreciated...hectorious
IP Logged
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

Re: strange brew (tea and flowers)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 11:12pm »

Often times when you find something that helps the pain it only works for a short time, the board is full of stories of people who have thought they found the cure only to have the CH's sneak around them.  I've found this cycle that hot seems to help, if I drink something hot and put a hot water bottle on my head it really helps, last cycle it was cold, so you can see how different treatments/methods become ineffective.  On the maxalt, I assume you're using the MLT fast disolving tabs right?  I used them for a couple weeks and they didn't seem awfully effective to me, and they gave me wicked tachycardia.  I now stick exclusively to the oxygen and the occasional shot of Imitrex if the O2 isn't working, seems to be the most effective for me.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 3:19am »

Unfourtainly tea didn't help with me... and warm showers trigger my ch (not every time, thank goodness).
But I'm glad that it helped you! Smiley Relief from the beast is always good. Smiley

Best wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 11:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Chrysanthemum parthenium (Feverfew) is said to be a prophylactic for meegraines. As it must be taken for several month to show any effects, it is hard to decide if it is useful for CH too. But maybe there is another variety of chrysanthemum in China, one that acts faster.

Ueli                  smokin

IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 11:33am »

A tea (or tincture) of kudzu root and flowers may help, too.  Smiley
Look here, learn about it, and then decide:
pain free wishes, nani

http://med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The chrysanthemum commonly used for tea in China is a 'cooling' herb - commony consumed during summer.  Some studies have shown that cooling herbs are high in anti-pyretic (anti-fever), anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant properties, while non-cooling herbs are far less likely to have these. The green tea itself isn't too shabby - it scaveneges nitric oxide and has other beneficial effects that might be supportive in cluster headache.  

Chrysanthemum is also an ingredient in 5 flower tea (Chrysanthemum morifolii, Lonicera japonica, Bombax malabaricum, Sophora japonica, and Plumeria rubra) which is used for treating "Hot Chi" conditions associated with allergy and/or infection.  

You might want to check out a tea with kudzu in it if you are herbally inclined and in China, although it seems to interfere with imitrex if taken at the same time.  The traditional use of kudzu is for conditions with 'superficial heat.'  There are many formulas that use kudzu, not sure what other ingredients and properties are in all of those.  

More Kudzu info:  
http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss