Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 9:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: melatonin  (Read 607 times)
troy

Email

melatonin
« on: Jan 27th, 2006, 8:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hello everyone, it's been three months and still in this cycle. I'm so thankful for this site it is a refuge I hold dear. My question this time for those of you who have had success with melatonin what brand name do you use and where do you purchase it I've tried natures pride nine mgs with no success. Am I using the wrong brand?
IP Logged
boo-t-full
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

nine mg is a LOT.  The recommended dose is less than 1mg, and 3mg is considered almost extreme.  Some people don't respond to supplements like melatonin, just like some people aren't affected by caffeine, your body may just not react to it.

Here is a really good article (non-cluster specific.)

http://newtimes.rway.com/1997/052197/cover.htm
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:05am »

on Jan 27th, 2006, 8:44am, boo-t-full wrote:
nine mg is a LOT.  The recommended dose is less than 1mg, and 3mg is considered almost extreme Kidding me?Some people don't respond to supplements like melatonin, just like some people aren't affected by caffeine, your body may just not react to it. TRUE

Here is a really good article (non-cluster specific.)

http://newtimes.rway.com/1997/052197/cover.htm

Incorrect in regards to using melatonin as a preventative for Clusters. For regular sleep yes but not for preventative value.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=11843873&dopt=Abstract

Not everyone responds to it.  
I have had success with several different brands.
You may also want to try mixing a standard and extended release.

Good luck

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
boo-t-full
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:07am »

Sorry, didn't mean to imply melatonin was good for anything other than a sleep aid.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:12am »

on Jan 27th, 2006, 9:07am, boo-t-full wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to imply melatonin was good for anything other than a sleep aid.

No apologies here!

Breathe and learn for you and your boyfriend Wink
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 10:18am »

I use sundown brand, purchased at Publix Supermarket.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 12:17pm »

I've used Schiff and Swanson Vitamins brands, both to good effect.  For me, it is better to start using melatonin each night as soon as I suspect I am going into a cycle.
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 1:49pm »

Another Melatonin question.  I have taken 9 mg for the last 2 nights and my daytime headaches  (the next days) are longer and worse.  My nighttime headaches last night didn't respond to the O2 either.

Should I stop, or do I need to keep it up because it takes a few days (week, whatever) to build up and work.

I really don't mind going through the extra pain if the reward is sleeping at night or better days ahead.  Is it normal to have bad days BEFORE it works, or should i just give up the melatonin?
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 7:34pm »

Wish I knew.  Melatonin might work in several ways. It might have a direct effect on blood vessels and neurotransmitters.  Or it might be resetting the circadian clock. Or both.  The initial studies suggested it was useful only for episodics (suggesting a circadian role), but more recent studies found it can help chronics as well.  My guess is that chronics require more time for the M to work, maybe larger doses as well.  Like I said before, I am episodic and believe it works best for me when my sleep gets snarky and I use melatonin to hammer and bang my sleep back to normal.  So I take a small dose (0.75 - 3 mg) every night at the same time.  

Also, evidence is that clusterheads have low melatonin production year round, regardless of whether they episodic/chronic or are in cycle if episodic.  So a small dose might make sense to try to normalize things even if the beast is not banging on your head box.  

IP Logged
Dragonman
New Board Newbie
Australia 

Dragonman Never giving Up :)

Email

Re: Hypothalamus/Melatonin/Carcadian rythms
« Reply #9 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 7:18pm »

Hi everyone,
I read this in a scientific magazine on line, thought it may bring some light to the hypothalamus/melatonin/carcadium rythms aspect of a possible cause of CHs...its only short but the direct connection also to the retina I thought was very interesting. The Anteria Hypothalamus area apparently swells when we are in cycle, would that swelling put pressure on the optic tract which runs directly to the retina.. just a thought about is there a correlation.
We treat the symptoms to get through to stop the pain.
Is there any info to the possible cause and imbalance wiyhin the body thats causes CHs relating to this article.
Anyway PFDAN to all of you and this is the short statement I read this morning
DM

A turning point came three years ago when biologists traced the human circadian clock to two small regions of the brain's hypothalamus, known as the suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCN). The giveaway clue was the discovery inside the SCN of receptors for melatonin, a hormone long linked to circadian rhythms. Each no bigger than a grain of sand, the SCN lie at the base of the brain, near to the optic tract, a nerve that runs directly to the retina.
IP Logged

YaBBC
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #10 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 9:32pm »

OK OK NOW IM ERKED!

I posted almost the same question a little over a month ago and I was told by several to take 9mg a night.  I have been now for going on two months and have really noticed nothing so what is it. How much do we take?  How long do we take it before we might see some help?

GOOD VIBES TO ALL

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #11 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 10:00pm »

I started on 9 mg a night-got hit the first night, but haven't had a nightime it since (4 months).  Doesn't work for everyone-nothing seems to-I get mine through Puritan Pride-cause it's buy 2 get three free.
Kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss