Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verap side effect »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verap side effect
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verap side effect  (Read 408 times)
BigCoffinHunter
New Board Veteran
USA 

The man in black fled across the desert

Verap side effect
« on: Oct 19th, 2006, 9:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My cycle has been over for a couple weeks, but I'm still on the Verap as per Neuro's orders.  Over the weekend, my legs started to hurt, and Sunday night I see my ankles are swollen huge.  Took me a while to link it to the Verap, and I read that it's a side effect.  Call Neuro, he cuts me way back, problem goes away.
Anyone else have this happen?  I hate to avoid the Verap next time since it seems to work so well.  Is that something that could cause serious problems, or is it just obnoxious?
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Verap side effect
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 5:35am »

Yes,  

Had a problem with leg/ankle swelling and pain when my prescribed dosage went over 720mg.  The swelling was severe and painful - walking was uncomfortable and the affected areas extremely sensitive.  An adjustment in your dosage may be necessary - I dropped back to 720mg and that corrected the problem.

No lingering effects that I can identify but I did contact the doc. and we addressed the problem immediately.

It is a common side effect of Verapamil and my doc. wasn't comfortable with it but didn't specifically reference it being serious.  I'll have to ask for more information during this month's visit.

Best wishes,  

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 8:49am »

I've never been saddled with that unfortunate side-effect.

Constipation? That's another story.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
roy21302
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 12:34pm »

The swelling of the ankles is a common effect of verap, the higher the dose the more chance of the swelling appearing.  If you keep the dose up the swelling will progress up into the calf muscles.  This has happened to me several times, my Neuro was not worried by it, and as soon as I lowered the dose the swelling subsided.  
   To keep it down if you don't want to or can't lower the dose, try to sit with your leg up for an hour or so am and pm.  Also try to increase the distance you walk everyday, it helps a lot and worked for me   Cheers Roy Smiley
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:31am »

roy21302 makes a good point.  Periodically elevating your feet can help with this problem.  

Even at 720mg - long periods of time on my feet in my shop can result in swelling if I don't rest me dogs.

Even short rest periods are very beneficial.

Best wishes,

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
BigCoffinHunter
New Board Veteran
USA 

The man in black fled across the desert

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:44am »

This happened at a dose of 480.  As soon as I was lowered to 160 it went away.  I'm through with my cycle anyway, so not a big deal.  Just kinda freaked me out the way it suddenly started swelling like that.
IP Logged
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 6:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I never had any adverse effects from Verapamil, including the consti....pation.  
That is, until I started on the energy drinks.

Come to find out, the stuff in Red Bull and most energy drinks, Taurine, interacts with Verapamil and can exagerrate levels in your system which can produce severe heart palpitations and possible heart attack. I found out the hard way a few weeks ago, and even though I haven't had one energy drink since, I still get palpitations. Going to the Doc on the 7th and expecting a stress test on the ticker.  

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss