Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 7:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Preventatives for chronics »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Preventatives for chronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Preventatives for chronics  (Read 923 times)
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

Preventatives for chronics
« on: Aug 10th, 2006, 6:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At the risk of joining the burgeoning med-free movement out of pure desperation, I have some questions about preventatives for chronics. Topamax worked quite well for about 2 months at lessening the severity of CH hits, getting rid of an intractible migraine, and letting me sleep. It didn't end the cycle or allow ANY pain free days though, and eventually it seemed to stop working. But it seems other preventatives (verapamil, lithium, and worst of all, lamictal) only made me WORSE.  

Do any chronics have ANY history of ANY preventatives leaving them with pain-free days or breaking a cycle?  Do preventatives often make chronics worse, or am I unusual?  

I'm trying to figure out what to try next, and am leaning towards upping the frequency of RC seeds over what I tried before to maybe 5 seeds twice a day, NOT using wine to soak them in, combined with a fat-free raw vegan diet for a few weeks (with fatty acid supplements).

(edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2006, 6:09pm by Katherinecm » IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

Re: Preventatives for chronics
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 7:09pm »

Katherine (I love that namel!),
I've gone chronic this cycle, the verapamil doesn't seem to be doing much.  I'd like to hear from other chronics though-this is new territory for me.  I've never tried topamax or RC seeds, but am seriously looking at the seeds within a month.
PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 10:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

NOPE !! sorry ... I'm chronic (have been for about 6 yrs now). The only 'preventative' that has ever helped me is Histamine. The rest of the drugs I use are 'transitional' drugs (Solu Medrol & DHE) <--- Can't use them too often. And of course ... Imitrex inj. to abort attacks.

Goodluck on your quest to find a preventative med that works.

UNsolved

PS> just wanted to add that I don't think DHE fits into any of those categories exclusively. It works to prevent attacks for me temporarly (preventative) ... It can stop an attack if given quick enough (abortive) ... but you can't use it all the time (transitional).  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
chopmyheadoff
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Its only a headache, deal with it - SMACK

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 8:54am »

i must be really lucky coz after being chronic for 7 years i was prescribed verapamil 1 month ago today and have been pain free since that day.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

so there is hope
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 9:01am »

I'm chronic and I've tried everything bar DHE with some disastrous side effects on some stuff.
The only thing that has ever given me any PF time is the RC seeds (barring abortives) I'm currently on day 14 of pain free time since my last dose which is incredible for me and I'm loving it!
The trouble with CH is that nothing works for everyone, finding what works for you is a matter of trial and error but you will get there. I have  Smiley
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 11:13am »

I honestly do not feel that anything really helped.
Sorry.

I was getting hit regardless of all of the meds I was on.

There were short periods where things did seem to help but then got progressively worse.
Sorry.

The only thing which I really think helped was
Verapamil REGULAR release and lithium, but then I got lithium toxicity.

Thus MED FREE............that has made me feel better.  

Still have attacks but less frequent and less intense for the most part and I feel healthier but that is only anecdotal.

This is not to say that I would not try again, though I highly doubt it.

Good luck.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 11:16am »

I have no information other than this abstract--but interesting.

J Headache Pain. 2005 Oct;6(5):417-9. Epub 2005 Aug 1.    

Warfarin as a therapeutic option in the control of chronic cluster headache: a report of three cases.

Kowacs PA, Piovesan EJ, de Campos RW, Lange MC, Zetola VF, Werneck LC.

Headache Section, Neurology Division, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital de Clinicas, Universidade Federal do Parana, Rua General Carneiro 181/1236, 80060-900 Curitiba, Brazil. cefaleia@hc.ufpr.br

Chronic cluster headache remains refractory to medical therapy in at least 30% of those who suffer from this condition. The lack of alternative medical therapies that are as effective as, or more effective than, lithium carbonate makes new therapies necessary for this highly disabling condition. Based on a previous report, we gave oral anticoagulants to three patients with chronic cluster headache. Two of them remained cluster headache-free while taking warfarin. In the third patient, the use of warfarin for three weeks initially increased the frequency and intensity of cluster headache attacks but subsequently induced a prolonged remission. In spite of the paucity of data available, oral anticoagulation appears to be a promising therapy for chronic cluster headache.

PMID: 16362716  
=====================
 Headache. 2006 Jun;46(6):925-33.  

Testosterone replacement therapy for treatment refractory cluster headache.

Stillman MJ.

Objectives.-To describe the clinical characteristics and laboratory findings of cluster headache patients whose headaches responded to testosterone replacement therapy. Background.-Current evidence points to hypothalamic dysfunction, with increased metabolic hyperactivity in the region of the suprachiasmatic nucleus, as being important in the genesis of cluster headaches. This is clinically borne out in the circadian and diurnal behavior of these headaches. For years it has been recognized that male cluster headache patients appear overmasculinized. Recent neuroendocrine and sleep studies now point to an association between gonadotropin and corticotropin levels and hypothalamically entrained pineal secretion of melatonin. Results.-Seven male and 2 female patients, seen between July 2004 and February 2005, and between the ages of 32 and 56, are reported with histories of treatment resistant cluster headaches accompanied by borderline low or low serum testosterone levels. The patients failed to respond to individually tailored medical regimens, including melatonin doses of 12 mg a day or higher, high flow oxygen, maximally tolerated verapamil, antiepileptic agents, and parenteral serotonin agonists. Seven of the 9 patients met 2004 International Classification for the Diagnosis of Headache criteria for chronic cluster headaches; the other 2 patients had episodic cluster headaches of several months duration. After neurological and physical examination all patients had laboratory investigations including fasting lipid panel, PSA (where indicated), LH, FSH, and testosterone levels (both free and total). All 9 patients demonstrated either abnormally low or low, normal testosterone levels. After supplementation with either pure testosterone in 5 of 7 male patients or combination testosterone/estrogen therapy in both female patients, the patients achieved cluster headache freedom for the first 24 hours. Four male chronic cluster patients, all with abnormally low testosterone levels, achieved remission. Conclusions.-Abnormal testosterone levels in patients with episodic or chronic cluster headaches refractory to maximal medical management may predict a therapeutic response to testosterone replacement therapy. In the described cases, diurnal variation of attacks, a seasonal cluster pattern, and previous, transient responsiveness to melatonin therapy pointed to the hypothalamus as the site of neurological dysfunction. Prospective studies pairing hormone levels and polysomnographic data are needed.

PMID: 16732838  
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2006, 11:22am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
SophiaK
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 8:39pm »

I'm on verapamil and warfarin, still got CH. I sometimes think verapamil makes them worse,  can't get off so easily due to Afib.
I wish it worked for me. Everyone is so different.
IP Logged
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 8:41pm »

Thanks Bob, that is very interesting. Maybe I'll try that next.

Sophia, if verapamil makes it worse, try another drug that does the same thing.
IP Logged

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 8:48pm »

Lithium and Verapamil everyday for 15 years, stopped 85% of my chronic HA's. 02 killed almost all of the rest of them.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 8:50pm »

I've tried o2 repeatedly, no luck.  I haven't tried ordering a clustermask though.
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 8:59pm »

on Aug 15th, 2006, 8:50pm, Katherinecm wrote:
I've tried o2 repeatedly, no luck.  I haven't tried ordering a clustermask though.

15 lpm?

Clustermask is a big help also.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 9:01pm »

15, yes. Then my neuro was concerned the reason it didn't work was because she'd had some trouble with others with my o2 rental place, had me try it from somewhere else, it seemed to make no difference.
IP Logged

kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 9:05pm »

Like Jonny, Verap & Lithium together is what works for my chronic head.
Hope ya find something that works quickly.

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 9:06pm »

That sucks!, it seems that you are among the few it does not work for  Sad
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss