Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 6:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Stretching the Imi »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Stretching the Imi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stretching the Imi  (Read 705 times)
ShaneM
New Board Junior
USA 

Will someone pull this out of my eye?

Email

Stretching the Imi
« on: Aug 27th, 2006, 8:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am trying to stretch my imitrex supply as much as possible.  The tip works for half the dose, but has anyone gotten relief at taking a third the dose?

Shane
IP Logged
chewy

Email

Re: Stretching the Imi
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 8:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thats what I use (1/3) at early onset.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 2:50pm »

I've aborted w/ literally a "squirt"
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 8:58pm »

My DH uses 1/4 and can abort within 2 mins if he uses it early.

To make it easier to gauge, once you peel the sticker off to see the solution inside the needle, use a marker pen to mark 1/2 way then divide into 1/2 again.

Then when you use it just push the plunger to the corresponding mark.

It works really well but you need to get in early, past a KIP 8 and it wont work so well even at full dose.

PFDAN wishes to you.

Annette
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 9:03pm »

1/3 works just as good, but for me the next visit comes back too soon, so I stick with 1/2 instead.
IP Logged
big guy
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 5:40am »

I have been using 1/2 with the same results as a full shot. This morning the pain was building really fast and  I was having trouble managing the tiny little syringe. It was the second half and had a large air bubble from where the plunger had backed up. By the time I got the air out I had managed to waste part of the shot and had maybe 1/3 or a little less. It did not work early as well as the 1/2 had been working. Knocked a 7-8 back to a 3-4 which with large amounts of coffee  has finally eased.  
I don't like using that tiny little glass thing twice. I want to get some syringes to divide my shots before I need them. Has anyone been able to get syringes and how did you do it?

Wishing all PFDAN

Big Guy
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 5:57am »

I too have killed plenty of them with 1/3 but as Blue experienced they came back sooner than with 1/2.

I used the tip for the first time during my last cycle and it saved me meds but I do somehow think I get longer lasting relief from the full dose, but it's hard to quantify this.

As for the bubble. I found that if I pointed the needle up for a minute the bubble almost disappeared. If you are very careful you can press just slowly and hard enough to just get a dribble you don't waste any.

And the injection is not going into an artery so I don't think a small air bubble will do any harm, might just make it slightly more tender? - but take this comment under advisement  

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 6:16am »

The little air bubble doesnt hurt at all as its going to just under the skin, not into any blood vessel. Afterall if you load the pen and use the full dose, you get the air bubble then anyway.

Annette
IP Logged
big guy
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 6:21am »

Thanks

I will keep working at it. It's just hard manage anything when the Beast is ripping your eye out

Big Guy
IP Logged
chopmyheadoff
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Its only a headache, deal with it - SMACK

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 6:31am »

on Aug 27th, 2006, 2:50pm, E-Double wrote:
I've aborted w/ literally a "squirt"

thought this thread was about imitrex  Grin
IP Logged
big guy
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 6:33am »

I've been afraid of that one!!!

Big Guy
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 8:45am »

I forgot to mention this (its been quite a while since I needed imigran), but as regards the standard auto-injector vial re-use:

I never have problems with the 1st partial dose getting the needle in. the 2nd dose the needle is not quite so sharp but still is ok. The 3rd time it does seem harder to push in. I reckon a 4th time is pushing it hard (literally).

I have never had any lasting soreness at the inj site or  using the "tip". Taking special care not to bend the needle when re-inserting it back into the case is the bit to watch for.

I know some use insulin needles but I personally would find that too much trouble. Even if it is harder to inject with split doses I would still use the standard autoinjector needle.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2006, 8:46am by JohnM » IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 5:42pm »

on Aug 29th, 2006, 8:45am, jmorgan52 wrote:
I forgot to mention this (its been quite a while since I needed imigran), but as regards the standard auto-injector vial re-use:

I never have problems with the 1st partial dose getting the needle in. the 2nd dose the needle is not quite so sharp but still is ok. The 3rd time it does seem harder to push in. I reckon a 4th time is pushing it hard (literally).

I have never had any lasting soreness at the inj site or  using the "tip". Taking special care not to bend the needle when re-inserting it back into the case is the bit to watch for.

I know some use insulin needles but I personally would find that too much trouble. Even if it is harder to inject with split doses I would still use the standard autoinjector needle.

Same exp here.  I luckly have not had to use shots for almost 8 months now. But when I lived off them, I would use 3rds, unless it was a really bad hit Kip8+.  Then I would use half.  But it is true that the needle gets duller each time you use it.  

Hell I even had a care pcackage sent to me with vials for needles, but I did not have needles. I have actually refilled the auto injector vial and used it again.  Not that i recommend it, but when push comes to shove you do what you have to do.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2006, 5:43pm by Tiannia » IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 10:51pm »

If you inject at a slight angle instead of perpendicular and with the bevel side of the needle upwards, it will enter the skin much better and will not become blunt, even when its used for the 4th time.

Annette
IP Logged
chopmyheadoff
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Its only a headache, deal with it - SMACK

« Reply #14 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 7:27am »

how the hell did you refill the autoinjector  Huh Huh

IP Logged
stacy3675
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hey! Everybody

stacy3675  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:53pm »

why are we stretching doses? how much does your insurance cover??  I get 8 boxes of the 6mg vials and each box has 6 in it plus 2 boxes of nasal, and pills.?? wo do you all have? maybe thats why i have extra.
IP Logged

StAcY SpRiNg
roy21302
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:01pm »

on Aug 31st, 2006, 7:27am, chopmyheadoff wrote:
how the hell did you refill the autoinjector  Huh Huh

I am with Chop here, how do you split up the dose if your using an auto injector, must have missed the class on this one.  Any advice any one???
                                                Cheers Roy Huh

must just say I am not using many, now I found O2
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:02pm by roy21302 » IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:07pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:01pm, roy21302 wrote:

I am with Chop here, how do you split up the dose if your using an auto injector, must have missed the class on this one.  Any advice any one???

Click on the "Imitrex tip" on the left.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

jon019

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 29th, 2006, 5:40am, big_guy wrote:

I don't like using that tiny little glass thing twice. I want to get some syringes to divide my shots before I need them. Has anyone been able to get syringes and how did you do it?

Big Guy

Hi Big Guy

For my first fill of trex script my neuro wrote out 4 mg stat dose pen. At the pharmacy (Costco) they offered the vials without me asking (thought the doc had to write script that way). Same price too (well, at least the copay). I figured what the heck, more doses, same stuff, same price, "Oh yeah, I'll take it". Next problem, no syringes. Now in past, when I asked for syringes in anticipation of someday needing them for this, every pharmacy asked for my script, without which they would not supply (this is Wa state by the way). This time when I asked, they asked what kind? I was unprepared and had to look at a whole rack of insulin types and guess which would be best. Chose the fine needle, 1/2" , 1 ml capacity. Since learned I should have gone with the 1/4", but then, just stick it in half way so no big deal.
Had to get a box of 100 and I really pray won't need that many for a LONG time. Anyway, if you have problem getting some, PM me an address and I will share on the house.

Hi Stacy,

why are we stretching doses? how much does your insurance cover??  I get 8 boxes of the 6mg vials and each box has 6 in it plus 2 boxes of nasal, and pills.?? wo do you all have? maybe thats why i have extra.  

unquote

What kind of script do you have that gets you that?!? Did you request this from your Doc? Would love to get a Zomig script like that.

From reading here, not from experience, there are several reasons for "stretching"

insurance issues

out of pocket cost

side effects reduction

long term effects reduction

This is powerful stuff. Why take more than you need. At least that's the way I look at it.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 3:10am »

If some one wants to PM me a pic of these syringe’s I’m sure I can come up with a way to easily measure doses into half & quarter.
I’ve done this before with the large horse syringe for mixing paint shades; by using a hollow tube like a ball point pen outer split in half & cut to size and placed over the shaft of the plunger.
You then only need to push the plunger until it comes to rest against this blank stopper.
Some measurement would help as well, IE the thickness of the plunger shaft and the length at full.

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss