Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH and Psychology/psychiatry »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH and Psychology/psychiatry
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH and Psychology/psychiatry  (Read 657 times)
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Switzerland 

CH and Psychology/psychiatry
« on: Feb 16th, 2006, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does any one know of any sort of publication or links on the web about CH and it psycol. effects............ Huh not looking for treatment or meds. Just what are the effects of CH on one's psychol. well being.........

Knowing is half the treatment....... Roll Eyes or is it not?

Michael
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: CH and Psychology/psychiatry
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 3:46pm »

I think for chronic's depression tends to run high.  I don't know.  It hard to say.  I don't think any studies or polls have been done on it.  I know alot of people who have ch that suffer from depression but I also know alot of people who don't suffer  from depression.  Maybe its 50/50 who knows.  

I guess all one can do is evaluate yourself.  Know the signs and symptoms of depression and keep an open mind.  If and when the need arises talk to your family physician about your needs.  There is help out there you just need to ask for it.    

Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 4:21pm »

Luckily I dont have a problem with depression, except during major attacks.  Don't know why, after reading so much about it here, and I am chronic.  

I have had major bouts with it in the past however, and it is insidious. Treat it, get help, even if it is just someone to talk to. Don't let it ruin your life. (or end it)  
Just not worth that.
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 5:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Anxiety disorders seem to be more common - probably related to serotonin disturbances.  Here's a link:

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Anxiety

Depression is probably also more common among CH sufferers - don't have any data offhand. Unfortunately, the SSRIs that are commonly used for anxiety and depression do not cut down on migraines or cluster headaches, although there is some evidence that older antidepressants like imipramine may.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006, 5:54pm by floridian » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:32pm »

This report, and a few others I located, conclude that there is no clear patterns in psychological functioning or personality type. I would expect some higher frequency in anxiety and depression but not at a level which might be said to define cluster folks.
------
Psychosom Med. 1982 May;44(2):171-82.  

Psychological functioning in headache sufferers.

Andrasik F, Blanchard EB, Arena JG, Teders SJ, Teevan RC, Rodichok LD.

The present study examined the psychological test responses of 99 headache sufferers and 30 matched nonheadache controls. Headache subjects were of four types: migraine (n = 26), muscle contraction (n = 39), combined migraine-muscle contract ion (n = 22), and cluster (n = 12). Measures consisted of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a modified hostility scale derived from the MMPI, Back Depression Inventory, State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, Autonomic Perception Questionnaire, Rathus Assertiveness Schedule, Social Readjustment Rating Scale, Psychosomatic Symptom Checklist, Schalling-Sifneos Scale, Need for Achievement, and Hostile Press. Significant differences were found on five clinical scales of the MMPI--1, 2, 3, 6, and 7. Of the non-MMPI scales, only the Psychosomatic Symptom Checklist and Trait Anxiety Inventory were significant. Control subjects revealed no significant findings on any tests. The headache groups fell along a continuum, beginning with cluster subjects, who showed only minimal distress, continuing through migraine and combined migraine-muscle contraction, and ending with muscle contraction subjects, who revealed the greatest degree of psychological disturbance. However, none of the headache groups could be characterized by marked elevations on any of the psychological tests, which contrasts with past research findings. It is suggested that the present results may be more representative of the "typical" headache sufferer.

PMID: 7089156
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:43pm »

on Feb 16th, 2006, 9:32pm, Bob_Johnson wrote:
This report, and a few others I located, conclude that there is no clear patterns in psychological functioning or personality type. I would expect some higher frequency in anxiety and depression but not at a level which might be said to define cluster folks.

Thank you Bob.  

IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 10:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 16th, 2006, 9:32pm, Bob_Johnson wrote:

However, none of the headache groups could be characterized by marked elevations on any of the psychological tests, which contrasts with past research findings.

PMID: 7089156

Some of the past results suggested an increase in aggressiveness.  Would never guess that from reading the posts on this board.  Wink  

But I would agree with what Bob said about no typical or stereotypical personality ...  higher chances of finding someone with a particular mood disorder, but nothing that is anywhere near universal.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss