Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 11:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi, Newbie with a question ... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi, Newbie with a question ...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi, Newbie with a question ...  (Read 991 times)
jdd
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi, Newbie with a question ...
« on: Mar 9th, 2006, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let me start with an apology for starting a new thread.  I'm not sure where to post.

I have been an episodic CH sufferer for about twenty years now and not very happy about it (obviously).  I'm usually in cycle for about 2-3 months, then in remission for about a year.  It appears that I just started the dreaded cycle again.

Anyway, I just had a few questions (and I'm sorry if it's been discussed already):

(1) I recall the last time I went into cycle was right after I suffered from the cold or flu.  I'm just getting over a 24-hour stomach flu and I got a visit last night from CH man telling me that he's back.  It wasn't bad ... just lasted about 5-10 minutes and I'd say it was a Kip 2.  But this is how it started the last time.  Anyway, the question is, do any of your cycles start after a flu (to the episodic sufferers out there)?

(2) I've been reading a bit about this Kudzu and I have some to try.  Has anyone tried the Kudzu before they were in full cycle and have averted the attacks completely?  I'm wondering if I should try the Zu now, instead of waiting to be certain that I am in fact going into cycle.

(3) When you are in cycle, do you feel fatigued all the time?  I try to exercise regularly during remission, and I get into decent shape.  But then I get this feeling of constant fatigue and I suspect the cycle may begin.  Also, heavy exercise seems to be a trigger for CH.  Is this common?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: Hi, Newbie with a question ...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 3:13pm »

on Mar 9th, 2006, 2:54pm, jdd wrote:
Let me start with an apology for starting a new thread.  I'm not sure where to post.
Anyway, I just had a few questions (and I'm sorry if it's been discussed already):

(1) I recall the last time I went into cycle was right after I suffered from the cold or flu.  I'm just getting over a 24-hour stomach flu and I got a visit last night from CH man telling me that he's back.  It wasn't bad ... just lasted about 5-10 minutes and I'd say it was a Kip 2.  But this is how it started the last time.  Anyway, the question is, do any of your cycles start after a flu (to the episodic sufferers out there)?

(2) I've been reading a bit about this Kudzu and I have some to try.  Has anyone tried the Kudzu before they were in full cycle and have averted the attacks completely?  I'm wondering if I should try the Zu now, instead of waiting to be certain that I am in fact going into cycle.

(3) When you are in cycle, do you feel fatigued all the time?  I try to exercise regularly during remission, and I get into decent shape.  But then I get this feeling of constant fatigue and I suspect the cycle may begin.  Also, heavy exercise seems to be a trigger for CH.  Is this common?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

First of all, no apologies necessary.

1.) You will likely find some that have had this coincidental onset of clusters with an illness, or for others, after an operation, or others even have tried to link their coincidence with sunspots. There may be something to it, there may be not. It may or may not be worth finding the answer. Most importantly, understanding that a cycle has begun will help you prepare for the fight.

2.) I have had success with Kudzu. I don't like to take anything, whether it is "natural" or not if I don't have to. My cycles begin pretty clearly so at the first hint (for the past 2 cycles) I have started with the Kudzu regime. I still experience the cycle. The hits are fewer and far less severe when they hit. That is part of "managing" clusters. No cures, just help managing and fighting.

3.) Yes, I often feel fatigued during a cluster cycle. It is emotionally tiring dealing with the anxiety associated with actual hits and the concern of getting hit. Let alone, what I believe to be dealing with a goofed up body clock trying to get back in whack.  

It is common for heavy cardio exercise to trigger cluster hits among some of us.  I am amongst those that get hit if I do heavy cardio for more than about 25 minutes. The crazy thing is that for some sufferers, heavy cardio exercise aborts their hits. Go figure! So, yes, getting motivated to exercise when in cycle for me is extra difficult.

Hope this helps.

By the way. Welcome.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 8:06pm »

Ditto to Scott on everything but the Kudzu - since I haven't yet had to try it.

You might find the answer by reading your way down through the Kudzu threads - pretty long, but most likely will answer your question.

Yes, yes, yes, to fatigue - and depression as well.  Or perhaps the fatigue comes from the depression.

Hang in there, and remember ... there are NO dumb questions when it comes to things like cluster headaches.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #3 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 8:47pm »

Scott

There's nothing unusual about any of your questions.

Fatigue's a bugger and colds/sinus things linked somewhere along the line for my episodic CH at least once upon a time.

Lots of good things been written about kudzu tho' haven't tried it yet.  Non-rebreather O2 is good for me and if the Kudzu don't work there are plenty of sensible alternatives that might.

All the best
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 10:43pm »

I am chronic but i get hit more often and more intense when the flu is around.  I hope you feel better real soon.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jdd
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 11:16am »

Thanks everyone for the welcome and your responses.

Let me just clarify a couple of things.  I am uncertain right now whether I have entered the beginning of the cycle - I actually feel pretty good right now.  The physical fatigue comes on me before I enter a cycle.  It's like a warning that the cycle is coming.  I just don't seem to have any energy and sometimes feel a little dizzy.  

So I was wondering, given my uncertainty as to whether or not I began a new cycle, is it worth going on the Kudzu to try to avert the cycle (or at least lessen its effect).  If I'm not in cycle, I wonder what effect the Kudzu will have.  I realize nobody will know the answer.

You know it really is unfair that people on this board have to suffer so much.  I'm just an episodic sufferer and I don't understand how the chronics handle it.  I am so saddend when I hear about a 4 or 5 year old who suffer from this.  May God bring healing to them, and to you all.

Thanks for reading.  I wish for pain free days for all.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 11:23am »

on Mar 10th, 2006, 11:16am, jdd wrote:

So I was wondering, given my uncertainty as to whether or not I began a new cycle, is it worth going on the Kudzu to try to avert the cycle (or at least lessen its effect).  If I'm not in cycle, I wonder what effect the Kudzu will have.  I realize nobody will know the answer.

You're right, we really don't know.  Undecided
If your blood pressure is normal, it likely won't have any effect at all. Kudzu will not stop a cycle, but it will likely make it easier to deal with. I guess it's really up to you. If you start kudzu and don't start a cycle... was it the kudzu or was it no cycle? Personally, I'm one of those freaky "wait and see" types. Sometimes I will even "not" try to abort a hit, just to see if the duration is changing.  
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss