Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 1:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 3rd shift and Melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   3rd shift and Melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 3rd shift and Melatonin  (Read 473 times)
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

3rd shift and Melatonin
« on: Dec 26th, 2007, 2:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey ya'll,
    I am about in the middle of my cycle now. I just tapered down off of Topamax because of the ineffectiveness of it. My next regimen was to be the Prednisone/Verapamil taper. I don't like these side effects and was trying to read up on all of the success people have had with other drug choices. 70% of my hits occur approx. 1-2 hours after I go to sleep.
My problem and question is about the week-end when I change my sleep to night-time.
Do I take the Melatonin no matter what time it is, or am I supposed to take it at a regular time? For example, I go to sleep during the week every morning about 9am, But, on the week-end, Friday and Saturday night I go to bed around 11pm.
Just looking for any and all advice.

Thanks, Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: 3rd shift and Melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 2:46am »

I think you should take it before you sleep, no matter what time that is.
That schedule must wreak havoc on your clusters. Keeping a regular sleep schedule is probably much better for you...but I guess it's a price paid for shift work.  Undecided

pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 6:47am »

melatonin is produced during the day and released @ night by the body.........pardon the clinical language Grin

I am not sure if it would be affective with your schedule but I don't think it could hurt.

I am not a doctor so don't take my word Smiley
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
circus1031
New Board Newbie
USA 

HE Who Gets Headaches

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 5:56pm »

I'm about 20 days into a cycle at the moment. Not taking any medication, 0xygen or anything. Water during the day helps me a lot it's the night that bothers me. I started melatonin two weeks ago.  

First week I took 9mg about an hour / half an hour before I went to bed (exact time doesn't matter I found that the first headache of the night comes about 2 and half hours after I got to bed and then another about 3 hours after that.)  

During the 9mg week no real change, KIP scale about 7-8 every occurance.

Second week I upped the dosage to 12 mg. Same number of occurances but intensity dropped significantly about 4 or 5.  

Yesterday upped to 15mg (I'm stopping there. 9-15 was the dosages I've read recommended by others.) So we'll see how that turns out.  

Hope this helps.
IP Logged
Jobette
New Board Veteran
USA 

This too shall pass! If you don't passout first!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27th, 2007, 9:50pm »

I am a shift worker and I take my meds at my SLEEP time whatever that may be. You will just have to ajust your meds to your work schedule.
IP Logged

Who gave cupid those flaming arrows, and why is he shooting them into my right eye?
Where is his love?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss