Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Auto Conditioning - How I manage without drugs. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Auto Conditioning - How I manage without drugs.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auto Conditioning - How I manage without drugs.  (Read 1437 times)
Chip80
New Board Newbie
USA 

So this isn't a sinus infection?  Duh!

Email

Auto Conditioning - How I manage without drugs.
« on: Feb 15th, 2006, 5:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I’m new here, have dealt with CHs for the past 20 years, and feel that I must share this with you.  I’ve had the KIP 9s & 10S and have been able get through them without going nuts.  I’m talking about the kind where it feels like there’s an ice pick in the back of your eye socket being hit with a hammer, your pillow feels like rocks and jolts of pain, like electric shocks,  make me jerk off the bed involuntarily.  

I’m not trying to sell anyone anything, and I know many of you will think I’m some kind of nut.  But, what I’m about to describe has worked for me for 20 years.  I’m now 47.

I used to be a bicycle racer, and later triathlete, when I was in my mid 20s and early 30s.  Early on I came to a point where physical conditioning was not providing the gains I needed to be competitive with the younger competition.  I was at a US Cycling Federation (U.S. governing body for bicycle racing and the U.S. Olympic team) seminar where a book on Russian and East German performance techniques that had just come out was mentioned to us.  The book is named Red Gold by Grigori Raiport M.D.,PH.D.  This book, among other things, covered these areas that the Russian and East German Olympians were conditioned/trained in:
1 – Conquering your resistance to change
2 – Transcending your threshold of pain
3 – Mastering consciousness and attention
4 – Gaining self-control
5 – Achieving a state of optimal functioning
6 – Tapping your co-personalities
7 – Identifying with your winning self  

I bought the book mainly because I knew the only way I was going to improve athletically was to be able to break through my threshold of pain (TOP).  In addition, I really needed a way to calm my nerves in preparation for races.

The book taught me how to do all of that and much more.  The Russians call these techniques auto condition response.  Many of us also refer to it as self-hypnosis.  I studied the book and practiced the exercises for months before becoming proficient.  Now I can automatically do these following things:
1 – Lower my heart rate and BP.  I can usually go to sleep anywhere within a few minutes.  My massage therapist says I’m the most relaxed person she’s ever worked on.
2 – Direct blood flow to my arms and legs.   This actually lessons, and sometimes eliminates the throbbing pain behind my eye but lessoning blood flow to my head.
3 – Divert my focus off of, and through pain.  I think if I concentrated on the pain I would go nuts though.  I like to mentally put myself in a “happy” place.

So now you think I’m crazy, don’t you.  But, if you’d ask my wife she’d tell you that I can lay perfectly still in bed while under attack, and she can sleep like a baby next to me.  Sure, there’s still some pain, but I’ve learned how to deal with it without meds when I want to.

If you think this is all a bunch of crap, do not buy it.  You must be under the belief that you are capable of effecting physiological changes with your mind in order to get any benefits.  Also, you will never be able to master these skills if you are in the middle of a CH cycle.  

Buy the way; my CH’s started after a serious head injury from a bike racing crash.  I never thought the techniques I learned to help me perform better in racing would help me so much the rest of my life.

Carl
IP Logged

Set a bead on the northern plains and just roll that power on!
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: Auto Conditioning - How I manage without drugs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 5:34pm »

Hi Carl,
Thanks for the info.  Charlie, one of the members of this board has shared a similar technique for directing blood flow to the hands.  Up until the age of 32, I had frequent migraines, which I learned to quell with a biofeedback method.  Yet, I have never been able to achieve this with CH.
I don't know why it would be different, but it is.  However, I'm glad it works for you, and thanks for sharing this information.
Pat
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 5:40pm »

Before anyone jumps this chap I would like to say I've looked up this book and it's out of print, the only place you will find it is a second hand book site or ebay.

Chip, with the best will in the world that was a "dodgy" first post. People who come on and appear to be selling something on their first trip into the forum generally get short shrift as I'm sure you can understand. We've had more than our fair share of snake oil salesmen.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you. You aren't the first poster who has found exersize works for them although for other's its a HUGE trigger.

Sadly with CH there are no easy answers, it's the ultimate "designer" illness in that no two of us have it in exactly the same way nor have the same meds work which makes it very insidious.. but we will beat it!

Stick around, I'm sure you can pick up a few tips or share some  Smiley

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 5:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Non drug methods are great if they work for you. But my perspective is that there are physical things going on in the body that do not dissappear if we 'conquer' pain.  The relaxation part you mention sounds good.  But when I go into cycle, my sleep gets messed up, and it is not about relaxation.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 8:37pm »

I'm with Chip on this one and thanks for posting it, mate.  I gave all the meds away more than 10 years ago because they were causing me more problems than I already had or leaving me less capable of dealing with the problem at hand.  (No, this is not reccommendation to others.)

My way of handling it is similar to yours and works purely on the difference between victor and victim.

I'm a victor and I wish you good health,

Brian Down Under.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 12:44am »

I'm with both Chip and Aussie on this too.

Its how I have dealt for the last many years without meds as well.

The only difference for me Chip is your no. 3   ("3 – Divert my focus off of, and through pain.  I think if I concentrated on the pain I would go nuts though" )
 I do focus wholly on the pain and go through it that way.

Sometimes it takes great pain to get there.  
But at any time I too can lower my heart rates, BP and beats in just a few minutes time.
It does work folks and whatever you call it, it can be learned.
IP Logged

MJ
vaughan
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 3:13am »

What a load of crap.
[color=Blue][/color]
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2006, 1:30pm by vaughan » IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 5:18am »

on Feb 16th, 2006, 3:13am, vaughan wrote:
What a load of crap.

Gonna disagree with ya Vaughan. Self mind control and deep meditation is well documented, martial arts is a good example. I just haven't been able to accomplish it personally to this level..........might just see about getting my hands on a copy of the book Chip referred to.

Have a good day,
Bob
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006, 6:22am by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 6:50am »

Chip,

welcome! Smiley

I'm glad that you've found a method which works for you and shared it with us. I'm a firm believer in the power of the mind. I has helped me achieve wonderful things in my life.  

Unfourtainly, getting rid of ch wasn't one of them. My che went into remission in April 2005, thanks to meds. But I will recall that if it decided to come back (yes, I'm being Miss Optimistic here), I will try harder to beat it without meds as I'm not that fond of meds either.

Best wishes & PF days,
Sanna Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Chip80
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:20am »

on Feb 15th, 2006, 5:40pm, LeLimey wrote:
Before anyone jumps this chap I would like to say I've looked up this book and it's out of print, the only place you will find it is a second hand book site or ebay.

Chip, with the best will in the world that was a "dodgy" first post. People who come on and appear to be selling something on their first trip into the forum generally get short shrift as I'm sure you can understand. We've had more than our fair share of snake oil salesmen.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you. You aren't the first poster who has found exersize works for them although for other's its a HUGE trigger.

Sadly with CH there are no easy answers, it's the ultimate "designer" illness in that no two of us have it in exactly the same way nor have the same meds work which makes it very insidious.. but we will beat it!

Stick around, I'm sure you can pick up a few tips or share some  Smiley

Helen

I didn't even realize that there was a condition called CH until I went to the neurologist this past Monday for the first time.  I found this web site and just wanted to share how I've been dealing with it for years.  No other motives.  The advice and experiences are free - take it or leave it.

I guess being new I could have read the Kudzu thread and thought someone was trying to sell something.  For anyone that Kudzu helps, I'm truley happy.  But, without clinical trials (Kudzu vs Placebo) who's to know if it's the Kudzu that's producing the benefit, or the BELIEF that Kudzu will produce the benefit that helps people.  IMO as long as the side effects are 0, it really doesn't matter.
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:23am »

Chip,

I'm with you and wish I had the ability. One of my first posts here (a lot of posts ago) I was excited that I'd actually seemed to breakthrough some low-level hits using some yoga-developed meditation. I took some guff from a few but many have felt that the mind has the ability to help some but not overcome. When my CH cycle really grabbed hold I had to recharacterize my "success" a little bit.

I'm also an endurance athlete and believe that some of what I've developed in my endurance training for marathons is of some help in this process. The ability to run through pain does help one mentally and emotionally through CH.

But, I did finally decide that being a "trooper" and trying to gut through everything with my mind didn't offer the same rewards as an O2 tank and ClusterMasx, and the Kudzu which I had greater success with. I just couldn't see what I was gaining anymore by trying to do it without the help of what others were getting results from.

Godo luck to you in keeping it going. The mind is an amazing thing.

Thanks for posting.

Scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 10:30am »

Hey Chip

Thanks for posting. I also have not been able to reach a point that I can control the CH with this method.  
However, like the aussie roo man, I gave up the meds a few years back. I do take kudzu now, which has surprised me a great deal. It's not a cure, but it very much helps reduce the amount of pain.  

Stay pain free man!

Dragnlance
IP Logged

Melissa

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 12:19pm »

I'm going to have to say that the BEST abortive out there, is O2.  Period.

It quit working on me 1/2 way through my 2000 cycle and didn't work at all in my 2003 cycle, but when I bought a Clustermasx and tried O2 again this last cycle, it worked 100% of the time.  I can't say that about any other thing I've tried.

IP Logged
Chip80
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 12:43pm »

on Feb 16th, 2006, 12:19pm, Melissa wrote:
I'm going to have to say that the BEST abortive out there, is O2.  Period.

It quit working on me 1/2 way through my 2000 cycle and didn't work at all in my 2003 cycle, but when I bought a Clustermasx and tried O2 again this last cycle, it worked 100% of the time.  I can't say that about any other thing I've tried.

Although I've never tried 02, because I just found out about CH this week, I'd have to agree with you.  

Oxygen deprevation (being in my living room with the wood burning stove on and no window open to let air in the house) will trigger a CH for me.  Getting outside in the fresh air soon enough will abort it.  Also, I have found the a good workout at the start of a CH will also abort it.  

How expensive is it to have an 02 setup on hand?  I have a large 02 tank for welding, but I'd guess it's not suitable for breathing - not medical grade.
IP Logged

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 1:52pm »

on Feb 16th, 2006, 12:43pm, Chip80 wrote:
How expensive is it to have an 02 setup on hand?  I have a large 02 tank for welding, but I'd guess it's not suitable for breathing - not medical grade.

Clustermasx - $25.
540 Regulator - $12.50
Bubbler - $2.00
S&H - $10.00 or so.
Welding O2 is fine and dandy.

While supplies last.
Randy@ouchpanj.org
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 4:36am »

I'm pretty open on this one and would read the book.

Spent years misdiagnosed and know that given enough concentration you can keep a lid on the pain.   Never came close to stopping it, just knew that there were worse places I could go if I let it.

Wasn't until I was diagnosed and Maxalts missed a couple of headaches that I found out where that was.

But these Russians and East Germans - did they also use these new found self awareness techniques to bend a few of the drug tests as well?

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2006, 4:37am by Beastfodder » IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss