Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Occipital Nerve Block »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Occipital Nerve Block
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Occipital Nerve Block  (Read 499 times)
Bond007
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Occipital Nerve Block
« on: Apr 25th, 2007, 9:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My neuro did a "double" on me yesterday.  Basically, he injected me in both the right & left nerves instead of just the left where my CH attacks.  How much luck has anyone had with this procedure?  How long has it lasted for those of you who've tried it?  18 hours later, and I'm still "mostly" painfree.  I've had a couple of VERY minor CH's pop up, but nothing warranting my dosing with much.  (I'm using a highly diluted vial of Stadol NS to knock the very minor CH's on their kiester.)  Also, has anyone experienced rather severe nausea even the day after the procedure?  My stomach was just rolling all night long and today is no better.  I did call my neuro to ask about it as well.

Oh, one more thing, has anyone found this procedure to be painful?  My neuro was surprised that I didn't even flinch when he poked either side.  I actually had to ask him if he was done yet.  After he was finished he commented that he finally understood how much daily pain I've been in.  What did that mean?
IP Logged

Sometimes life bites you in the ass -- that's what drugs are for!!
Skyhawk5
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Occipital Nerve Block
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 11:57am »

Sounds like the Blocks may be working. I've never had one because I've chickened out more than once. Afraid of the switching sides thing. Your Dr. just may have that covered. Please keep us updated.

Although frowned upon, Stadol NS is a very helpful tool for me. (12 years of careful use during cycles). It is the only med we've found that prevents me from vomiting and sweating. Doesn't stop all the hits but enough.

Your Doc probably could see , sense & hear the pain radiating from you. My wife says she can.   Skyhawk5
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2007, 12:04pm by Skyhawk5 » IP Logged
Bond007
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 1:09pm »

Thanks Skyhawk5!

So far, I've had about a 70% improvement in HA's.  I'll take that!!
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 4:10pm »

Amen!! I'll take that number. I may need to borrow some of your courage when I finish my Pred tapper. If I can get my Dr. to do both sides. If I need it.  

I've taken most all the meds out there and have found none to kill the peak cycle hits except DHE IV. Currently taking Verapamil, Lithium, Frova as a prevent with samples from the Dr. Insurance only covers 9 pills/mnth and to cover 2/day would cost me $3,000 / mnth. Ouch!

The Dr. said studies have shown this treatment to be reasonably safe. It appears to be helpful but didn't stop those 10's.  

I'm very happy that you are doing better, makes me smile.                                    Skyhawk5
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2007, 4:11pm by Skyhawk5 » IP Logged
pieface_49
New Board Veteran
USA 

pieface_41  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 11:28pm »

No one wants to, how do I put it, blame anything but the hypothalamus.  There are medical studies supporting the occipital nerve.  The nerve that supplies the eye.  http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=79726

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=12230593&dopt=Abstract

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/GeneralNeurology/tb/5230
IP Logged

When God was passing out stinkers, I thought He said thinkers. I now have a better stinker than a thinker.
Bond007
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 10:15am »

Skyhawk, I've got courage to spare, so feel free to borrow some!   Grin  Good luck on getting those 10's diffused!

Sometimes insurance companies can really suck, I know.  Best of luck to you brother!

I may not be in the best of places recently, but I'm here if you need someone to lean on.
IP Logged

Bond007
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 10:30am »

Excellent (and encouraging) articles, pieface!  Thanks for find them and sharing.  Sadly, I easily fall into that subgroup of intractable, treatment-resistant chronic cluster headache.  If going spontaneously chronic wasn't enough!  Sheesh!!!
IP Logged

zuesthedog
New Board Newbie
USA 

dont give up dont give in

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 4:47pm »

I VE HAD MANY NERVE BLOCKS. The problem I had with them, they were always done duringbussiness hours and wear before the late night attacks.So from there i went to the elec, stim. on the occi.nerve. That procedure really help. After about a year the stim. started to migrate abd had to be removed. So instead of putting the stim. back on the occ.the DR. decided to place the stim. on the trigenimalWell its been over a year and its work              I Wish you PFDing great.
IP Logged

zues
UN solved

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 6th, 2007, 2:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've also had many Occipital blocks. The very first one I had worked great for 17 days. All the rest failed. The first one didn't hurt at all ... all the rest hurt a bit and caused swelling. Maybe if it's done right it won't hurt ??

Goodluck

UNsolved
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 7th, 2007, 7:29pm »

I've had 3 (2 were done in one sitting) none of them hurt, just a bit of a pin prick and a gross noise/feeling of crunch and pop.  The first one didn't work for me.   The second round may have but I was having DHE treatments and was a few months into a bad flare up so to this day I am not sure if it was the block or if the beast just finally decided to give me a break (I don't think it was the DHE cause I was on it for about 2 weeks at that point) but who the heck knows)

Glad to hear you are enjoying a break!!!
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss