Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 8:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « accupuncture »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   accupuncture
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: accupuncture  (Read 3051 times)
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: accupuncture
« Reply #50 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 11:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

People, even doctors, are often times wrong.  When I hear people say they tried it but they put the needles in my lip, between the eyes, etc. what am I to think when for me 4 needles in completely different spots worked.  A cast is a cast even if it's on the wrong leg, but it won't work.  It sounds as though everyones experience with acupuncture was different than my own, but the placement of the needles was also different.  What should I believe, that the other acupuncturist are treating the right area and that I just got lucky, or it was crazy coincidence???
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #51 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 11:49pm »

It is difficult Mike.  Others have claimed their acupuncturist knew it correctly by hitting the right spot in their ear.  Another by small electrical shocks to the needles.

Different stories of how it happened with acupuncture make it hard.  It is tough to relate to say what is happening.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2007, 11:56pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #52 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 11:57pm »

Kevin,

While I haven't read of that, I'm sure it's true.  Isn't that part of the beauty of living in this day and age when we can share such ideas with people all over the world in minutes.  The problem is when people trash talk others, cut and paste previous statements-only to twist the meaning, and as far as I'm concerned just plain argue.
  There may be 100 different spots on the body that can eliminate CH...who knows.  But as long as people are critisized for stating which ones work and which don't, how's anyone to ever know.  I'll bet if everyone who's ever tried it gave details instead of just saying "it doesn't work, don't do it"  you would start to find similarities that could benefit many.
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #53 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 12:04am »

Mike

What your acupuncturist achieved by putting needles into the ganglion you can do yourself by applying ice to it, and its free, ice doesnt cost anything.

Now its your turn to be skeptical and I can fully understand that. The only way you can tell for yourself whether it was the greatest cure on earth that you discovered or was it a crazy coincidence is for you to wait until the next cycle, then you can return to the same acupuncturist, get him to put needles in the same spots 3 times and see whether it will work again.

In the mean time, please dont tell people " you should try acupuncture, it cured me for sure, if you try it and it doesnt work its because your acupuncturist doesnt know what to do so keep going to different ones until it works ". That is very misleding advice and it can cost people a lot of money for nothing.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #54 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 12:10am »

on Nov 15th, 2007, 11:57pm, mike wrote:

The problem is when people trash talk others, cut and paste previous statements-only to twist the meaning, and as far as I'm concerned just plain argue.

If you believe what I posted to you is "trash talk" and that I cut and pasted your previous statements with only the intention to twist your meaning then I have nothing more to say to you.

Good luck and goodbye.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
atcevik
New Board Newbie
Turkey 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #55 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 3:37am »

Anette, I will try to get my practitioner to respond, though I cannot promise. I am not familiar with mechanism of acupuncture, so I am not able to reply to you in anyway. If you are right and acupuncture is not the thing that made the pain bearable, then either tt is placebo, or there is something else I have been doing, will try to find out, but do not think this is the case, so although it may be hazardous for me to find out that the one helping was not acupuncture if it was placebo, I will try to learn about this.  

As for the nice person who told me to get off the boat, I would recommend him to read my post again, this time more carefully. What Ive written was not that I would not want to have any relationship. I was explaining why I ve posted the first message, the goal of the first message, not my goal, which post was not for establishing a long term relationship, which was a sentence to reply to Scott who said that I needed to establish some credibility.  

I was thinking that I would be misunderstood from that sentence while I wrote it,
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #56 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 4:34am »

Atcevik

Thank you very much for asking your acupuncturist to join the board so that we can all learn how his treatment may work for CH. I understand that he might say no but I thank you for trying.

I have no intention of driving anyone off nor putting anyone down. I simply shared my knowledge and experience as a doctor who has a post grad degree in acupuncture who practices it daily and my understanding of CH and why I dont believe acupuncture can cure it.  

I would love to have a discussion/debate with someone who is formally trained in acupuncture who has tried to treat Ch with some success to learn about what they know and how they do it.  

I believe such an opportunity will be beneficial to us all.
IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
cluster
New Board Veteran
Germany 

Water X 3 - It works !

acupuncture
« Reply #57 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 4:48am »

Thank you very much Annette and everybody else! I think this is a very good and interesting discussion. I have no experience with acupuncture nor do I have any opinion about acupuncture.

Here are some links with some more information about cluster headache and acupuncture and generally speaking I don't trust any information I find on the internet. Smiley

=> Low CSF met-enkephalin levels in cluster headache are elevated by acupuncture.

=> Acupuncture For The Management Of Cluster Headaches

=> PubMed search results acupuncture + cluster headache

pf wishes!
Friedrich

Edit for grammar mistake. Sorry, I hope I got it correct now.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2007, 3:54pm by cluster » IP Logged

-> Click here to join O.U.C.H.

http://ck-wissen.de - German CH Site

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge"
Daniel J.Boorstin
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss