Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trex Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trex Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trex Question  (Read 610 times)
I Cant Dance
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

Kicking "Fat Bastard" to the curb!

Trex Question
« on: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I took imitrex pills a couple years ago, and they gave me issues with angina.  I have been through the mill it seems other than trying the antipsychodics and am looking to try stuff a second time that did not work before, thus my trex question:

Has anyone had any results from using injections at lower doses that still aborted, yet did not cause side effects?  Is the nasal a lower dose with less side effects?

My fear is that I try it and I get the angina thing and am unable to exercise during a hit.  The exercise is the only thing getting me through these things right now.  I just don't know how I could handle not having that edge, so the trex and those like it scare me a bit.  I gotta keep outrunning this bastardly beast, especially during my 2-2.5 hour hit everyday where I blissfully enjoy a sustained k9.

Thanks for any help and comments, I appreciate it.  I am very tired, 4 hour k6-7 last night.  Made me feel like this:

IP Logged

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met."
-Steve Prefontaine, "Without Limits"----Yeah Right! "I got yer pain right hiya."
unsolved1

Email

Re: Trex Question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 2:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I always split my Trex injection doses to a 3 - 4 mg dose or I use the vials. It definately cuts down on the side effects!

Goodluck

Michael
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 2:30pm »

If trex gave you angina you should see a cardiologist and have your cardiovascular system checked. Talk to the cardiologist about the risk of using triptans in your case.

The imitrex tip on the left of this page explains how to use 1/3 of a trex injection. When I did that several times, 1/3 to 1/2 of a trex injection aborted the CH in 10 minutes, but then I got another CH in an hour or two. Zomig nasal spray may be easier on your heart and longer lasting as a CH abortive than Imitrex.

In my opinion, people should ONLY use triptans when 15 minutes of O2 at 12 lpm through a non-rebreather mask fails to abort the CH.

I don't use triptans at all anymore. I use alternative therapy www.clusterbusters.com and O2.

BB
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 2:34pm »

I'll have to agree with BikerBob....have your heart checked out before using any more imitrex.  As for me - in the beginning of my cycle I can abort w/ 50 mgs of oral imitrex.  During the middle, I have to take the 100 mgs.  I use the injections as well and can use 1/2 a dose to abort.  I have the vials now and will play around w/ the 4 mgs after my other and OLDER meds are gone.

Sure hope you can get some quick relief,
Mia
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 11:06pm »

As stated above, check with your doc before doing anything.  That said, I get along fine with 3mg injections off of vials.  I just saw my neuro yesterday and she said that the 4mg stat dose is out, so that may help you.  IMHO, pills suck cuz they don't work fast enough, NS seems to do ok, but once I went to vials, I'm never looking back.  If you do go to a 3mg out of a vial, you can get 2 full doses and 1/2 of a dose out of a vial, you just need to really work at it.  YMMV
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:23am »

. . . . and DO try 02 if you haven't already.  Tis' a miracle for those of us it works for (60-70%) to abort an attack.

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 5:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Apr 19th, 2006, 2:30pm, BikerBob wrote:
I don't use triptans at all anymore. I use alternative therapy www.clusterbusters.com and O2.

BB

Same here, best move I made. I too was catching the "rebound" attacks from trex, along with background headaches. Strongly recommend trying O2 for abortive purposes in lieu of the trex especially if angina is a result from trex.
IP Logged
I Cant Dance
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

Kicking "Fat Bastard" to the curb!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 12:32pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I do not have cardio problems, I am just highly sensitive to those drugs for some reason, yet they did nothing for the pain.  I am waiting for my clustermasx to arrive, but am not hopeful as O2 with a non rebreather had zero effect.

Waiting for a new type of kudzu to get here, am midway through a prednisone taper, am taking melatonin, tried another cafergot yesterday and a redbull the day before.  The redbull about killed me, as it made me sick to my stomach as I was trying to exercise to cope with the hit.

I'm getting my ass kicked, but the fight is not over.
IP Logged

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met."
-Steve Prefontaine, "Without Limits"----Yeah Right! "I got yer pain right hiya."
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:04pm »

Keep up with that strong attitude CantDance....it will get you over top the mountain to the other side.

Sure hope you find the right combo to get some pain free time.

Mia
IP Logged
jhammer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This is pure AGONY!!!

jhammer98
Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 8:26pm »

I have a question along the same lines but in regard to the Immitrex pills since it's been a while since I've taken them.  My Rx is for 100mg, how many is too many to be taking in one day?

None of my meds seem to be as effective this time around and I cannot get in to see my neuro until Monday morning.  

THanks,

~J
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 11:26pm »

on Apr 20th, 2006, 12:32pm, I Cant Dance wrote:
I am waiting for my clustermasx to arrive, but am not hopeful as O2 with a non rebreather had zero effect.

You'll know for sure if O2 is a no go for you after the Cmasx trial. It removes a bunch of the end user problems; nay-sayers have had positive results with the Cmasx, although there is still the occasional failure.

Don't be afraid to try Zoming nasal instead of Trex, if you get the chance.  
Pretty neat stuff.
RJ

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss