Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 3:53am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil Vs. Verelan? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil Vs. Verelan?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil Vs. Verelan?  (Read 746 times)
Sheena
New Board Newbie
USA 

SByers281

Verapamil Vs. Verelan?
« on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 2:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok, I'm trying to be prepared when I go see the doc.

Does any one have any experience with Verelan and/or Verapamil SR? Are they the exact same stuff, or does one work better than the other?

Also, any experiences with Indocin?

Thanks in adavance!
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:24am by Sheena » IP Logged
Elecourt
New Board Newbie
France 

Email

Re: Verapamil Vs. Verelan?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 4:29am »

I'm under verapamil 240 for more than 6 years now. I used to take 2 a day and now I'm up to four a day.
I didn't notice any side effect. It does not bother for any activities. Just the legs feel heavy sometimes.
IP Logged

Eric
JonB

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Trapp,

I've been using Verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan, etc) for about 10 years. I feel that it is effective in reducing severity. Unfortunately, I have to get all the way up to 480mg/day before it would stop the clusters from coming. At that dosage I am far too dizzy, etc. Right now I am taking 80mg 2-3 times a day and I know it helps to reduce severity.
I believe 3 divided doses of 80mg IR is better than the 240SR.

Indocin is a anti-inflammatory drug and not really indicated for clusters as far as I know.

Take Care,
Jon
IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:42am »

on Feb 2nd, 2006, 2:06am, Trapp wrote:

Does any one have any experience with Verelan and/or Verapamil SR?

Also, any experiences with Indocin?

From everything I've read, the REGULAR verapamil formulation works much better for cluster headaches than the extended or sustained release pill.  The "SR" pill is more convenient - but you're looking to help your headaches - not for convenience, right?

Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker (one of the first of that type med) one of the earliest uses was to LOWER blood pressure. Another "on-label" use was to control some types of heart rate irregularities. So that means it may mess with your blood pressure and heart rate and heart rhythm.  You MUST talk to your doctor and LISTEN to what he/she says about taking this med (or changing the dose once you've started it.)  Many CH'er's have found Verapamil to help prevent cluster headaches and have taken large daily doses without bad side effects. Others were not so lucky. I haven't heard (or read) anyone say it aborted his cluster headache (i.e. relieved a headache as it was happening.) Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

For me - it didn't prevent my cluster headaches (i.e. didn't stop the cluster cycle.) The severe constipation it caused while taking it, the generally crappy feeling it gave me, AND the fact that verapamil didn't seem to help  were reasons my doctor and I looked for something else.

Indocin is the grand-daddy of NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) sorta-like ibuprofen, naprosyn and a bunch of others.  It has a history of working well for arthritis, gout and a few other things.  But it will kick your stomach's ass! Severe GI bleeding happens more than sometimes with this  medication.  It's an "off-label" drug for Hemicrania Continua - that's a cluster-type headache that gone on continuously 24 hours a day, every day for more than 6 months.  Don't take it for the "usual" cluster headache.

We're not doctors or pharmacists here (at least most of us aren't) and even if we were  - you MUST talk to your doctor and get it straight about your meds with him/her.

Good luck!
Squanto
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Verapamil is the generic name, the name of the chemical stuff.

It comes under different trade names, as Covera, Calan, Isoptin, Verelan and about 50 more.

So, the brand name doesn't matter.
But the experts recommend to use the regular release version, not the slow release, sustained release or delayed release version, i.e. nothing with a SR, HR or ER suffix.  

PFNADs, Ueli                  smokin
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:57am »

Indocin is good at treating cluster headache derivative type ha.  It is good to try this first because it is the only medicine those ha will respond to.  That way you can rule out those types of ha right away by trying it first.  Rather that waiting years to try it if that might be what you need.

Verapamil dose may need to be as high as 960mg.  Don't be afraid to go high to see if it helps.  Then if it doesn't try it with lithium 900mg.  Sometimes the combo works well when it doesn't do anything with the 2 drugs seperetly.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Ming
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 8:24pm »

I've been on and off Verapamil for over five years. Doctor gave me Verelan last time around (he had a lot of samples) - I didn't notice any difference except the Verelan was shaped different.
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 9:47pm »

I'm on 480 of Verapomil (2x240) and I dont see any side effects for me and the HAs have been fewer and less painful.  

I wouldn't bump up your dose of Verapomil (or anything else) without consulting a doctor.  The last thing I read said that they suggest an EKG for patients OVER 480mg/day.  

In fact one of the doctors I know said flat out that there was no way I was perscribed 480mg/day.  He was SHOCKED.  I didn't tell him that 480 was nowhere near the highest I have heard of.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss