Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « IV Steriod & DHE Therapy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   IV Steriod & DHE Therapy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IV Steriod & DHE Therapy  (Read 411 times)
suziq
New Board Newbie
USA 

IV Steriod & DHE Therapy
« on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, everyone. I had my first I.V. steriod and DHE therapy at Univ of MD in Balto City on Jan 31st and the 2nd treatment on Feb 1st.

It has, temporarily, relieved my CH from a kip 8 to kip 1-2. Side effects, for me, were anxiety, fast/pounding heart and facial flushing. Now that the side effects are wearing off, I'm getting very tired.

On Monday, Jan 30th, I had a kip 10 CH, and of course, when I go to my treatment the next day, my CH is only a kip 1! Typical! Shocked

Today, I've had shadowing in my left eye/face - kip 2, but I was able to run a bunch of errands while I'm unemployed.

Has anyone else had this treatment? My neuro also increased my verap from 80 mg/day to 160 mg/day and gave me a prescrip for Litocain.

Wishing you all the best! Thank god you are here!
Suziq

IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: IV Steriod & DHE Therapy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've done IV steriods and DHE many times in the hospitals. It always gives me a little break.  Smiley  Too bad it doesn't last a little longer. Since I started doing IV Histamine, I haven't had to do much steriods or DHE. Life is much better  Smiley

Goodluck with the treatments

UNsolved

PS. Do you know what kind of steriods you were doing? (Probably Solu Medrol)
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:43pm »

I've only had the treatment once, and it was great respite. But I got some nasty rebound HA's (kip 8-9) that started about 36 hours after the treatment was done. It was nice to have the break, though.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:34pm »

You are on a very low dose of verapamil.  I took up to 960 mg /day.  Don't be surprised if you may need to go higher up in the dosage before you have some sucess.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 11:49pm »

starting in 1996 4 times before and 2 times after becoming chronic in 1999 I was in hospital for the DHE drip which i cant remember how much (sorry) also I was hurting so bad they also had nubain (pain med like morphine) and a anti nausea drip going too plus had button i could press every 15 minutes to get a little more pain med in my system each time i was in for 4 days the pain was down to 2-3 level on last day and i got 1 week to 3 months relief til the last one when i left i hurt almost as much as when i went into the hopsital I also had DHE vials and little neddles for at home for i could do it myself when needed but it quit working as did the imitrex and steroids and about 60 other drugs in many combos ok i rambled too long so thats my input on DHE for me Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
suziq
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:26pm »

It has been 4 days since the DHE therapy and I have mixed feelings about it.

Wednesday afternoon/evening, after completing the 2nd and final day of the therapy, I experienced a couple of Kip 2 shadows. Thursday, I ran errands and started to experience mild headaches. Friday, I was exhausted and slept on and off all day. I also had ice-pick headaches on the right side (my CH is left) and the shadows continued. Saturday, it rained and the barometric pressure was low. I experienced right-sided migraines all day. I took Naproxen on Friday and Relpax for the migraines yesterday. Today, the beast is back. Experienced 2 Kip 8 CHs already today and the shadows continue. Where's my clustermask!?!

It relieved CH for a couple of days, but I was sick with migraines and ice-pick headaches (like lightning bolts shooting thru my brain) and it was still hard to function with this crap going on.

Sorry I don't have better news. Wishing us all PFDANs!
Suziq
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:03pm »

Suzi - Mine came back with a vengence starting 36 hours after I left the hospital. They lasted a week. Since then, however, they stayed away for over 9 months and when they returned they were of lower intensity and the cluster period was much shorter (10 days to 2 weeks).

There's still hope - maybe it'll work the same way for you. We can hope, right? Hang in there.

Bill
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss