Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Summary of Taurine & Magnesium trial »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Summary of Taurine & Magnesium trial
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Summary of Taurine & Magnesium trial  (Read 1643 times)
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

Summary of Taurine & Magnesium trial
« on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This post is rather long so I will have to load it in sections.
For the benefit of those who are new to this site I should explain how I came to be here.

I had my first encounter with this condition back in late 1999 where I got belted out of the blue with these horrible head pains and got myself an appointment with my GP who check me out thoroughly and found nothing sinister physically & suggested that I may have contracted a virus that was rampant at the time that was giving people terrible headaches, so it was a course of antibiotics, pain killers, $ 6,000.00 worth of dental work and three teeth less I still had to suffer out the 10 to 12 weeks of agony and then it just went away.
Five years later just about to the day the same thing happened & I thought here I go again I’ve got that damn virus back so its back to the GP a couple of times before she saw me going through a hit and she recognised the symptoms, referred me to a Nuro and the rest as they say is history, unfortunately this time around it didn’t go away & I have been chronic since.
I also developed Restless Limb & Exploding Head Syndrome, all conditions being related to a stuffed hypothalamus.
As you can see I haven’t suffered from this condition for the length of time nor had the experience that some here have but I wasn’t prepared to just stand back and get my ass (head) kicked forever.
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

Re: Summary of Taurine & Magnesium trial
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:20am »

Cont:
How did I come to be here at this site; my GP pointed me in this direction & I am so glad she did.
So to the Taurine trial; when people started reporting that Red Bull and the Taurine/caffeine it contained helped kill low level hits & others suggested that Taurine in tablet form with strong coffee may do the same; this got my attention so I researched through the web all I could about Taurine & I came across a couple of coincidental similarities with what I had read here at CH.com, one was that women in pregnancy had an increased level of taurine in their system and with further searching I found that Taurine is essential in the brain development of the unborn child & I related this to some reports by our ladies here that some of them didn’t get CH hits while pregnant & wondered if it could be because of the increased level of Taurine.
The other coincidental connection was an article I came across where Taurine was being used with some rather good results with patients suffering alzimhers and as most would agree the beast gives our memory a severe kicking so with these thoughts and having convinced myself that I wouldn’t grow a second head or develop cauliflowers in my ears or hurt my heath in any way I considered that maybe by taking Taurine supplements I may be able to rid myself of this beast so I got hold of some 500mg tabs & took them at the recommended dosage of three a day at meal times.
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:21am »

Cont:
The first week was as normal as usual with CH hits along with the RLS & EH, but by the end of that week I was getting my memory back & it kept improving in the following weeks. (I could actually remember what I went into a room for when I got there)
The next few weeks weren’t any different than the past with the hits but I noticed that the intensity and the duration of the hits wasn’t as great as before and appeared to be decreasing over time & I was at least getting some of my life back & this was more apparent when I added Magnesium to the regime about 2 weeks after I started with the Taurine.
I continued with the trial if only for the chance of proving or disproving its worth because of the results I had gained so far.
After a while I was starting to get some breaks between bad hits and as I have said before I don’t have a lot of experience with this condition so I had and still haven’t any guide as to where I should be so this is all hypothetical and I say this so as not to give anyone false hopes of utopia.
If you follow the links to my BLOG where I keep my headache diary you will see that I wasn’t getting much of a break between hits with the best early in the trial being 8 days & it wasn’t until nearly 2 months into the trial that I got a break of 14 days but the intensity of the hits was getting less on the KIP scale.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:23am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

[img]
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:22am »

Cont:
http://au.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-oT2JJXMzerQyQBygCRv3YiMCJuzW?bid=25&am p;yy=2006&mm=6

http://au.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-oT2JJXMzerQyQBygCRv3YiMCJuzW?bid=32&am p;yy=2006&mm=9

I should note that I was reading the KIP scale wrong where I was understating the value by 3; so where I have said in my blog that I had a 5 it was actually 8, I wasn’t counting shadows in the scale.

After 4 months into the trial I had a break of 39 days without getting hit, this was the longest break since going chronic & the attacks of RLS & EHS were decreasing & had almost ceased which was a great relief, for those who don’t get EHS they are like getting a KIP 10 for half a second or if you imagine Mohammad Ali standing next to your bed and laying a round house punch into the side of your head about every five minutes a couple of dozen times that leaves you very bruised & exhausted in the morning; then on October 2, 2006 completely out of the blue I got whacked with a KIP 8 that lasted 3 minutes, that incident was the last big hit I have had & I have been relatively clear with only shadows no greater than KIP 2-3 & currently enjoying a break of 244 days as of today June 3 2007.

What I would appreciate from our long time chronics is some feed back from your experience as to what I would or should have been experiencing; is what’s happening considered normal without treatment & therefore am I kidding myself or am I just having a lucky long break.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:24am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

[img]
Yorky
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

learn to meditate (or just sit & do nowt)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 5:56am »

cheers for the info barry.

long may you be pf.

(think i might try this route next time round)
IP Logged

today is a gift.....thats why it is called the

present.
klusterkopf

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 7:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Congratulations Barry!  I have read and been told by my doctors that sometimes cluster headaches diminish or disappear as the sufferer gets older-that has not happened with me, but whether your self treatment or getting older is responsible for all of your pain free time, congratulations and may your relief be permanent.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 8:28am »

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that I can provide is this:

Once I detoxed after a few yrs on meds I started getting breaks or I should say really low intensity hits for a couple of weeks then back to what seems to be peek cycle.

It is much easier to deal with for me and now I rarely have an attack that will exceed 30 minutes unaborted where I was going for hours.

I think many chronics have high and low minicycles or cycles within cycle as we call it.

I am just super glad that you found relief.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 9:24pm »

Fascinating Barry. Thanks for the briefing. Take care,
Phil
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 11:13pm »

Smiley, great news barry, thanks. i can not help with the feed back, iam episodic. andrew.
IP Logged
Wayne
New Board Old Timer
South_Africa 

RedBull Rules!!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 1:46am »

Hi Barry

Fascinating stuff, I looked at your blog and what truly impressed me is that you achieved this and still managed to have a few pints a night, Awesome!! Well I figure it certainly can't do any harm to replicate this trial and see if I get the same results.
Were you on any other meds when you started this or only using O2 as an abortive?
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2007, 1:48am by Wayne » IP Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 3:51am »

Barry, congratulations! It's just fantastic that you're PF! Wonderful! Smiley

Since my taurine trial I've noticed that I get a lot more shadowing and the hits have been milder. I did get my worst ever hit in this April, but I believe that taurine has helped me.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 8:14am »

How exciting for you! May it last forever.  I am going to show this to my guy and see what he thinks.  Thank you for the information.

Kimberly
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 7:08pm »

on Jun 5th, 2007, 1:46am, Wayne wrote:
Hi Barry

still managed to have a few pints a night,  
Were you on any other meds when you started this or only using O2 as an abortive?

Hi Wayne
I am able to drink stout wine & scotch but if I have a beer it will set off some heavy shadowing as does chocolate & some commercially manufactured foods like sausage rolls.
I’m guessing it’s not the alcohol; it’s the contents, preservatives maybe?

I don’t take any medication at all, o2, red bull & cold packs are my arsenal when needed.

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

[img]
Wayne
New Board Old Timer
South_Africa 

RedBull Rules!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 3:01pm »

Hi Barry

I've found that I can handle RedBull and Vodka but I think the Caffiene is fighting the alcohol, whatever it works for me, I'm still way to scared to try anything else in case it hurts.

Well I've started on the Taurine/Magnesium regime, I reckon I'll give it a week or two and then start weaning off the Verapamil - Slowly - and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice and you may well be right about the preservatives, theres so much rubbish in beer these days.

Cheers,

Wayne

IP Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 3:37am »

on Jun 5th, 2007, 3:51am, sandie99 wrote:

Since my taurine trial I've noticed that I get a lot more shadowing and the hits have been milder.  
Sanna

Interesting that you experienced the same, I shadow more now but havn't had a big hit.
Sorry for not posting sooner but i've been bush for the last 3 weeks.

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

[img]
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 4:12am »

Barry I noticed you mention sausage rolls and some processed meats can be full of sulphites which do cause a problem for some people. It might be worth your while watching sulphites in what you eat and drink and seeing if avoiding them helps.  

I'm glad you're doing so well, nothing cheers us all up as much as good news like this!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss