Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Migravent? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Migravent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Migravent?  (Read 7191 times)
alisonjmorrow
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Migravent?
« on: Oct 19th, 2007, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone tried Migravent? They have a testimonial from a CH sufferer on their site under "customer reviews"--wanted to see if anyone here had tried it and had any success.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Migravent?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 1:42pm »

I read the link and it is interesting. I already take some of the compounds mentioned, Magnesium, calcium and vitamin B-2, on the advice of my neuro. I've been on that regimen for several years and am convinced it has reduced the frequency and intensity of my attacks.  

If it's not over expensive it might be worth a try!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
alisonjmorrow
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 3:02pm »

Tell me more about the supplements you're taking--how much of each of those do you take? Do you take them during a cluster or all year? How often a day do you take them?

-Alison
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 5:59pm »

I'm episodic, generally 2 cycles a year spring and fall. Year round I take 250mg a day of B2, 500 mg a day Magnesium, a Calcium and vitamin D supplement, and a One A Day Silver cuz I'm approaching old fart status.

When my cycle starts I add 1200 mg a day of lithium as my prevent, with oxygen and cafergot, (oral), as my primary abort, imitrex injectables if I'm really getting slammed.

Since starting the B2 and Magnesium several years ago I've noticed a substantial decrease in both intensity and frequency of attacks. I'm the first to admit how hard it is to establish cause and affect with these things cuz they morph so often, but I've seen several other people post beliefs it helped them with their cycles.  

The magnesium will loosen you up a little at first, and the B2 will make your urine a dark orange, a little spooky if you're not ready for it!  

Guiseppi
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2007, 4:15pm by Guiseppi » IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
alisonjmorrow
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 6:18pm »

Thanks for the info; I'll talk to my husband about that (he's the CH sufferer). Right now he only has imitrex pills and zomig sprays for when the headache hits, and depending on when he catches it one of those typically takes care of it within 15-30 minutes. But he's completely knocked out the rest of the day, regardless of when it hits, night or morning or whatever. He was getting them once a year for a month in the summer, but then this past Feb. he had a month-long episode, and then Oct. 25 he started another, though we think it might have been triggered by an antibiotic he started that day. This episode was by far the worst he's had since being on meds, and also the most unpredictable; in the past he had them pretty much every other day, sometimes two in a row, but this time had a 9 day streak that really sucked. Hopefully this doesn't mean he's starting a worse cycle pattern--we just don't know.  

I appreciate the info you posted; thanks again for that. We'll see if maybe that helps!
IP Logged
billyjoe
New Board Veteran
USA 

Go Red Sox!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 6:25pm »

Cost is $36 for 60 pills and recommended dosage is 3 times a day.  That's $1.80 a day.  Any idea how that compares to purchasing some of the ingredients separately?
IP Logged
alisonjmorrow
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 6:42pm »

Is that every day all year long or just during an episode? My husband's episodes are usually a month long; that would be a doable expense...
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 2:10am »

on Oct 19th, 2007, 6:18pm, alisonjmorrow wrote:
Right now he only has imitrex pills and zomig sprays for when the headache hits

He should not be mixing triptans like that.

Maxalt (rizatriptan), Zomig (zolmitriptan), Imitrex (sumitriptan), Amerge (naratriptan), Relpax (eletriptan), Axert (almotriptan), Frova (frovatriptan) and meds containing ergotamine are dangerous to take within 24 hours of each other.   Mixing triptans can cause serious cardiac problems.  If you switch from one to another, wait at least 24 hours between the two different meds.  

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,633|Imitrex,00.html

Quote:
What drug(s) may interact with sumatriptan?  (Back to top)
Do not take sumatriptan with any of the following medicines:
•amphetamine or cocaine
•dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, eroloid mesylates, methysergide, or ergot-type medication - do not take within 24 hours of taking sumatriptan.
•almotriptan, eletriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, zolmitriptan - do not take within 24 hours of taking sumatriptan.
•medicines for weight loss such as dexfenfluramine, dextroamphetamine, fenfluramine, or sibutramine
•monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as phenelzine (Nardil®), tranylcypromine (Parnate®), isocarboxazid (Marplan®), and selegiline (Carbex®, Eldepryl®) - do not take sumatriptan within 2 weeks of stopping MAOI therapy.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,552754|Zomig%2BNasal%2 BSpray,00.html

Quote:
What drug(s) may interact with zolmitriptan?  (Back to top)
Do not take zolmitriptan with any of the following medicines:
•amphetamine or cocaine
•dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, ergoloid mesylates, methysergide, or ergot-type medication - do not take within 24 hours of taking zolmitriptan.
•almotriptan, eletriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan - do not take within 24 hours of taking zolmitriptan.
•medicines for weight loss such as dexfenfluramine, dextroamphetamine, fenfluramine, or sibutramine
•monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as phenelzine (Nardil®), tranylcypromine (Parnate®), isocarboxazid (Marplan®), and selegiline (Carbex®, Eldepryl®) - do not take zolmitriptan within 2 weeks of stopping MAOI therapy.

IP Logged
alisonjmorrow
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 10:45am »

Oh no, he doesn't take them together--depending on when he catches the headache he takes one or the other. If he catches it quickly the imitrex takes care of it, but if he wakes up and it's already pretty full blown he does the spray. Though I do think he once took both because the imitrex after half an hour hadn't done anything--very rare for that to happen to him--so I'll let him know that he can't do that anymore. Thanks for that info! Luckily he tends to catch them quickly and the imitrex works great for that.  

-Alison
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss