Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 5:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « botox (myobloc) injections »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   botox (myobloc) injections
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: botox (myobloc) injections  (Read 534 times)
moke17
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

botox (myobloc) injections
« on: May 12th, 2006, 10:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

about tow and a half weeks ago i went to a phsyiatrist on referral from my gp and got a series of shots in my head- the back and forehead mainly. i have noticed a difference in the frequency and sometimes in the intensity. they are supposed to last for 3 months. i was wondering if others have had this and what results they may have gotten. also, has anyone tried this long - term? most things that help me seem to lose effectiveness after some time.  btw- the shots themselves hurt - rather like bee stings but so far even this "sometimes" improvement has made it worthit.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: botox (myobloc) injections
« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2006, 11:19am »

The medical literature suggests it's not very effective for Cluster although individual differences are always in operation--so you may be the positive exception.

I understand that it's a costly treatment. If so, for you, it might be worth exploring less costly options.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
moke17
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 12th, 2006, 12:56pm »

the first week it seemed to help more. i am now back in a bad cycle - shadows as we type. the company that makes the myobloc brand has a program where if your insurance won't cover it, they will give it to you for free, which is what i had to do. my insurance does not cover much that has been helpful for me.  it is such a joy to have found this place and to know i am not alone. it is such a hard thingto deal with, the depression , suicidal thoughts, not to mention actual pain. it truly helps to know that others just already UNDERSTAND, i think i will be back here alot.
ps - the weather where i am has bee cold and rainy for a week and that always make me worse. funny the things we'll try for relief, tho.
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #3 on: May 12th, 2006, 10:21pm »

Hey Moke, hang in there.  I did the Botox and got relief for a couple of days right off the bat, then it subsided for a few, then kicked back in.  Everyone is different but it is a good part of my arsenal now.  Hope you get some PFDN soon.
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 13th, 2006, 9:53pm »

I got botox injections for a couple of years.  It helped prevent my migraines but did nothing for my ch.  Eventually since it had been so long since I had a migraine I stopped the botox and I get a migraine like once every 6 months.  I hope it does more for you than me.  Good luck.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 14th, 2006, 9:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You got shots in the back of your head from a psychiatrist ?

Whats the psychiatrists name?
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2006, 9:24am by chewy » IP Logged
moke17
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2006, 11:39am »

no, it was a psyiatrist - they are involved in rehab medicine
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2006, 10:23pm »

Haven't had any botox but from what I understood it prevents the release of acetylcholine.  That's a substance muscles use to talk to each other.  The toxin helps them to relax.  It decreases the spasm, which can be very painful but is still secondary to whatever else is going on.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss