Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anesthesia or a spinal with CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anesthesia or a spinal with CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anesthesia or a spinal with CH?  (Read 956 times)
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Anesthesia or a spinal with CH?
« on: Feb 13th, 2006, 5:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am going to have to have a pretty big surgery in a few weeks.  I've read enough to be wary of anesthesia triggering a nasty ch when I wake up.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

Does the medication they use in a spinal trigger too?  I think I might have the option of a spinal.....and to be honest that sounds better to me than being put under.

Does anyone know whether you can take a triptan before surgery....or will it mess with the other medications they use for anesthesia?

I know the anesthesiologist can answer a lot of these questions, but I won't get to talk to him till the day before surgery.  I would rather have some information now.

It's going to be five days in the hospital after surgery, and I'm pretty sure my orthopedic doc will arrange 02 for me.  If not.....I'm fucked!

Roxy
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: Anesthesia or a spinal with CH?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 5:59pm »

Hi Sweets  Kiss

Just after I was diagnosed, but before I found a cocktail to work for me, I was knocked out and had all my top teeth out. It did not trigger a CH for me...it may be the same for you.

Good luck and I will be thinking of you, Babe!!!!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 6:16pm »

I just had surgery on my rotator cuff last Monday.  I had general anastesia plus a nerve block done on my right side.  I was told I could use all the imitrix I needed to but I had to quit the usage 2 hrs before surgery.  I have had 3 surguries with anastesia and had no problem with it triggering any ch.  I asked if I could have imitrix on order by the dr in case I would need it after surgery.  So after surgery the nurses where like how is your head feel?  Do you need a shot of imitrix?  But I felt fine and didn't need it.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
chewy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 6:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Apendectomy last year. Had everything that could trigger a CH and none did.

Anesthesia, morphine, diluadid, vicodan.

No CH. Go figure.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 6:46pm »

Had surgery while off cycle, knocked out and didn't wake up with anything. But I was off cycle. I'll keep you in the families prayers for your surgery, good luck!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've had anesthesia a couple of times in the past few years. Only once did it trigger a (nasty) CH. I had kidney stones (thanks to Topomax) and had to have surgery. When I woke up in the recovery room, I was in Xtreme pain. I was given an Imitrex injection quickly and the pain stopped.

Chances are that the anesthesia wont cause a CH, but it never hurts to be prepared !

Goodluck

UNsolved
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:14pm »

I've had both Roxy.

Spinal --- NO

Anesthsia ----- Woke up with one of the worst CHs ever,  plus the pain of the surgery.  Never again.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:46pm »

I had 3 surgeries last year, and after 2 of them, I had the worst CH's I've ever had.  I had general anesthesia for all 3, but maybe the difference was that the first 2 surgeries were on the sinuses and they also used intranasal cocaine as part of the surgery.  I wanted to die when I woke up.  Plus I couldn't use O2 afterwards because of the nature of the surgery.

After my bilateral knee surgery though, I was okay as far as CH.  Woke up with horrible post-op pain, but they started me on PCA...and then I was taken off PCA the next day.  I did have O2 available to me after that one, but I actually did okay the 3 days I was in the hospital.

Best of luck to you and sorry I don't have a good answer!!

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 8:27pm »

I've had both too (spinal for knee surgery, so no funny jokes, OK!!!).

I believe that the anesthesia is what triggered my last cycle. I had been PF for 3 yrs, and my cycle started 4 days after the back surgery, but the day after I stopped the vicadin. Could've been the vicadin, or just coincidence.
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 9:30am »

Two problems with anesthesia  that are overlooked for some reason.  
1) Often times make you very sick, so the best advice is to have a bucket close  Lips Sealed

2) Severe depression.  Since CH people have an issue with this already, this is something you need to be aware of.  

Since I am not a doctor, I cannot answer the question about the mixing of meds.  

Good luck on your surgery Rox!!

Dragnlance
IP Logged

Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 7:51pm »

on Feb 13th, 2006, 7:14pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

I've had both Roxy.

Spinal --- NO

Anesthsia ----- Woke up with one of the worst CHs ever,  plus the pain of the surgery.  Never again.

Linda

Lol....are you telling me "NO" to the spinal and "never again" to the anesthesia.... Grin.  I'll be damned if I'll have a knee replacement with a local.....LOLOL.

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate the input.  Don't have to worry about the depression aspect, I'm usually in the opposite realm....mmm, that would be pissed off....LOL.  

I'm as happy as you can be while contemplating a total replacement, and the builder breaking ground on our new house on the day of surgery..... Shocked.

Thank God for alcohol,
Rox

IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss