Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 3:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Amitriptyline?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Amitriptyline??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Amitriptyline??  (Read 619 times)
jhammer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This is pure AGONY!!!

jhammer98
Email

Amitriptyline??
« on: May 1st, 2006, 11:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anybody taken Amitriptyline for CH's???

I stopped by the Neuro's office this morning (without an appt. nonetheless) to see if he could do anything for me since I only have 2 Imitrex tablets left for the next 20 days.  He bumped up the dose of topomax I'm on (which hasn't been working anyway) and wrote out a prescription for the amitriptyline.  I still haven't had a 24 hr. period of time where I haven't taken any imitrex to give the Relpax a try.  I'm going to see if I can make it to 11 pm tonight without popping one so I can try it out.  I'm on the down side of  Kip-5 right now thinking...it's only 720 more minutes, I can make it...I hope.

~Jake
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: Amitriptyline??
« Reply #1 on: May 1st, 2006, 11:49am »

Tried it and got nothing out of it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it.  

Good luck on the Relpax.  I tried that a couple years ago and it made me feel like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bucket for hours longer than an attack lasts.  Won't be doing that again.

IP Logged
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 1st, 2006, 4:56pm »

jhammer,
I'm currently speed-balling amitriptyline (10mg) and melatonin (9mg) about 1/2 hour before I go to bed.  Only been doing this for about 5-6 days, as my cycle is just starting up.  I did start out on 3mgs of melatonin to go with the amitriptyline.  Also, my neuro recommended I double the amitriptyline in a couple of weeks.  I'll be sure to keep you informed as to my progress, but as of yet, I've not seen any positive changes.  I'm waking up about 3-4 times a night with attacks, aborting with Imitrex (or suffering when I feel I'm borderline OD'ing on the stuff).  I did only wake up once last night, but it could be an outlying case.  I will be getting my O2 flowing in the next few days as well.
talbers
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2006, 9:42am »

Another name for this medicine is Elavil.  If you do a search you will find that several people have had good luck with this medicine.  There have been studies done that have proved promising.  However, everyone is different and it may do nothing for you.  It didn't help me. Sad
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jhammer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This is pure AGONY!!!

jhammer98
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2006, 10:46am »

Well so far so good!!!  I've only been on the stuff one day and I've been feeling pretty good!  I did get hit pretty hard last night at my usual time, 12:29 am on the dot.  But I missed my evening and morning visit from the beast all together.  I'm not sure if this is due to the new drug or what but I'll keep everyone posted.

~Jake
IP Logged
TedtheBear
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: May 13th, 2006, 10:20am »

This is what the doctor put me on back in 2003. Started with 10mg. went up to 25mg. along with Amidrin (generic for Midrin). After 2 months-no headaches. Then in late 2005 while going through the weaning process from the amitriptyline, the Beast came back. I went back to taking the 25mg., but NOW, it does nothing. Took this week off because on Tuesday it was a total Bear. Went to see the doctor (actually his PA) on Thursday, and we had a long talk. He called the doctor and I was given a prescrption for Midrin (brand!) and Elavil 80mg. I'll be seeing (the doctor) in a month. He can't say at this time whether the medicine will work or not. How can you tell? Or can you? The doctor said that I may have been at the end of a cycle, and it "appeared" that the medicine worked. OK, so here I am taking this medicine again, and what if again, I'm near the end of my cycle, and it again "appears that the medicine has worked. This quite not so merry-go-round is what we have to go through? Hope you were able to decipher this message. Any suggestions?
IP Logged

Don't just aim high, hit the target!
mrnice

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 13th, 2006, 9:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was on amitriptyline because my neuro thought I had migraines.  I got up to a huge dose.  It makes your mouth parched all day even if you drink 3 litres of water.
It definitely made my clusters WORSE because it messes with your sleep schedule.  If you dont take it the same time everynight and go to bed at the same time too you may find yourself with more clusters.. just my experience.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 18th, 2006, 11:16am »

I found that it worked after about a week, but the side effects were so strong that it wasn't worth it.

IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 18th, 2006, 5:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just got off of it last year. I was up to 200mg a night. It did nothing for the clusters for the 3 1/2 years I was on it. I wa on it for insomnia though, and when I did sleep I had hella-wicked nightmares! I also think it made my sleep worse - I'd fall into such a deep sleep that by the time a CH woke me up it was full blown and trex or o2 wouldn't stop it.

Be sure nothing you are currently taking interacts with Elavil (amitriptyline). Otherwise, if taken with Ultram (Tramadol) it can cause seizures. I found that out the hard way. I hope it has some benefit for you.

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
TedtheBear
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: May 18th, 2006, 8:04pm »

Hmmm. Interesting! I don't have any peoblems sleeping. I've only had "one" nighttime visitation ever , and that was last week. Seeing that I'm rather new to meds. I ask whether I REALLY should be taking Amitriptylin. Does the Amitriptylin serve as a prophalactic for the entire day or is it merely a nightime remedy, so one can sleep?
IP Logged

Don't just aim high, hit the target!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss