Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Water »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Water
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Water  (Read 1624 times)
Elecourt
New Board Newbie
France 

Email

Water
« on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 4:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I discovered the "water treatment" on your site and and I was wandering if anyone knows the way it works ? The point is I started it about three days ago, and luck or not my attacks are less painfull and also I went down from 8 a day to two a day.
Last night I even had one and surprisingly it went away with two glasses of water.
So if anyone could tell me some more about water, I'd be gratefull.
IP Logged

Eric
Jenny G
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 2:43pm »

I just started a medication (unrealted to headaches) that makes me extremely thirsty, therefore I have been drinking tons of water (with ice).  When I start to get really parched, I can feel shadows coming on, so I just drink, drink.

This has made a signifigant impact on the kip level, they are much more "bearable" if you want to call it that.

The one day I was away from my water, they were awful. I noticed that when the creature wakes me at night, I am thirsty, so I drink a large glass of water and the bastards seem to never hit their full potential or duration. Although, it is still early into my cycle....
IP Logged

"I think it's wrong that only one company manufactures the game Monopoly."
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Can't add much other than ...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:48pm »

... I learned about it here recently also, and things have just seemed to improve slightly.  Every little bit helps.  The easiest way to lose a pond is to find sixteen ways to lose an ounce.  I am glad you are getting some relief.
Lots of great advice and support here.
Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Can't add much other than ...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 4:08pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:48pm, Richr8 wrote:
 The easiest way to lose a pound is to find sixteen ways to lose an ounce.  

LMAO that's got to be about the best description of this science practice of cluster treatments we all use, that I've ever seen!  Good one!  Smiley

My husband had success with the water treatment when it was first brought to the old ch.com board in 1998.  It totally ended a cycle for him.  But never did again in entirety.  However, he still does use the water water water treatment when he first goes into cycle and he says it does make his hits easier to take.  Now that he's sworn completely off conventional meds for the next cycle, I'm sure he'll get more religious about the water treatment.  (His doc told him not to do it when he was on lithium and then, verapamil, for fear it would wash all the meds out of his system.  It's a LOT of water to drink and not real easy to accomplish!)

Thanks, Jonny, for letting me know about this thread.   Kiss

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:41pm »

Staying well hydrated, though not necessarily to the water X3 extent, seems to help keep the shadows and minor hits away for me. And water X3 helped me break up a cycle some years ago.  

I also picked up a trick - the cold water chug - it sometimes works:

At the first sign of an attack drink down a full quart of cold water as quickly as you comfortably can. Try to get it all down within a couple of minutes. It seems to help if you swallow so the water washes down the back of your throat.  

I have had this knock out an attack in five to ten minutes. But it doesn’t always work.  And it’s not recommended for situations without easy access to facilities.

I suspect (who knows?) it is the cold, not the water, that does the trick. Last kip 5 (slapback from a shroom dose) I had, I hit it with the cold water chug and then stood on the concrete basement floor in bare feet. The beast was gone in 5 minutes, but I shivered for 15 minutes and peed for 20.  

And I liked it.

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 2:44am »

Shoot me if you like, but I think that maybe the reason the water treatment works for some people is that it helps to flush the toxins out of your system by unblocking all the crap stuck in your colon that is poisoning you and causing your hypothalmus to go wonky.

Ueli won't believe this  Grin
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 3:56am »

I'm a keen water drinker. Always have. So I'm so happy to read that it has helped with ch. For me, though, water treatment didn't work. But that fact doesn't keep me from drinking lots of water! Wink

PF days & nights to all,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

CHTom

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 3rd, 2006, 2:44am, jmorgan52 wrote:
Shoot me if you like, but I think that maybe the reason the water treatment works for some people is that it helps to flush the toxins out of your system by unblocking all the crap stuck in your colon that is poisoning you and causing your hypothalmus to go wonky.

Ueli won't believe this  Grin

Could work, depending upon where your brain is located
Smiley
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 2:43pm »

laugh
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 3:40pm »

To Jmorgan, as little as science actually seems to understand the body, it won't suprise me if we learn 10 years from now that cluster headaches were caused entirely from wearing underwear that's too tight!!! Until then, throw out every idea you've got, all are free to take or ignore whatever they read! PF days and nites to all.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:51pm »

actually, the water treatment was originally brought to us by a doctor who lived in South Africa who just happened to be a cluster sufferer himself.  He believed the reason why this treatment works for some is that it changes the salts balance in your system.  I dunno.  I'm just the messenger when it comes to the water treatment.  Doc Jerry never did come back here after he posted his findings.  I'm hoping that means he's enjoying remission now.  
IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #11 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:24pm »

Well I meant I thought the cold water chug worked as an abortive due to the cold; chilling the head from the inside and redirecting blood to deal with all that cold water in your gut.

Keeping well hydrated may indeed have to due with salt balance. When dealing with the leftovers from the alternative treatment, I find that getting a little dehydrated is an invitation to the hard shadows  

And I find that salt also brings on the shadows and minor hits. A little salt is no problem, but a bowl of chips or canned soup is asking for it.

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #12 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 2:50am »

I am sticking by my theories relating to a "clean" body equals a healthy body!

The more I research the detox and colonic cleansing the more I realise the strong link between the colon and the hypothalmus. The hypothalmus controls just about everything in the human body, from our moods to our heartbeat to our digestive system.

This needs proper nourishment, and the colon is key to this. If it contains years of hard acummulated waste that is festering away in our sewage system this affects every single organ, gland and lymph system.

The connection is pretty clear to me.

As to why water/detox etc does not help everyone clear the system (colon), I am beginning to think it depends on just how clogged the individual colon is. For some it may be very clogged, leading to all sort of ailments to tiredness, overweight, cancer, and the evil headaches.

And Tom - just because th ebrain is not close to the colon does not mean our digestive and waste management system does not equally feed or poison the whole of the body depending on what it contains.

John
IP Logged

JonB

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 7:06am »

Well, most doctors kind of smirk or scoff when I tell them about water treatment.
I have found that large amounts of cold water/ice water can have an abortive effect. However, I have never found that large amounts of water throughout the day will act as a preventive.
My theory on why it works as an abortive is not so far fetched in my view.....
Cluster are caused -at least in part- by ballooning blood vessels. Thus, blood pressure comes into play as a factor. I believe putting a large amount of cold water into the stomach will cause a sudden change in BP.

Just my thoughts.

Jon
IP Logged
CHTom

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 11:59am »

on Feb 4th, 2006, 2:50am, jmorgan52 wrote:
I am sticking by my theories relating to a "clean" body equals a healthy body!

The more I research the detox and colonic cleansing the more I realise the strong link between the colon and the hypothalmus. The hypothalmus controls just about everything in the human body, from our moods to our heartbeat to our digestive system.

This needs proper nourishment, and the colon is key to this. If it contains years of hard acummulated waste that is festering away in our sewage system this affects every single organ, gland and lymph system.

The connection is pretty clear to me.

As to why water/detox etc does not help everyone clear the system (colon), I am beginning to think it depends on just how clogged the individual colon is. For some it may be very clogged, leading to all sort of ailments to tiredness, overweight, cancer, and the evil headaches.

And Tom - just because th ebrain is not close to the colon does not mean our digestive and waste management system does not equally feed or poison the whole of the body depending on what it contains.

John

You are right-I think that Ex-Lax would do wonders for CH pain-clean colon, here I come!
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 12:08pm »

Quote:
As to why water/detox etc does not help everyone clear the system (colon), I am beginning to think it depends on just how clogged the individual colon is.

Your so off base that your not even in the ball park. I hope a newbie looking for some help and relief isn't paying attention to your ridiculous theories.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #16 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 1:19pm »

Tom - your narrow minded brain is obviously much closer to your arse than you think.

I have suffered from CH for most of my 54 years. I have spent most of my adult life searching for a cure, and the best thing that I found in about the mid nineties was the Imigran Injection. It was the first and and still is th eonly thing I have ever found to abort a full blown cluster HA.

Since coming to this board several years I have been looking for something to PREVENT the attacks in the first place. I have tried all the preventatives discussed on this board over the year to no effect.

About 4 years ago I was at a health trade fair when a big CH hit me. I had been in cycle for about 2 months and was at the end of my rope. Fortunately I had the inj kit with me so I "shot up" and 10 mins later I was ok again.

I looked at all sorts of "headache cures" being punted - everything from Shiatsu massagers to electrical muscle stimulators. I came across a guy who was promoting a detox drink who said it would fix my headaches within days, which I thoght was total bullshit. My wife said I had nothing to lose as the first weeks supply was free! I followed the instructions to the letter regarding diet for the week - nothing but lots of fresh water and this drink daily and only fresh fruit and vegetables to eat. Nothing else.

On around day 2 I started with an intense headache that was very different from CH, it was all over my head and neck. This lasted for about 3 or 4 days and I somehow toughed it out.  I also shit an enourmous amount of vile stuff over these 5 days. The next day the headache was gone and I had no more CH for about 18 months.

The next cycle was around Christmas/New Year 2 years ago. I felt I couldn't do the detox over the festive season especially as I had visitors so I used 1/2 shots of trex inj (thanks to this site!). I started the detox on around the 3rd Jan and went through the same detox HA, but not so much shitting  Smiley the CH stopped in about the same time frame and I have been HA free since then.

But.... I have no illusions that I am "cured" so I have been looking at ways to remain drug free for the rest of my life.

As to your stupid comments about newbies, you are so far off the mark, not me. What I am trying to promote is safe (YES SAFE!) which is more than I can say for all the drugs I pumped over the years to try and fix this damn CH.

If you are so cynical then reaearch the subject before you shoot from the hip. I for one am tired of waiting for the Goadsbys of the world (I am not knocking the good work they are doing) to pronounce a cure or even a confirm reason for this affliction we suffer from.

One thing is for sure - IT IS NOT A DISEASE!

My firm belief is that what you put into your body (and cannot illiminate properly) causes the many problems and illnesses humans suffer from.

wake up to this and maybe some progress will be made.

John
IP Logged

CHTom

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 1:32pm »

Did you mean "illuminate
" or "eliminate"?  If it is the latter, mornings will be a real trip Shocked!  Now back to the Ex Lax.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2006, 1:34pm by CHTom » IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 1:57pm »

Hey John, you're making this up as you go along, right?  laugh

flush the toxins out of your system by unblocking all the crap stuck in your colon that is poisoning you and causing your hypothalmus to go wonky.

Your hypothalamus was 'wonky' when you were born.

Ueli won't believe this  

Neither will BobG

P.S.
My trigeminal nerve is in no way connected to my waste management system.

And, P.P.S.
And a clogged sewer system did not cause me to be plump. Too many double cheeseburgers,  pizzas, Reese’s pieces, Cokes, cake, cookies and any other junk food I can stuff into my pie hole made me that way. I’m down to 270 pounds now. That is merely plump. I used to be fat though.....last week.

modified to add:
Oops, sorry to hijack the water subject. I'll go drink some now
in my coffee.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2006, 2:00pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 7:09pm »

As it is so hot here in Mozambique we drink about 6 -8 litres(about 1.7 gallons) of water a day.  Quite a lot of salts are lost due to perspiration and obviously flushing our systems with water.

We do not take salt tablets when we start cramping but just up our salt intake in food.  I found that eating too salty foods like seafood, especially my favourite anchovy pizza, really brings on the beast, a major trigger.

But, I also noted that I do not get hit more or less with these amounts of water.  O, by the way, my colon is flushed everyday - grandma believed a healthy body is a vessel for a healthy mind (boy was she wrong Grin).

What I did find was that if you swirl ice cold water around in your mouth and then swallow it, it helps with the intensity and sometimes abort an attack when caught in time.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
jon019

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 12:08am »

Hello All,

Lots of theories here. No one knows, so I have one too.

Excessive salt is a problem for me re CH. Have been drinking LOTS of water for years now. Seems to help and has added benefits for other problems I have.( I would caution that while too much water is probably better than not enough, keep your doc informed as it could have unintended side effects).

Whether it is altering the salt/electroyte balance in me and that is somehow helpful I couldn't say. Possibly is affecting blood pressure or blood thickness (every time I have a blood draw the tech comments on the thinness and surmises-you must drink lots of water) to my benefit.

That said, I note that several people have commented on aborting or diminishing hits by immediate water chugging. That's great and I encourage whatever works for you. The theory part is this. The human body is a marvelous machine and stasis is the norm and dang hard to change. Rapid water consumption upon onset is just not going to change your body chemistry in anything like enough time to affect a ch. However, rapid swallowing may just affect the physiology of a hit. (Personally, I can't swallow during a hit as I drool like a bulldog and it hurts to swallow). Or maybe it's the COLD water along with the swallowing that does the trick (ice cream works for some). Or maybe its the change in blood flow to the stomach in response to ingestion.

Point is, and I'll say it again, nobody knows. But it is fascinating to think about and worth more study. I still firmly believe that the answer doesn't have to be more drugs, and research doesn't have to be concentrated ONLY  on new drugs. Water, the right way and the right time? Think about it.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 10:33am »

Tom, for what it's worth - I think you're right about the cold and it's abortive properties.  Cold reduces swelling, thereby reducing pain.

I also think there is merit to colon cleansing, just for overall health.  I believe that, when in cycle, a clusterhead's sensitivities are heightened and if you can improve your general overall health, then the sensitivities aren't going to be so much of a problem (maybe foods that were once a "trigger" won't be if you're system isn't clogged?)  I don't believe that colon cleansing is a cluster cure, don't get me wrong, but I think your body will work better after this kind of maintenance.  I also don't think the water treatment is a cluster cure but, again, it can make things easier.

my two cents, anyway. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2006, 10:34am by Margi » IP Logged

source unknown

CHTom

Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 12:18pm »

I find it difficult to believe that intelligent people still believe in "colon cleansing".  Unless you have some sort of disease, your colon cleans itself quite nicely, thank you, when you defecate.  The idea of using colonics or laxatives to "clean" your colon and thus keep you healthy is 18th century, or earlier, medicine that is nonsense and has no basis in medical fact.  Should we return to the concept of the body containing "humors" (I think that there were 7 of them) and return to bleeding ourselves to rid the body of "poisons" and restore the "balance" of the "humors"?  To suggest that the colon is somehow connected to the hypothalamus and that by using a purgative or enemas to induce more than normal defecation is total nonsense.  Their are people who are laxative junkies and one of the reasons often given for the excessive use of laxatives is to keep that old colon clean.  Unless your head is up your ass, there is no connection between the brain and the colon that will effect cluster headaches or any other brain disorder.  Shit all you want, but your CH will not get any better and you will have a sore ass to contend with as well (and you may become a laxative junkie-oy, the shame!).  Now where did I put those leaches? Tongue
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 1:14pm »

LOL, CHTom, you've obviously never done a cleanse.  I believe the word 'vile' was used in this thread as a description of what is cleansed when you're doing one.  That's a very good adjective in this regard.
While I agree with you (as I said) that I believe this has little to do with a cluster cure, I don't see much wrong with a little housecleaning now and then, especially considering all the preservatives and sticky stuff (that does NOT eliminate itself with 100% efficiency) contained in our western diet.  
You might want to try a cleanse sometime, actually.  You sound a little constipated.
IP Logged

source unknown

CHTom

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 1:26pm »

Well, people do sometimes tell me that I'm full of shit laugh
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss