Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 4:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Xango »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Xango
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Xango  (Read 1238 times)
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

Xango
« on: Jan 24th, 2006, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Everyone!
I have been a cluster sufferer for about 20 years now.  I was chronic until my Neuro got me on the right dose of Verapamil, now I'm episodic with a bunch of cycles throughout the year.

My major cycle starts in January/February and lasts for about 3 months.

My cycle started early in January (earlier than usual) and my Dr. put me on steroids.  High dose, to start - as always this stopped the cycle, but I always end up with the cycle returning once I taper the meds.

Well... I saw someone on this site mentioned Xango juice and that it was helping them.  So, I said what the *$#% and gave it a try.  

I have been on it for over a week.  The steroids tapered to zero yesterday.  I also have intermittant migraine that I treat with Excedrin and Imitrex if it gets really bad.
On top of everything I have a cold - which sometimes triggers my cluster cycle, also.

Since on the Xango I have taken no Excedrin and have not even had a shadow cluster.

I'm not claiming this is the miracle for Clusters.... It's way too early to tell if it will even work long term, but it does seem to be helping.  I read that the Mangosteen juice is an anti-inflamatory so I wonder if it is keeping the steroid rebound from happening.  Even if this keeps the migraine away, helps me taper off of steroids, and decreases my imitrex use I would be very happy!

I will keep you posted on my progress.  Hoping it's not like some supplements I've taken that work for a month and then stop dead.

BTW... I am taking 1 ounce - 3 x per day.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

Re: Xango
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 3:12pm »

I was given a bottle of this stuff for free by a friend who suggested I try it.  I haven't opened it because I know it is an Amway type product (that is what my friend told me who gave it to me).  I might actually give it a try, but this stuff is really expensive and 1 of those "cure all" things that I am very reticent to even try.  

By the way, at $30 a bottle this junk is VERY expensive.

IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 7:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

http://chetday.com/mangosteen.htm
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 7:58pm »

Bottom line from Ueli's link above.

Quote:
In my opinion, what we have here is simply an overpriced fruit drink. Fruit drinks are often healthful beverages. But the only reason I can see that the promoters of mangosteen can get away with charging $37 for this product is that they are playing on patients' hopes and fears in a cynical way. Without the health claims, open or implied, the product could only be sold for at most $5 or $6 (which, for example, is the cost of antioxidant-rich pomegranate juice).

The mangosteen phenomenon is a reprise of the aloe vera, gingko biloba, and especially the noni juice story, complete with exaggerated claims for the health benefits of an exotic fruit. It should come as no surprise that both the President and the Chief Financial Officer of Xango once worked for Morinda (now called Tahitian Noni International).

... The patient loses twice - by not having the fruits of serious research and by being deceived by slick operators posing as friends and benefactors. Some may even opt for unproven miracle juices in lieu of more certain therapies that might save their lives.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2006, 7:59pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 9:21pm »

on Jan 24th, 2006, 3:12pm, FramCire wrote:
I was given a bottle of this stuff for free by a friend who suggested I try it.  I haven't opened it because I know it is an Amway type product (that is what my friend told me who gave it to me).  I might actually give it a try, but this stuff is really expensive and 1 of those "cure all" things that I am very reticent to even try.  

By the way, at $30 a bottle this junk is VERY expensive.

Not just an Amway-style product - Costco wharehouse stores carry it for about half the price of the MLM stuff, about the same as pomgranate juice. Not cheap, but a month's supply for the price of an imitrex shot isn't too bad if it helps you.   I have also seen tablets which claim to contain more alpha-mangostin at a lower price.  

While the jury is still out whether it helps people with clusters, there is a bit of anecdotal evidence that it might, and no evidence that this food is harmful.  

It is definitely hyped by some marketers.  But the sceptics that automatically dismiss it for that reason are also going beyond evidence and reason. Ueli's article claimed that there were 'only 19' scientific articles on the active ingredients in mangosteen.  A quick perusal of Pubmed shows that is an under-exaggeration, and 4 of those '19' articles show that it contains a potent inhibitor of the 5-ht2a/2c serotonin receptors, as well as an antihistamine.  Given the fact that other proven meds (zyprexa, kudzu) are also 5-ht2 inhibitors, it is logical to assume that mangosteen might do the same, if the mangostin compound is strong enough/present in high enough amounts.  

Is it proven?  Not yet.  But it isn't irrational to try it if you are so inclined.  Wouldn't it be great if there were an herb with all the benefits of kudzu, but which didn't make some people fart a lot??  That hope keeps me going.  

Quote:
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 1998 Jan;357(1):25-31.  

Gamma-mangostin, a novel type of 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A receptor antagonist.

Chairungsrilerd N, Furukawa KI, Ohta T, Nozoe S, Ohizumi Y.   Department of Pharmaceutical Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.

Quote:
Planta Med. 1996 Oct;62(5):471-2.

Histaminergic and serotonergic receptor blocking substances from the medicinal plant Garcinia mangostana.

Chairungsrilerd N, Furukawa K, Ohta T, Nozoe S, Ohizumi Y.

Quote:
Br J Pharmacol. 1998 Mar;123(5):855-62.  Related Articles, Links

Effect of gamma-mangostin through the inhibition of 5-hydroxy-tryptamine2A receptors in 5-fluoro-alpha-methyltryptamine-induced head-twitch responses of mice.

Chairungsrilerd N, Furukawa K, Tadano T, Kisara K, Ohizumi Y.

Department of Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.

Quote:
Eur J Pharmacol. 1996 Oct 31;314(3):351-6.  
    Pharmacological properties of alpha-mangostin, a novel histamine H1 receptor antagonist.

Chairungsrilerd N, Furukawa K, Ohta T, Nozoe S, Ohizumi Y.   Department of Pharmaceutical Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.

IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 9:22pm »

I am not a supporter of astronomically priced fruit juices especially when you can get OTC natural products that will do the same job.

I use a natural product here in Oz known as Kaprex; it contains Rosemary 2.6g, Hops 1.5g & dried olive leaf 50mg.
All of these are natural anti-inflammatory extracts and costs only around A $35.00 for 60 tablets taken twice a day gives you 1 months worth for about A$1.18/day.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 7:56am »

Does it have a straw attached to the container ?

Grasping for the straw would be poetic justice.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 8:00am »

Barry,

Aspirin (or willow bark for purists) is a very powerful and innexpensive OTC anti-inflammatory.  For about one US cent per day, it reduces inflammation, reduces the risk of some heart diseases, and may reduce the risk of some types of cancer (particularly colon cancer).  But does it improve serotonin metabolism in a way that might help clusters?  No evidence of that.  

The dried form of mangosteen costs US $14 for a months supply from Swanson Vitamins.  The juice costs 2 - 3 times that if bought from a large retailer, and perhaps 6 to 9 times that if bought from an inneficient MLM distributor.  And one tablet of Amerge triptan cost me approximately $50 a few years ago.  

IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 10:16pm »

Thank's Floridian

I had completely forgotten about Asprin and it's qualities.
One tends to miss the forrest when all you can see is the tree's.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 4:39pm »

Well.. I have no intention of becoming a Marketer of this or any other product.

I'm still cluster free, which could be coincidence.  I won't really know for several months.

I do agree that the product is over-priced, but I have not had much success with other supplements and if I take Aspirin for too long I start having all kinds of side-effects.  I take the Aspirin to cut the migraines I get from rebounding.

So... if it helps cut the cluster or migraine or even just cuts the crap I have to ingest (without costing me a lot more) then I'm gonna keep using it.

At least it hasn't given me any negative side-effects at this point....

As I said I don't think this is the cure-all (for clusters or anything else), but if it helps without side-effects... I'm gonna keep taking it.

Mark
IP Logged

MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 4:41pm »

And yes... I will readily admit that I will grasp for anything that will help decrease the clusters, the migraines, and the side-effects!  I've been doing migraine for 40 years and cluster for almost 20.  I'm really ready for it to end now!

But... aren't we all?
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 8:35pm »

on Jan 26th, 2006, 4:39pm, MarkHW wrote:
As I said I don't think this is the cure-all (for clusters or anything else), but if it helps without side-effects... I'm gonna keep taking it.

Mark

Good on you Mark

I think all here will agree that if it works for you go ahead.
Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

[img]
jckgales
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 6:54am »

MARK
HI - READ YOUR POST ABOUT THE JUICE  JUST WONDERING IF IT IS STILL HELPING YOU.  I WAS THE ONE WHO POSTED ABOUT IT A WHILE BACK  AM NO LONGER SELLING IT . I HAD HELP WITH IT ALSO. STOPPED IT FOR A WHILE AND THE PAIN CAME BACK. SO NOW IM ON PRED. AND STARTING BACK ON THE JUICE.   LET ME KNOW, AM COURIOUS.  IM SUPPOSE TO BE RAMPING UP DEPAKOTE WHILE TAPERING OFF PRED. BUT REALLY DONT WANT TO GO ON ANY MORE MEDS. SO IM GOING BACK ON JUICE IT IS COSTLY BUT  I REALLY THINK IT HELPED BETTER THAN ANY MEDS YET.  
JACKIE
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss