Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Adderall and CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Adderall and CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Adderall and CH  (Read 371 times)
ilcasastronza
New Board Newbie
USA 

Adderall and CH
« on: Apr 21st, 2006, 12:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is my first new topic starter, and third overall post here on the CH boards, so I'll be not to ostentatious, yet hopefully understood.  
I have been a migraine/CH sufferer for roughly 16 years now, being only 22, its quite sad really. I have tried a good number of medications, diets, etc, like many of you here have done as well.  
Recently, I was prescribed two things to help with my CH as a preventative measure, Topamax, and something for mild attention deficit disorder, Adderall. The topamax, unfortunately, had too many side effects. They were so intense, that I could not get through the first four weeks with. Dry mouth I can deal with, feeling tired in the morning (I took it in the evening) was fine. But the bad stuff kicked me as I was down. It caused me physical kidney pain, it earned its reputation of being dubbed "stupamax," where as a University student doing my thesis, this wasn't going to pass. It was only 25mg once a day.  
I stayed on the Adderall, a very very low dose (5mg a day). Since I've been taking it I haven't had large headache to date. I still get minor ones, but usually that are attributed to me being hungry. I can't say its for everyone, for it is an amphetamine and may be illegal in your country (I'm in the US). However, I've noticed that being able to concentrate more on the tasks at hand, like my thesis, I'm using less brain power to look at everything as a whole big picture instead of looking at a tiny snapshot in my little world. My usual time of late march/early April cluster has not hit yet, and hopefully it will not hit any time soon.  Smiley
Has anyone tried this route? I would like to hear some feedback/questions/comments/concerns/ and the like on others' experiences.

Il Casa Stronza
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Adderall and CH
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 12:46am »

I (should) take Concerta for my ADD. I find that it actually aggravates things for me. I tend to have more shadows when I take it. I still take it on occasion, when I have to function at my best, but for the most part, it's had quite the opposite effect for me. I have heard of one or two people who say that ritalin will abort an attack for them.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
ilcasastronza
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 2:23pm »

Ritalin/Concerta though are in a seperate category than Adderall, which is an amphetamine. Ritalin and concerta are methylphenidates. Both target the same general areas, but in different ways. Not to sound rude, but I'm more interested in amphetamines, or at least Adderall like drugs, in finding out people's experiences.  

I'm not quite sure I know what you mean about shadows though, probably do, just under a different name or just the experience.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Shadows are dull headaches or sensitivity in the general cluster area - cluster related, but without the sharp, focused pain that would qualify it as a real cluster.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2006, 4:35pm by floridian » IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 4:50pm »

Adderall always aggrivated my headaches. Seemed to bring them on much faster than if I hadn't taken any.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 8:16pm »

Hi,

First - I'm sorry you've been such a long time sufferer.  You're at the right place.

Topomax is a recognized preventative, which some sufferers swear by, but others hate and absolutely will not use because of the side effects.

Adderall is strictly an amphetamine.  By it's nature, it probably causes some constriction of the vessels which could theoretically help clusters.  This is the first time, however, that I've ever heard of it being prescribed for that purpose.  As Nani said, usually those type meds serve as triggers rather than helpers.

It all boils down to this ... either your doc is a genius or a complete idiot.  Please keep us informed.

On the plus side ... if you need to lose a few pounds, you'll find some pretty good results with your new prevent!

Good luck!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss