Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trexima »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trexima
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trexima  (Read 652 times)
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Trexima
« on: Feb 24th, 2006, 2:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

pinkfloyd wrote:
Quote:
Much of the research going on was being funded by the large pharmaceutical companies, as we know. With the patents running out on imitrex, its obvious that glaxo is doing what they can to save their market share. They are researching a new imitrex tablet that is coated with naproxen. It seems that imitrex, when taken along with naproxen, is more effective than just imitrex. So you can expect to see a coated imitrex tablet in the future. It was asked a couple times why that is any better than just telling patients to take an Advil along with the imitrex tablet, there was more than a little stuttering and searching for a good answer. I'm sure they'll come up with one before it hits the tv ads.

Trexima is being developed as a combination of sumatriptan (Imitrex) and naproxen sodium (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug NSAID) in a single tablet. This is a joint venture between Glaxo and Pozen.

In a Phase II double-blind placebo-controlled study treating 972 patients with an acute migraine, Pozen reported that a version of the combination of a triptan and an NSAID provided a faster onset and longer duration of pain relief compared to the triptan alone or placebo. In the study, 65% of the patients taking the combination achieved pain relief at two hours versus 49% taking a triptan alone or 27% taking placebo.  

Assuming a typical FDA review cycle, approval is anticipated mid 2006.

Glaxo and Pozen will continue to investigate the clinical utility of additional formulations such as injection and nasal spray.

HINT: Migraineurs may want to take an over-the-counter Aleve (naproxen sodium) tablet with their Imitrex (sumatriptan).

See: http://www.pozen.com/product/trexima.asp

BB
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: Trexima
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 2:40pm »

Thanks, Bob.  I recall on older thread regarding getting some effectiveness from pulverizing the tabs.  Do you recall any pros or cons about this?
Pat
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 3:00pm »

on Feb 24th, 2006, 2:40pm, pattik wrote:
Thanks, Bob.  I recall on older thread regarding getting some effectiveness from pulverizing the tabs.  Do you recall any pros or cons about this?
Pat

I would be very wary about pulverizing Imitrex tablets. An Imitrex injection is only 6mg sumatriptan because it gets in your bloodstream so fast. Imitrex tablets are 50mg or 100mg sumatriptan. Pulverizing an Imitrex tablet may result in an overdose.

BB
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:38pm »

Quote:
a new imitrex tablet that is coated with naproxen.

ohhh goody, some other poison pill I have to watch for.... allergic to naproxen.... we all know how the docs like to push the new stuff, even if it doesn't work...

Dragn
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 6:21pm »

on Feb 24th, 2006, 4:38pm, Dragnlance wrote:

ohhh goody, some other poison pill I have to watch for.... allergic to naproxen.... we all know how the docs like to push the new stuff, even if it doesn't work...

Dragn

Comments:
1. People that use the jabs *may* want to consider preloading (taking an Aleve before the shot, as early as possible) Sumatriptan is Sumatriptan so if it helps with the tabs, it should help with the injections, although we know the timing issues with clusters.
I wouldn't do this often though.....
2. Since NSAIDs are implicated in rebound headache activity, you don't want to add this problem upon your cluster problems.
3. I see this rebound problem rearing it's ugly head for migrainers in the future with this new proposed combination. Doctors are being instructed to tell their migraine patients to continue to repeat dosages of this new pill just as they are told to do now if the first tablet of Imitrex does not knock out the migraine. Just as some cluster people use quite a few injections per month, some migrainers use quite a few tablets. Taking this many NSAIDs per week will IMHO, add rebounds to people that are not currently having to deal with this problem.
4. How do I see this relating to/effecting cluster sufferers? Many spend years misdiagnosed as migrainers. Add rebounds to their mix and they'll spend even longer periods of time being misdiagnosed. Now as migrainers with rebound headaches.
5. Yes, I suspect the tablet to be advertised as the most effective sumatriptan tablet and will be in competition with the older formulation coming out as a "lowly" generic. Many headache docs don't like prescribing generics so watch for insurance co. problems to increase also.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 9:35pm »

on Feb 24th, 2006, 2:32pm, BikerBob wrote:

In the study, 65% of the patients taking the combination achieved pain relief at two hours versus 49% taking a triptan alone or 27% taking placebo.  

BB

The combination doesnt seem to show any added benefits for clusters unless they last over 2 hours.

I think that Aleve, Naprosyn, Naproxen sodium are good for migraines and lasting shadows though.

Unfortunately they can cause rebound effects for me and CH.  

The combo just seems like a marketing deal to me. Like selling shredded lettuce with carrots.
IP Logged

MJ
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 8:08pm »

Wink Make a pill that causes rebounds and another that cures them. What a way to ensure strong sales. No marketing needed. Reminds me of a snake eating his own tail. And around and around laugh
Good info..
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 3:29pm »

Perhaps the goal (and effect?) is to give a drug that stops a cluster attack and the other drug keeps it from breaking through again. Aleve is said to last for 12 hours. Like Ibuprofin and the other NSAIDs there are limits to how much a person should take. I always take Aleve for shadows and sometimes in hopes of staving off a cycle. I've gone up to 6 years between cycles. Not sure why so long, but I do Thank God for it! Rich
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss