Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax?/ poss. alteranatives? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax?/ poss. alteranatives?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax?/ poss. alteranatives?  (Read 1078 times)
pfunk

Email

Topamax?/ poss. alteranatives?
« on: Feb 16th, 2006, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I posted a message earlier about a little experience I had yesterday with kidney stones.  It has come to my attention that kidney stones may actually be a side affect of topamax.  Because I cannot afford any further setbacks at this point, I do not want to take the cahnce of developing the stones again.  I know some of you have suggested other things than Top.  But could you give me your help again let me know what else I can suggest to my doctor that I can take in stead of the Top.? Grin

Pfunk
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I think Verapamil is...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 5:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

...a good alternative to Topamax.  I standby to be corrected.  And you are right about kidney stones and Topamax although large infusions of water should minimize this problem.

Rich
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006, 5:21pm by Richr8 » IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Topamax?/ poss. alteranatives?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 6:23pm »

Yes, topamax will cause stones and also stupidity(memory loss).  
preventatives -

verapamil(up to 960mg/day) and/or lithium(900mg), indocin(50mg), elavil (20mg), Zyprexa, neurontin, etc.  

abortives -  

oxygen (see link to left <== on how to use and what you need) 8-12 liters per min. for 15-20 min. etc. , imitrix injectable and/ or nasal spray(20mg) both kick in aprox at 10-15 min., if o2 and imitrix don't work try zomig nasal spray, axert, amerge, frova, migranol nasal spray, dhe, etc.

Hope this helps get you started.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
llreed
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 7:09pm »

I agree with Karla,
Verapamil - has worked well for me.  Topamax didn't help me much and added more symptoms than I wished to have.  Give us more time and I am sure you will get a better list.
Sorry to here about the kidney stones - been there thought giving birth was bad!!!!

bigcry

Better Days,
llreed
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 1:01pm »

If topamax is actually helping with the exception of the damn kidney stones(sorry bud!) you may consider Zonegran.
It is similar to Topamax without the negative side effects
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
pfunk

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 1:43pm »

Folks, went back to the doc today b/c was very concerned about the stones.  My family has a long, long hisory of kidney problems and I don't want to take any chances on my end.  My great-grand mother and and grand mother both died from kidney cancer. I have two first cousins who each only have one kidney due to kidney cancer and my brother also has kidney problems.  It's not that I think kidney stones may be linked to cancer or anything like that but I just don't want to take any chance with my kidneys at this point in my life.  Therfore, doc has taken me off of topamax and started me back with 300 mg of verapamil to go up with time as he thinks it was not good to start at too high a dose and he wanted me on it to begin with.  He also says it won't have the funky side effects the Top did.
Thanks alot for your help. I hope this works b/c the Top. was helping. Undecided

Pfunk
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 2:49pm »

Have you looked at Kudzu???

Major help for me

Dragn
IP Logged

pfunk

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 3:07pm »

Kudzu is one of the thing I have been looking at b/c I have been trying to cut out some of the prescription meds.  The issue that I am having right now with the Kudzu is finding it in  the stores around here.  There are a few more places that I'm going to try b/c verapamil is not cheap either($50 with the co-pay on my insurance).  But I definitely would like to give it a try as a non-prescription alternative.

Pfunk
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 3:24pm »

on Feb 17th, 2006, 3:07pm, pfunk wrote:
Kudzu is one of the thing I have been looking at b/c I have been trying to cut out some of the prescription meds.  The issue that I am having right now with the Kudzu is finding it in  the stores around here.  There are a few more places that I'm going to try b/c verapamil is not cheap either($50 with the co-pay on my insurance).  But I definitely would like to give it a try as a non-prescription alternative.

Pfunk

Here, try this. They'll have it to you in a couple of days.

http://www.vitacost.com/NaturesWayKudzuRoot

I've bought it before from local herbal/vitamin stores. Never have ever found it in a GNC. Also bought it online from these guys.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 3:35pm »

on Feb 17th, 2006, 3:07pm, pfunk wrote:
There are a few more places that I'm going to try b/c verapamil is not cheap either($50 with the co-pay on my insurance).  But I definitely would like to give it a try as a non-prescription alternative.

Pfunk

I think there might be a problem.  Verapamil is a cheap generic drug.  My co-pay is $8 for it.  You had better check that again, you can get Verap on the internet a ton cheaper.

I just called my local pharmacy and 60 tabs of Verapomil (240mgs) would cost $21.99 WITHOUT insurance and that is a months supply at (480mgs).  Did they give you the non-generic (Calan, I think)?  You can take the generic.

If you still have a problem PM me and I can ask my pharmacy if they will mail it to you with a proper perscription.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2006, 3:36pm by FramCire » IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 3:40pm »

Most health food places have it. Not sure if GNC in the shopping mall does, never looked.  
You can find it online fairly cheap however...
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 8:29pm »

As said above, if Verapamil is THAT expensive, you're taking brand instead of generic.  I've never paid more than a few bucks for my supply, and that's with a 50% copay.  Ask for generic, then shop around.

Kudzu is widely available on the internet at various reputable pharmacies.  All you need is a credit card.

Good Luck!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
sarahmom
New Board Newbie
USA 

This is what too many clusters has done to me...

fresquezfamily  

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 9:05pm »

E-Double beat me to it (and yeah, i'm a bit behind...).  Zonegran is an alternative for Topamax.  It does the same thing, but w/less side effects.  I switched to it, and it has been a wonderful thing for me.  Best of luck!!
IP Logged

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn, wasn't that fun!".
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #13 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 2:34pm »

on Feb 17th, 2006, 1:01pm, E-Double wrote:
If topamax is actually helping with the exception of the damn kidney stones(sorry bud!) you may consider Zonegran.
It is similar to Topamax without the negative side effects

Sorry man Zonegran will do it too.  I got Kidney Stones from it.  Guess what once you have had kindey stones there is a high probability that you will continue to have them even after you have stopped the meds.
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
mike49
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 5:16pm »

Just a note about my experience with topamax. Took it for about 6 weeks for my CH, wish I never had. Doc started me at 50mg per day, was up to 400mg per day by week 6. One nite eyes hurt so bad I couldn't stand it. Right eye also had blurred vision. Next day went to ER and also called doc. Doc tapered me off within 1 week, said blurred vision would go away. It never did. Saw eye doc a few times, he explained problem, saw eye surgeon, i have vitreous separation, need surgery to correct. Then it got worse, now I have optic neuritis and I am totally blind in my right eye. Surgeon now says I have to get optic neuritis cleared up before he can do surgery to repair the other damage. I just got an MRI and am waiting results. But I'm sitting here blind in one eye and just hoping I can still work. Anyone know a good attorney????? ugh!!!!!
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #15 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:49pm »

Zonagran is a fine alternative but it too can give you kidney stones and once you have had them your body keeps on making them.

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 11:16pm »

I used Dopemax and I don't remember if I didn't get attacks or I was just too stupid to remember them.  My doc perscribed Trileptal.  She says it works, but I didn't get to try it, cuz my cycle is coming to an end...I hope.  I spoke with my doc yesterday about kudzu and she said that at the headache conference she was at a few months ago, they weren't talking about it at all.  The thing that everyone was talking about was Petadolex.  It has been cleared by the German version of the FDA for headaches and seems to be working.  If you do buy petadolex, go with the company of Weber.  My doc says that they are the one's who have done the best job of figuring out the extract process.  Have you talked to your doc about Botox or trigger point injections?  I did Botox for my last cycle and it lasted for about 8 months.  It's kinda spendy but seemed worth it to me.
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss