Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone have oxygen NOT work? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone have oxygen NOT work?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone have oxygen NOT work?  (Read 753 times)
karrie35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anyone have oxygen NOT work?
« on: Feb 26th, 2006, 3:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would say oxygen with a non-rebreather mask works for maybe 2 out of 10 attacks. It sounds like so many others get 100% relief within 15- 20 mins at 12-15 liters, is that correct?

Karrie
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

Re: Anyone have oxygen NOT work?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 4:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

O2, with a standard non-rebreather mask, stopped working for me 1/2 way through my 2000 cycle and didn't work at all for my 2003 cycle.  Then I purchased a Clustermasx, and it killed every single CH I had during my last cycle (Dec-Jan 2005-2006), and none of them went beyond 20 minutes long.

It made a HUGE difference for me.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2006, 4:31pm by Melissa » IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 4:21pm »

YES!  I have used 02 many many times.  "Now before we get any smart a$$ed remarks I am a Respiratory Therapist with 12 years experence and finishing my Pre Med so suffice to say I know a LITTLE more than most about Oxygen and Oxygen delivery devices".  So What has happend for me is that while I have the O2 on within a few mins my pain subsides.  However, as soon as I take it off it comes back as my O2 levels go back down. So I get to sit on the outside of most of my fellow clusterheads who get to suck down the Os.  Hope it works for you!!

Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 5:53pm »

Yes it worked for 2 years for me as you described then it stopped working all of a sudden.  It hasn't worked in over 4 years now.  I have retried it on occassion but still no luck.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:16pm »

It always stops my headaches, but I have to taker oral cafergot when I start the oxygen or the headache comes right back 10-15 minutes later. From what MYNM said, (the respiratory therapist) that would coincide with the oxygen levels in my blood going back down. If it stops the headaches but then they come right back, you might want to talk your doc into letting you try the cafergot in concert with the oxygen. The only side effect for me is I don't sleep for 6-8 hours, but I'm caffeine sensitive anyways!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 11:14pm »

It never worked for me. I gave up on it a long time ago.

UNsolved
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 11:55pm »

Oxygen doesnt work for me either , in fact it increases the intensity of CH for me.

The reality is that over 70% of those that do try oxygen do get relief.

Then their is us small percent that get no relief and those that get partial relief.

IP Logged

MJ
Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 3:41pm »

Hello,  
     I have been chronic for about 4yrs now. O2 used to work well. I have the phenomenon happen when O2 kills the CH then comes back soon after you quit. I use roughly 1 J-tank a week and it kills maybe 1 out of 10 HA's.
   Hope you have better luck,
         Damon
IP Logged
totka2
New Board Old Timer
Hungary 

Oxygen

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 4:28pm »

on Feb 26th, 2006, 3:49pm, karrie35 wrote:
I would say oxygen with a non-rebreather mask works for maybe 2 out of 10 attacks. It sounds like so many others get 100% relief within 15- 20 mins at 12-15 liters, is that correct?

Karrie

Non-rebreather? Try the www.clustermasx.com

Steve TO2TKA
IP Logged

http://www.clusterheadache.hu
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 9:05pm »

on Feb 27th, 2006, 3:41pm, Damon wrote:
O2 kills the CH then comes back soon after you quit.

O2's a wonderful thing, but it's not the End All and Be All. Unless you have unlimited time on your hands for Huff after Huff, you take an abortive, then Huff.

Practice makes perfect.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 6:05am »

I used O2 for about two years before stopping.
I know that O2 works wonders for many sufferers but my experience with it was at best poor.

Most of the time it failed to abort attacks and the attacks that it seemed to abort - were back in under 30 minutes.  

Let me add that this has been my experience with any l abortive treatments that I've tried so in my case it may be just a resistance to abortive treatment. Huh

Tom  

TOm
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 2:46pm »

Didn't work for me Embarassed   but i am thinking of trying again since i was on different meds then. first someone has to tell me about this cluster mask.........sounds like something jonny invented.......
       tim
IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 3:15pm »

Here's the website:
  www.clustermasx.com

This thing can be vouched for by dozens of us as one of the best O2 delivery apparatus' ever. It gives concentrated O2 without the leaks that the "cheapo" masks that the O2 services give you. If you've ever said "I'd do anything to not have these things go on like they do" --- here's one of your "anything's" to do. Order one.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 3:29pm »

thanks scott, i will be odrdering one just as soon as i get my neuro to re-prescribe the gas.........

tim
IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #14 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 8:09am »

Found there's a real need for speed with O2 - the sooner you're on it you get faster and more effective relief.

It picked up maybe 80% of attacks last cycle - and the switch to clustermasx half way through improved things as well.  You just have to be careful to have enough to stop things and not have the bugger come back.

As more of an aside another benefit of taking O2 is that it's side effect free and has been absolutely no barrier to conception (isn't verapamil being trialled as a male contraceptive?) - since our second child was conceived mid cycle last Autumn!
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 4:36pm »

on Feb 27th, 2006, 9:05pm, Mr. Happy wrote:

O2's a wonderful thing, but it's not the End All and Be All. Unless you have unlimited time on your hands for Huff after Huff, you take an abortive, then Huff.

Practice makes perfect.
RJ

GEEE all this time and money spent on education  I even work in healthcare too and I never thought about taking meds too.   COME ON DUDE  I am not STUPID!!!

IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Melissa

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 4:40pm »

on Mar 1st, 2006, 4:36pm, mynm156 wrote:

GEEE all this time and money spent on education  I even work in healthcare too and I never thought about taking meds too.   COME ON DUDE  I am not STUPID!!!

??? mynm, I don't see where Hap was responding to YOUR post?  Why are you getting so defensive?
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 4:59pm »

on Mar 1st, 2006, 4:40pm, Melissa wrote:

??? mynm, I don't see where Hap was responding to YOUR post?  Why are you getting so defensive?

No you are correct He didnt quote MY post directly.  However, if you would revisit my post you will see that I was describing the same phenomenon.   That being the case I responded albiet with a little added sarcasim.  

GOOD VIBES 2 U ALL!

MYNM156
IP Logged

Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:05am »

I found that in order for the O2 to work, I had to have a major hit, kip 8,9 or 10. If it was a smaller hit, then I didnt see any help. I dont know if this was because I was not using the correct settings, or the mask was defective (it is) or what. But to answer your question, I have had O2 not work.

Dragn
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #19 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:18am »

I have mixed results with it. So far, it works about 75% of the time. I haven't gotten the clustermasx yet, but I heard it will likely bring my success rate up to 100%.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 5:00pm »

I can't rate the clustermasx highly enough. It's not just me that uses it first time, every time for a hit, my four year old son has one too. He calls it his magic masx and says it blows the monster out of his nose.
He will scream blue bloody murder for his masx and he hangs on to it like a drowning man. He can abort in 5-10 minutes with it and you try telling a four year old the "right" way to breathe! If it can help him it can help anyone and that's about the strongest I can put it.
Hope that helps!
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 4th, 2006, 4:39am »

Quote:
Mr. Happy wrote:

12 abortives per month vs 10 HA's a week, will be ordering a clustermax soon though. Thank everyone here for all the great info.
IP Logged
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 4th, 2006, 6:56pm »

O2 has never had even the slightest effect on my HA. In fact, to date NONE of the meds/therapies/alternative solutions have had more than a glancing effect. The only med that helped at all was verapamil, and the side effects were too much.

Hope you have better luck that that, with many PFDAN!
IP Logged

Necrophelia means never having to say... well, anything!
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #23 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 5:53pm »

Oxygen helped with some cycles, but not much help with others. Last try, I was getting the immediately recurring attacks as many have mentioned here. I would try it again though-especially to check out the Clustermasx most have had great success with. Also, next time I will likely crank up my TENS unit until all of the nerves in my head, face, and neck are fried!  
Best of luck to all, Rich
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 1:29pm »

Karrie,  I use O2 and have wonderful results   Smiley  The only drawback for me personally is that I can't use it on the onset of a ch....it has to be migh higher on the KIP scale for me to get relief.  If I use it too soon, the beast comes back.  Good luck to you.....

Mia
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss