Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 12:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anti depressants »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anti depressants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anti depressants  (Read 2497 times)
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Anti depressants
« on: Feb 4th, 2006, 9:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have not been on the site for 9 months since my last attack of clusters. Ihave tried everything and more to try and rid this horrible affliction. I have been using Lexapro since May last year and have not (fingers crossed) had any signs of an attack. I started on 20mg per day and over the past 3 months have reduced to 10mg and so far so good. Please try it folks. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Anti depressants
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 9:13pm »

This is a medicine we have heard very little about.  I am glad you are having success with it.  Keep us informed of your sucesses and failures please.  Always looking for something else to defeat the beast.

However, antidepressents in general do nothing for ch.  Elavil is the only one that has showed any sign of promise.  The rest I have tried for depression and it has had no effect on my ch.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2006, 9:15pm by Karla » IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
chewy

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 10:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dont bank on an antidepressant being the magic bullet.

Your cycle probably just ended and it has remained ended.
IP Logged
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:15am »

Nice of you to be so positive!!
IP Logged
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:19am »

and another thing Chewy. It is a well known fact that cluster sufferers have a lack of seratonin. Anti depressants increase seratonin levels.
You must be a Tom Cruise fan!!!
IP Logged
Ahem

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:36am »

on Feb 4th, 2006, 10:25pm, chewy wrote:

Your cycle probably just ended and it has remained  
ended.

In an unusual AGEREEMENT with Chewy, any SSRI antidepressant will most likely, not always, but most likely cause cluster headache. Try it out, you will be throwing those pills back in their face with a fucking attitude.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:44am »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 1:19am, vaughan wrote:

Chewy is  Tom Cruise!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 4:38am »

Vaughan,
 Lexapro was the last new med my doc put me on. I was on 40mg per day, but really didn't get anything out of it. Except, when I quit taking them daily and only took a few when I just felt like "I needed to try anything" they would calm me down a bit. Glad they helped you with your CH, I wasn't so lucky ... but then again, I've never had any luck with any experimental meds for CH.
 Actually, I can't even say now if he prescribed them for CH or Depression? I do have an anxiety disorder, but I take Xanax for that and it works. He also has me on Stadol NS for chronic pain ... warning to everyone ... stay away from this stuff, may side track your mind a little from a CH attack, but only by adding side effects that are as nasty as can be!
 As usual though, some meds, like Lexapro, might work for one and not another, same old story.  
 I had no side effects from the Lexapro, so if it helped you, I see no problem with you sharing the idea with everyone else. Who knows, maybe if it just helped one other sufferer, that would be huge!
 I can say, Lexapro never triggered a CH attack.
 Continued good luck,
Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 7:28am »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 3:36am, Ahem wrote:
any SSRI antidepressant will most likely, not always, but most likely cause cluster headache.

I disagree with this statement.  Do you have a factual link to back this up?
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 7:40am »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 3:36am, Ahem wrote:

In an unusual AGEREEMENT with Chewy, any SSRI antidepressant will most likely, not always, but most likely cause cluster headache.

At least Chewy can spell AGREEMENT  Roll Eyes
I'd also like to see you back this one up.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 10:44am »

Vaughan to reply to your statement:

Quote:
Posted by: vaughan Posted on: Today at 8:23am  
and another thing Chewy. It is a well known fact that cluster sufferers have a lack of seratonin. Anti depressants increase seratonin levels.  

We As CHers take melatonin at night because we do not have the correct amount produced by our serotonin in our pineal gland.  So I don't think it is a lack of serotonin but actually the lack of melatonin.

To increase your serotonin levels will not necessarily mean an increase in melatonin(it depends on how your brain synthesize it), it might have quite the opposite effect in causing more CH related circadian rhythm problems.

Insert from:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag95/95dec1.htm

Melatonin is produced from serotonin with the help of several associated enzymes and co-factors, while serotonin is produced from the amino acid tryptophan, which is found in a wide variety of high-protein foods such as meat, fish, milk, and cheese. Melatonin is also found in small amounts in bananas, tomatoes, and other fruits and vegetables.

Melatonin also is produced in smaller amounts in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and other parts of the body. The pineal gland contains the highest central nervous system concentration of serotonin in the body, and produces the largest amounts of melatonin as well as other neuroendocrine hormones.

Every day, as darkness sets in, melatonin production (from serotonin) in the pineal gland is rhythmically induced via cyclic AMP activation of beta receptors by the neurotransmitter norepinephrine through the action of the enzyme N-Acetyltransferase (NAT), which results in low levels of serotonin and high levels of melatonin, with a peak level occurring about 2 AM. During daylight hours, on the other hand, light entering the pineal gland through the eyes, blocks NAT's induction of melatonin, which results in high levels of serotonin and low levels of melatonin.  

Another benefit of Melatonin and maybe why it works so well for some CHers is:

Insert from:

http://www.priory.com/mel.htm

Melatonin is a highly important antioxidant. Free radicals are chemical constituents that have an unpaired electron. If an electron is added to O2 then the superoxide anion radical O2- is formed. O2- is reduced by superoxide dismutase to H2O2 which is toxic at high concentrations and can be reduced to.OH. The hydroxyl radical (.OH) damages cells. Melatonin is an efficient neutraliser of.OH. (9)  

Insert from:

http://www.clusterbusters.com/Scientific.htm

Other molecules share this indole ring and are able to be accepted or blocked by the serotonin receptors. The best known accepted molecule is sumatriptan, (Imitrex, or Imigran) and as well as restricting blood vessels, it works by kidding the serotonin receptors into believing that there is the right amount of serotonin present to keep body systems functioning regularly, and attacks are aborted. It is able to correct the aberration that causes the headache, although real understanding of the mechanism by which it works, and the aberration that causes the attack, is still debatable and still being researched. Other indole ring molecules block the serotonin receptor cells from picking up further serotonin and this too, may abort and prevent headaches from occurring. Note that serotonin molecules are indole rings.  

Please refer from insulting people.  Chewy has been here many years and his post:
Quote:
Posted by: chewy Posted on: Today at 5:29am  

Your cycle probably just ended and it has remained ended.  

is true.  If it works for you, well good but give it a few years and like Karla said keep us posted.  We have all been through various medications which include  anti-depressants and it is most probable that your cycle just ended.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
chewy

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 10:48am »

Quote:
any SSRI antidepressant will most likely, not always, but most likely cause cluster headache.

Just another ignorant and potentially harmful post from Lee.

Quote:
Nice of you to be so positive!!

It's called being realistic. Want a bunch of fluff? PM Lee.

Quote:

Better check the room and do your fuckin homework before making comments.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2006, 10:58am by chewy » IP Logged
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:28pm »

During the first 5 years of my ch attacks the longest remission that I had was 3 months. I am not a brain surgeon however even Einstein would agree that after 4 days of taking lexapro and the attacks cease then maybe they work!!! I started taking them at the height of a cycle. I see no need for your pessimism Chewy. They may just help someone else and if so then well and good. Perhaps the only thing that will help you is some lead in your left ear.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:33pm »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 1:28pm, vaughan wrote:
Perhaps the only thing that will help you is some lead in your left ear

Oh, I can just see the line forming to make friends with you, shit for brains.

You are now known as "Shit for Brains"

Any parting words "Shit for Brains"?
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:43pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

chewy

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:33pm »

Quote:
Perhaps the only thing that will help you is some lead in your left ear.  

First off you wouldn't have the balls.

Secondly, take it to PM peckerhead, this aint the place.
IP Logged
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 2:02pm »

I am not here to make friends you poor simple pricks.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 2:10pm »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 2:02pm, vaughan wrote:

Then I guess your here to be deleted from here...Right?
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 2:13pm »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 2:02pm, vaughan wrote:

What ARE you here for?
You've been registered since June '02.
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 2:19pm »

12 posts....5 of them in this thread alone dont mean shit!!!

When you tell someone they should be dead thats all I need to know!
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

chewy

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 2:19pm »

So.  9 months.

How was your wino bid in PC ?
IP Logged
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 2:31pm »

Hey Johnny your command of the English language really is pathetic and judging by your web site I get the impression that you are not sure whether you are male or female!! and by the way your posts on this thread have said absolutely nothing to help ch sufferers. I really thought that this site was dedicated to that alone. Maybe you have too much time on your hands sitting there feeling sorry for yourself. Get a haircut, you look ridiculous.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 2:43pm »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 2:31pm, vaughan wrote:
Hey Jonny(insert comma here) your command of the English language really is pathetic and judging by your web site I get the impression that you are not sure whether you are male or female!! (wow, you must have lungs like Pavarotti to come out with such long sentences!)and (start with a capital letter stupid. Never start a sentence with and!) by the way your posts on this thread have said absolutely nothing to help ch sufferers. (and your's have?) I really thought that this site was dedicated to that alone. (You haven't been here enough to have the right to think or comment)Maybe you have too much time on your hands (Its patently obvious what you spend your time doing with YOUR hands!) sitting there feeling sorry for yourself. (LMFAO) Get a haircut, you look ridiculous. (Get a personality, yours smells)

How can someone with such an appalling command of the English language comment on anyone else's usage?
Your effrontery is astounding.
IP Logged

vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:17pm »

Well well,we have a poor simple pom at it now!! I am surprised that your fingers are warm enough to type.
IP Logged
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:18pm »

Limey, do the poms still share the bathwater?
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:25pm »

Only with each other, not with livestock as you would be accustomed to  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss