Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zomig dose »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zomig dose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zomig dose  (Read 597 times)
simplevox
New Board Newbie
USA 

greenbride2004  
Email

Zomig dose
« on: Mar 13th, 2006, 10:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was told by my neuro that I am not supposed to take the Zomig nasal more than 4 times a week.  Since I get a cluster attack every night... then I'll be taking it about 7 times a week. Is anyone else taking it that often?  Can it cause brain damage or something if you take it too much?  

Just wondering...
IP Logged

Simplevox
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: Zomig dose
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 1:14pm »

Not knowing your medical history, I couldn't speak to your doctor's concerns.  Maybe s/he is worried about blood pressure or cardiac issues.  You should discuss your concerns with your doctor if you feel there is no medical reason for the limitation.

As for me personally, my neurologist prescribed me no more than 3 per day, even though the manufacturer recommended limit is 2 per day.  

IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 2:30pm »

I took imitrex several times a day /daily for a couple of years. Zomig is in the same family.  There has been some discussion of to much use causing rebound ha.  I agree with Gator that you should take up the issue with your dr. not knowing your medical background.  If you have issues with bp or heart than limitation /avoidance should be observed.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Roxygirl
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 5:23pm »

I take Zomig once a day and can't live without it.  Actually my problem is getting my insurance to cover more than 6 doses every 25 days.  I had to buy some the other day and it cost $186.  Like I said, I can't live without it and will do anything to get it.  Right now I'm in the process of writing my insurance company a letter to see if they'll cover more.  Has anyone else who takes Zomig  had that problem with their insurance??
IP Logged
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Switzerland 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 10:32am »

on Mar 13th, 2006, 10:59am, simplevox wrote:
I was told by my neuro that I am not supposed to take the Zomig nasal more than 4 times a week.  Since I get a cluster attack every night... then I'll be taking it about 7 times a week. Is anyone else taking it that often?  Can it cause brain damage or something if you take it too much?  

Just wondering...

I take Zomig. on my first round, I took 1 to 2 a day,for about 3 weeks, it worked very good, with no problems at the time. Then got the "gloa" preventiv so there was no big need for Zomig. Didn’t Know about the O2 at the time, can live without it now as O2 works for me, for the times O2 doesn’t do it’s job I use Zomig Nasal (Zolmitriptanum 5mg) and starting "Gloa" agin. My insurance covers it all (no limit) but with the O2 they do limit (go figure) Zomig is very costly 175 Sfr. for 6 units.  
Astra Zeneca did send me a warning about over using Zomig, dou to the fact that they do not know-did not test usage on daily bases.

Cant tell you or help you on how much you should use, but talk to Astra they might help you, and know more, or will be able to help your doc. They are very helpful! even so they are a parma industry!

Michael
IP Logged

Scott S
New Board Newbie
USA 

Laugh every day and you have more days to laugh!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 1:17pm »

Just hearing about the Zomig use for acute attacks.  

Is this something ONLY for after the onset of an attack or has anyone used it prophylactically?

I have found the high dose Oxygen to be effective, but cannot use it if I get into a cycle and am away from home.

Thanks
IP Logged
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Switzerland 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 2:02pm »

on Mar 30th, 2006, 1:17pm, Scott S wrote:
Just hearing about the Zomig use for acute attacks.  

Is this something ONLY for after the onset of an attack or has anyone used it prophylactically?

I have found the high dose Oxygen to be effective, but cannot use it if I get into a cycle and am away from home.

Thanks

Hi,
Zomig is purly an abortive, I have it at all times with me (2 Units), when O2 doesn't work or it's not possible to use, like when I'm in a meeting or at a dinner party, I find the Zomig highly efective (for me) within 10-15 min. the beast is off my back, I administer it as soon as it seems like the beast tries to put its teeth into me.... and the relieve comes within a "short" time and the pain level hardly ever excides 7Kip and very little visible effects......so I dont get my co-workers or others into that 'looking skared that I am going to "freak out"' or even worth into the look 'get yourself together, what can be so bad and painful to look like that'............
 ....the link to Astra Zomig: http://www.zomig.com/professional_html/  
 hope I could help
wish you a PF time
Michael
IP Logged

Scott S
New Board Newbie
USA 

Laugh every day and you have more days to laugh!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 9:16pm »

Yes, very helpful.. Thank you.

I had figured that it was purely abortive based on everything I had read, but you know how sometimes things work a little differently than the manufacturer recommends.

Anyway, once I get into a cycle, it's lock clockwork when I wake up with the eye watering, head searing, nose running, etc.. so I just have to have the O2 ready.. or maybe this medication now.

Thanks again.
IP Logged
histic
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:22pm »

Exactly my frustration. I get clusters every spring for about 3 months. Only Zomig spray works completely, tho Ox helps alot. My insurance, after appeals, turned down my doctor's request for 30 spays/month, saying Zomig is not approved for clusters, only for migraines, so only approved for 6 sprays/mo. The other night, when I got an attack, I tried just Ox and one Frova 2.5mg (another triptan) and I was fine. I'm going to try to continue that. I'm also going to ask my doc about Lidocaine spray, also methoxyflurane dripped into a cloth and inhaled. Will let you know.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:11pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:22pm, histic wrote:
Zomig is not approved for clusters

Sumatriptan is the ONLY triptan approved for clusters. That's why you'll see the continued pesky appeals for guinea pigs for the Zomig trials (in the US anyhow.) Zomig may work, but until it's clinically approved, the PharmCo's have rights to denial.

Da Bastids.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:26pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:11pm, Mr. Happy wrote:

Sumatriptan is the ONLY triptan approved for clusters.  

Zomig may work, but until it's clinically approved, the PharmCo's have rights to denial.

Been really wanting to use the stuff myself but I've had to go with the flow for insurance reasons due to that reason right there above, and so continue with Imitrex scripts due to the larger quantity approvable.  

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:27pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
histic
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:16pm »

Apparently there is a heart concern with triptans if taken more than 6 times per month, though my doc doesn't seem concerned.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss