Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 2:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Too much Trex? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Too much Trex?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Too much Trex?  (Read 544 times)
wingnutCH1
New Board Newbie
USA 

Why Me?

Too much Trex?
« on: Feb 10th, 2006, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First Post. Clusterhead for 25 years. The beast decided he really likes me the past couple nights. I wake up with a kip 8, shoot some Trex and try to go back to sleep. This episode has been the worst ever. My question.....Has any suffered side effects from too much Trex? I took three shots two nights in a row. The prescription says np more than two in a 24 hour period and no more than 4 per week.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Too much Trex?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 12:07pm »

One possibility:
: Headache. 2004 Jul;44(7):713-8.  Related Articles, Links  

Subcutaneous sumatriptan induces changes in frequency pattern in cluster headache patients.

Rossi P, Lorenzo GD, Formisano R, Buzzi MG.

Objectives.-To document the relationship between the use of subcutaneous (SQ) sumatriptan (sum) and a change in frequency pattern of cluster headache (CH) in six patients. To discuss the clinical and pathophysiological implications of this observation in the context of available literature. Background.-Treatment with SQ sum may cause an increase in attack frequency of CH but data from literature are scant and controversial. Methods.-Six CH sum-naive patients (three episodic and three chronic according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) are described. Results.-All six patients had very fast relief from pain and accompanying symptoms from the drug but they developed an increase in attack frequency soon after using SQ sum. In all patients, the CH returned to its usual frequency within a few days after SQ sum was withdrawn or replaced with other drugs. Five patients were not taking any prophylactic treatment and SQ sum was the only drug prescribed to treat their headache. Conclusions.-Physicians should recognize the possibility that treatment of CH with SQ sum may be associated with an increased frequency of headache attacks.

PMID: 15209695
-----
Safety concerns:

Funct Neurol. 2000 Jul-Sep;15(3):167-70. Related Articles, Links  

Sumatriptan overuse in episodic cluster headache: lack of adverse events, rebound syndromes, drug dependence and tachyphylaxis.

Centonze V, Bassi A, Causarano V, Dalfino L, Cassiano MA, Centonze A, Fabbri L, Albano O.

Dept of Internal Medicine and Public Medicine, University of Bari, Italy.

This observational study was designed to examine the pattern of sumatriptan use in patients with cluster headache using more than the recommended daily dose of subcutaneously injected (s.c.) sumatriptan. Thirteen patients suffering from episodic cluster headache were asked to record the characteristics of their attacks and drug intake for 1 year. All reported a high daily frequency of attacks (more than 3 per day) and the related overuse of s.c. sumatriptan. The results show that the overall incidence of adverse events among patients receiving sumatriptan injections for the treatment of cluster headache is low. The extended administration of this drug in episodic cluster headache did not result in tolerance problems or tachyphylaxis. Only 4 patients experienced minor adverse events and recovered more slowly than the others. They suffered from migraine without aura and cluster headache, and showed a family history of migraine. Even though they must be viewed with caution, due to the observational nature of the study and the low number of patients included, these results suggest that the profile of sumatriptan may differ in cluster headache compared with migraine.

PMID: 11062845
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
wingnutCH1
New Board Newbie
USA 

Why Me?

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 4:11pm »

Thanks Bob. You couldn't be more right. I have been Shadowing and rising up to a Kip2/3 all day. Oh goody, Can't wait to see what the night brings. The sucky part is that when I'm at a kip 9/10 I don't care about anything else. I just want it gone. Sometimes I wish there was a drug that could just knock me out for a couple days.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 4:28pm »

Using Trex caused me to have three times more HA's than I normally would, I switched to Zomig nasal spray (Another triptan) and it dont happen anymore....plus, the Zomig works just as fast as a shot of Trex and lasts WAY longer.

Hope this helps.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 5:19pm »

Yes, that's WAY too much Trex. In addition to increasing the frequency and severity of CH attacks, I believe that triptans cause cardiovascular damage long-term.  

I've been episodic for 30 years. During my most recent episode I was able to abort 75% of the CH attacks within 15 minutes with O2 at 12 lpm through a non-rebreather mask. I only used triptans as a last resort for the 25% of the CH attacks when O2 failed. I haven't had any CH since I found Clusterbusters.

BB
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 7:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've done TONS of Trex. I was doing 6 - 8 injections per day for a LONG time. My doc said use what you need and thats what I was needing at the time. I don't think 3 per day will hurt you.

UNsolved
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 7:10pm »

Have you read the Imitrex tip to the left of this page. Splitting a shot in half works just as good as a whole shot for most people. You can do 3 half shots instead and still be under the recommended daily dosage. Plus it cost 1/2 the price.
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 7:25pm »

on Feb 10th, 2006, 7:00pm, unsolved1 wrote:
I've done TONS of Trex. I was doing 6 - 8 injections per day for a LONG time. My doc said use what you need and thats what I was needing at the time. I don't think 3 per day will hurt you.

UNsolved

Have you considered the possibility that that is why you are UNsolved?

BB
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 7:34pm »

As already said, follow the Imitrex tip to the left, or ask your doc for multidose vials and syringes.

It is dangerous ... repeat, dangerous ... for your heart if you exceed the recommended 12mg/24 hr. dosage.  Plus, it causes pretty bad rebounds.

Here's wishing you relief very soon!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 9:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 10th, 2006, 7:25pm, BikerBob wrote:

Have you considered the possibility that that is why you are UNsolved?

BB

I take the Trex whenever I need to ... as much as I need. There's no doubt about it, it has saved my life. Without it, I would've ended it all long ago ! Now that I'm doing Histamine, I don't need it much  Wink

UNsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss