Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « what is working for me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   what is working for me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what is working for me  (Read 1375 times)
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

what is working for me
« on: Jan 21st, 2006, 6:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's a while since my last post although I still look in regularly. I'm now over 2 years PF which I put down to my 6 monthly detox diet.

My first detox produced a very intense clean out of my system (literally) about 4 years ago and it broke my worts ever 3 month CH cycle when I was at the end of my rope.  

I got lots of negative flack here when I posted about it.

A year later I had slipped back into the normal eat/drink and be merry pattern and got CH again over Christmas 2003 and managed it with trex injs. I started the detox after new year and broke the cycle after only 2 weeks. Anyway I decided to do it every 6 months for a week or 2 and I have generally had better health all round. But subsequent detoxes never seemed quite so intense.

I then started to research more and came across an article about colonic irrigation which says that most of us actually have major blockages in the colon with hard feacal mater jammed tightly in place which new soft matter pushes past to allow us to defacate. This old rotten matter in the colon can slowly poison us and give rise to many illnesses that may include headaches and possiblly colon cancer.

For months I pondored this ranging from belief to disbelief before deciding to try a colonic treatment. The first treatment was ok and much easier than I had expected, a warm water pipe up the backside and just a few cramps like when you really need to "go" badly. I had an obstruction about 30% into the colon which they cleared after about 45 mins of slight on and off discomfort. I went back for a second treatment a week later when they cleared another blockage about 70% into the colon. Then I had the final "purge" when black matter came out and then nothing else came out. I was amazed at just how much matter both hard and soft came out during these treatments and was told that some of it may have been years old!

Anyway since then my bowel movements have been a pleasure  Smiley 3 times a day a few hours after a meal and quick as a flash.

The upshot is that in the 2 months since this treatment I have had lots more energy and feel more enthusiastic about all aspect of life.

I think it may be possible that the ancient gunk blocked up in the colon could be a major factor in health and CH in particular. Getting rid of it might help stop the CH

Anyway just an idea for those open minded enough to try it.

I searched this MB and can find no other reference to colonic irrigation so assume I may be the first to make this possible connection?

John

IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
chewy

Email

Re: what is working for me
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 7:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I searched this MB and can find no other reference to colonic irrigation so assume I may be the first to make this possible connection?  

You are. In fact you might want ti inform some of the worlds leading CH researchers as I am pretty sure they have ruled that out.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 10:50am »

Chewy, don't forget, the worlds leading CH researchers are concentrating on minor things, like a bad hypothalamus or some neurotransmitters, while John takes the universal view on toxins, too numerous to identify even one of them....
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 1:27pm »

Hi Ueli - what a surprise to find you jumping on my post  Grin

While the worlds leading researchers are working on fixing my hypothalmus (which I have scant belief in due to lack of hard proof) , I am looking for something apart from Imigran Injections that work for me while I wait the next 20 or so years before until they find the cure. Even the magic mushroom guys only seem to get some temporary relief.

I am merely reporting what I have found works reasonably well for me.

As to me having to name all the "numerous toxins" that can be found in the human body, well I am not in a posotion to name them, lacking both resources to even try, so don't be such an idiot making the same statement every time I post on the subject.

My feeling is that something must be causing most of the many ailments that the worlds leading researchers are stilll lookong for a cure for (like cancer). Why are they blaming, environmental carcinogens, smoking the wrong food and the like? Thats because we are being exposed to them in todays world.

And while I am grateful for Imigran/Imitrex and the like make no mistake the quest for a cure is being left behind looking for more expensive drugs to relieve the symptoms so that the Glaxos of the world can turn a profit.

Wake up and start looking with an openm mind into what is really the problem with us.

I just turned 54 and have had CH since childhood (variously called migraines by doctors back then) The pattern has always been the same. Months and months of daily multiple headaches, then 12-18 months remission.

I don't claim this as a cure for all, but I do know that a good bodily "spring clean" has helped me to live with this affliction.

I still believe in detox!

John
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 2:15pm »

How CLEAN
is your colon?
 Grin
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
agonymum
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 8:05pm »

i think this is an interesting thread .
im willing to give anything a try and evn if it doesnt work per se for the ch attacks , i think it would be a positive thing to do for general health reasons .
i know that i am continually tired and sluggish , and i put this down to the attacks , the lack of sleep , my bi-polar drugs and general depression .  
anything that will help me to gain some energy would be good , and im grateful for the information.
i just want some quality of life back, and im going to look into the possiblity of having the irrigation done , and changing my diet considerably as i dont eat enough atall , being in pain like this stops me from eating and ive lost a stone (14lb) in 6 weeks , im 5ft 6 and under 8 stone now .
ch is really ruining my health in so many ways .

sorry this has turned in to bit of a moan , but ive just finished a kip9 and im really upset and soooo weary and fedup to say the least.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:42am »

John,

I'm glad that you shared what you have noticed.

I noticed myself that once I had said goodbye to sugar and most white flour stuff (I do eat odd pizza) ch hits became milder. I have always had lots of fruits and veggies in my diet, now I eat even more of them. I don't drink alcohol (the last time I had a sip gave me shadows in no time), I don't smoke (never have), I exercise regularly. And what's best, I've been PF since April 2005.  Grin

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 3:09pm »

I believe in cleansing....I've done it.....fasted and even "rode the board" as they say......the board they use to do a colonic......

If I didn't have to work every day and be at the office a good 10 to 11 hours, I would be more than happy to do it more......Thats just it......everything takes time and the suppliments etc are costly....I guess there are alternative ways of cleansing besides the "colonic board".......Time, money, self control ( which is often worn down during a cycle), and support.....Thats what is needed......I do remember cleansing for 4 days at the beginnibg of one of my cycles and it seemed to be an easier cycle that the rest.....if you can call ANY clyster cycle "easy"

Love you all,
Karen
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 1:48am »

Some of my thoughts on the subject:

The main purpose of the major organs of the human body is to extract the goodness from what goes in the mouth – air, food, drink, and then break down  and eliminate the waste products, which exit the body via the colon. Our system was not really designed nor has it yet fully evolved to properly remove all the waste from the numerous chemicals, pollutants, preservatives and such like that we voluntarily or involuntarily ingest. Some of it remains behind and is stored in the cells. What to name what remains, apart from “toxins” I really don’t know Ueli. I just feel it makes common sense, at least to me.

The colon is about 6ft long and is a bit like a hose pipe. In a perfect world it sits in place like a nicely coiled new hose pipe. In reality it often has a few folds, kinks and narrow places (maybe from poor posture, too much sitting, and too little exercise?). This reduces the flow and eventually causes blockages in which waste can build up. Instead of being eliminated this waste then starts to solidify and putrefy and slowly poisons the body. Have you ever had a blocked drain? The water may still come out slowly (like a blocked colon), but when the drain is unblocked a big, filthy, sticking wad of greasy sludge emerges. This is just what I saw come out of my colon!

Headaches of any type are not a disease; they are just the symptoms of an underlying problem. Overdoing alcohol, poisoning, tumours, stress (which produces chemical reactions in the body), viruses, diseases, etc can all produce violent headaches. Why not blame some on the toxins and bodily waste we cannot eliminate properly? Maybe even Dr Goadsby’s “shrunken hypothalamus theory” could just be the result of toxic poisoning? Think about it.

Why is CH seasonal or cyclic in most of us? Maybe because the body finds a way to release some of this toxic build up from time to time (a spring clean?). These toxins maybe cause the headaches until the body has finished the toxic release (or as much as it can in that time). The HA’s then stop until next time round. For Chronics maybe the body never quite stops eliminating the toxins to give some relief.

It’s time to think outside the box. I have had 40 years of these shit headaches and apart from very expensive imigran/imitrex injections (for which I have been extremely grateful), nothing until now has offered me relief. I will go on doing my 6 monthly detox, to which I have now added Colonic Irrigation to my arsenal (that’s an appropriate word don’t you think?  Grin )

John
IP Logged

SteveY
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Pain is a state of mind, my mind says it F** Hurts

srichards1958
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 5:52pm »

Actually It's Professor Goadsby.

Here in the UK thats as high as you can go in the medical field.

It's also not a shrunken hypothalamus, but an enlarged one,

Always helps to get a few facts straight.

Go stick a pipe up your bum, sorry ass  Grin

Steve
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:25pm »

I'm glad it's working for you, John.  But it doesn't seem like you've done your homework on CH.  Maybe you would find a better reception over here
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:39pm »

Dude has been here for a while.

People need to chill.

No sales pitch from this fella.

a bit of quackery has been presented by quite a few old timers here who "found" something.

Nobody ran off Den for finding that sucking on blue cheese and rubbing rotten apples on his chest worked.

Need to chill.

He's not saying buy this or try that.

It would be different if he was a hit and run shit head but the dude has been here.

Maybe I need a cleansing today because I'm getting really tired of so many people being treated like crap.

Peace!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:46pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:39pm, E-Double wrote:

People need to chill.

No sales pitch from this fella.

a bit of quackery has been presented by quite a few old timers here who "found" something.

Nobody ran off Den for finding that sucking on blue cheese and rubbing rotten apples on his chest worked.

Need to chill.

He's not saying buy this or try that.

It would be different if he was a hit and run shit head but the dude has been here.

Maybe I need a cleansing today because I'm getting really tired of so many people being treated like crap.

Peace!

I'm only speaking for myself here, Eric, but I have every right to question ( and yes, find amusement) in what gets posted here in the Medication, Treatments and Therapy section.  Lighten up.  People here should be intelligent enough to make up their own minds.
Pat
IP Logged

Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I just had to jump in here..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:22pm »

.. not to say a little colon cleansing wouldn't do us all a bit of good, but in regards to other physiological enhancements, I remain sceptical.  I have lost 50 lbs in the last two years by completely reengineering my lifestyle toward exercise and eating and now have much healthier eating habits consisting of lots of fruits and vegetables and have largely reduced starches, carbs, and protiens in my diet from the excees levels of the past.  I am sorry to report that this has made no difference in my last two cluster cycles although it has greatly improved the quality of my life in between.  I will also add that I am a smoker, however, during three of my years as a CH sufferer, I was smoke free, and again, no impact on my now 14 yr. annual CH cycle.  Go figure.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
chewy

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:34pm »

Quote:

And apparantly has learned very little.
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:56pm »

Everyone at church knows I suffer from ch because they see them and they pray for me.  Three different Good meaning people recomended colon cleansing as a way to get rid of my ha.  I just laughed it off but they all had migraines and said theres seemed less intense and frequent when cleansing.  I explained ch isn't migraines. But apparently it has some claim to helping ha.  I just don't buy it and it isn't for me.  My associate Pastor brought me an article on botox and throught I should try that.  I explained I already had and it failed and did nothing for my ch.  I love it when people want to help.  I am blessed to have such caring friends. Wink
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
agonymum
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 2:36am »

karla , hugs to you -what a lovely person you sound .

i know im a newbie but id like to say that i am willing to try anything to help myself and i was grateful for the suggestion re..cleansing .
i doubt that it will stop the ch , it doesnt tally up with the neurology of it , but i cant see it doing any harm health wise and if someone has found it gives them a better quality of life then thats all good isnt it ?
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 8:59am »

Hi Chewey/Steve

I have been around this board for over 5 years and have learnt plenty from it thanks. I have also become pretty thick skinned about responses to posting anything remotely controversial that goes against the traditional thinking around here.

As regards whether your hypothalmus is shrunk or enlarged - frankly it makes little difference to me as it is academic at this stage until "Prof" Goadsby finds the real reason why it is so, if in fact it is?

In the meantime if you haven't got anything constructive to say on the matter - then just shut up or go f..k yourself and give others with a more open mind the chance to decide for themselves.

I believe in my approach because for now it is working for me and I just want to share this with others. You don't have to try it if you don't believe it.

Cheers
John
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 9:06am »

PS. this is so wierd.

A guy at work I know suffered from numerous frequent headaches and migraines for years gave up wheat and dairy products a few years ago and it had a really good effect on cutting down on his HA's.  

THE BAD NEWS IS THAT HE DIED LAST NIGHT FORM BOWEL AND COLON CANCER.

For those who don't think a clogged colon is a big deal and does not affect your health in any way (and you would maybe never know about it anyway until it's too late) maybe this is a wake up call?

John
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 10:19am »

on Jan 21st, 2006, 1:27pm, jmorgan52 wrote:
Even the magic mushroom guys only seem to get some temporary relief.

John

I'm sure a good detox would do us all some good.
 Grin

Not to jump all over you, but that top statement isn't true.  
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #20 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 2:15am »

ok Vig - re the mushrooms - by temporary relief I just mean it's not a cure. i.e. the relief is not forever and redosing needs to be done at the next cycle - it's therefore temporary?  

As I understand it from the numerous posts it can take several doses of shrooms to help and it doesn't help everyone it seems.

The detox is also not a cure. I believe (for me at least) it breaks the CH cycle or can prevent my CH. I believe the colonic cleansing just helps to get to the "detoxed" state more rapidly.

Just for the record I am NOT a detox or colonic evangelist. I have nothing whatsoever to gain from posting this stuff. I just genuinely want to try and help anyone here who this might work for.

Maybe it just works for me, but until more people are prepared to give it a try and PROVE me wrong instead of just putting the idea down as snake oil without giving it a try, perhaps because they are narrow minded and their particular form of intuition tells them it's all bullshit then I will go on reporting WHAT IS WORKING FOR ME.

I have been TOTALLY drug free now for the about 2 years on my "therapy". Not even an Aspirin. Not even an Antacid. In the last 30 years I cannot remember  ever being able to go more than a month without some sort of headache or heartburn or suchlike.

So you guys who are still ok with putting (dangerous?) triptans, cortisone, painkillers, halucinogenics (and too much junk food, nicotine, caffiene etc) and much more into your body, thats fine by me. bUT... For those who like me, are looking for a drug free solution maybe give it a try and see.

My 2x 45 minute each colonic treatments cost me about 50$US. I pay more than that for a 2 pack of trex injections!

John

IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 8:59pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 1:48am, jmorgan52 wrote:

Why is CH seasonal or cyclic in most of us?  

I think it’s because the hypothalamus controls circadian rhythms. Clusterheads have a broken hypothalamus. Get used to it.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
floridian

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:47pm »

Good to hear from you, John!  

The wheat and dairy connection your friend reported is interesting - my wife has hashimoto's disease (autoimmune thyroid disease), and she went from misery to normal when she cut out the wheat.  

Although sceptics like Ueli will demand to know exactly what 'the toxins' look like and what their chemical formula is, it is pretty clear that some foods are more allergenic than others.  In the case of wheat, the gliadin has been associated with immune activation and the worsening of autoimmune disease.  Which is not to say that wheat is 'The Cause' - just that my wife gets cold, turns sluggish and is a real PIA if she accidentally eats a little wheat, and she is energetic and pleasant the rest of the time.  

And that relates to CH how??  Not sure, but several researchers have talked about the neuro-immune hypothesis, where both the immune system and neurotransmitter system are off, and they irritate and aggravate each other.  Allergies can raise IgE antibodies (which are elevated in clusterheads).  Allergies can cause 'sterile inflammation' - the production of interferon, TNF, Interleukins and other immune chemicals even when there is no infection.  And this sterile inflammation happens in CH.  Damage to the gut lets more undigested protein into the blood, which could play a role in blood coagulation, or cluster related inflammation.  Not proven, but not disproven.  Not sure that wheat, dairy or any other particular food is the culprit, but those foods are more likely to cause allergic reactions than fish, apples, and celery.  

About the colon cleansing and your friend that just died - people with problems digesting wheat are at increased risk of lymphoma, intestinal lymphoma, carcinoma of the small bowel, cancer of the stomach and oesophagus, and other cancers. The chronic damage to the intestines causes lots of problems, as does the chronic overstimulation of the immune system.  

I believe that diet can play a much bigger role than most docs would say - fasting can have a big effect on coagulation of blood, and that alone could benefit some people.  A modified fast / detox diet could also result in a lowering of allergens, which could benefit some people. I agree with you that it isn't a cure, but I'd bet that you aren't the only person that can benefit from the detox diet.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:50pm by floridian » IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #23 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 11:24am »

Thanks for your level headed support Floridian.

I have had some PMs and email correspondence on this subject with a few people from this board over the years, but most have found it hard to do the detox or had indifferent results. Buit after all not everyone who tries gets results from shrooms or even trex

I am looking for a bigger pool of people willing to give it a try and report back. Maybe this will work for others, but the noisy sceptics amonst us (Ueli et al) probably put them off trying it.

John

What I am offering with the colon cleansing suggestion is maybe a quicker and hopefully more positive end result.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss