Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 8:47am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Prednisone/Verapamil ????'s »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Prednisone/Verapamil ????'s
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prednisone/Verapamil ????'s  (Read 560 times)
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

Prednisone/Verapamil ????'s
« on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What exactly does each drug do to knock down these CH's? I was under the wrong assumption before. I thought the Prednisone was the drug that shocked ur system but that it raised ur Blood pressure up hence the Verapamil being needed.
If anybody can tell me what they do and why they are needed, I'd appreciate it.
Also...... I assume after the Prednisone taper is over, I am to keep on taking the Verapamil until I think that the cycle is complete. Correct?
Whay happens if they come back? Do I have to take the Prednisone again?
I haven't had a CH since I started my Prednisone taper. Today was my last dose. I also am only taking 480mgs of the Verapamil but I am not getting any CH's, so i won't up it if I dont have to.

Thanks for all of your expertise. I truely appreciate it.

Patrick_A
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Prednisone/Verapamil ????'s
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:28pm »

Hi Patrick,

I'm not a Doctor and, in fact, I've never done a pred taper.  I plan to use this combination for my next cycle and here is what I've learned from the experience of others.  I'm sure those others will be along shortly to tell you if I have any of this wrong.

Prednezone is a steroid that can arrest a cycle but cannot be taken safely for a long time.  So a pred taper starts out at a large dose and tapers down over time.  Once the pred taper falls below a therputic level the CH will return with a vengence.

Verapamil works for many as a long term preventative drug.  It is effective in treating CH because it is a calcium channel blocker.  However Varapamil is a blood pressure medication it can't be taken at large doses quickly.  So you need to taper up.  

These drugs are combined so while you are tapering down on the Pred you taper up on the verapamil.  The two drugs act together to hopefully, simultaneously arrest the cycle and give you long term relief at the same time.  

The goal of this therapy is to reach a theraputic level of Verapamil before the prednezone level falls below its theraputic level.  I have see some folks up the pred again for a short time to bridge the gap if severe break through HAs appear.  

Of course it is very important that you work with your Doctor to manage this.

I hope this helps...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Kelly
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:33am »

Not to get get your hopes up but, I used the Prednisone dose pack and the Verapamil  (80mg 3 x daily) with my last cluster and that was over three years ago.  My Dr did not have me taper up the Verapamil.  I stopped getting anything other than ghosts after about day two or three of the Prednisone/Verapamil treatment.  I was sure when I was out of cluster and stopped the Verapamil cold with no side effects.  

My Dr said the Prednisone would, hopefully, force my body to correct the problem that was causing the pressure and the Verapamil would keep it from returning.  I heard no more pain and stopped asking questions.

I just started another cluster after xmas and I am waiting for my appointment to ask for the same thing.  

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.  I was getting about one clusters per year for 2-4 months at a time.  This was for almost 8 years before I tried this treatment and got the relief.

Good luck.
IP Logged
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:22pm »

Prednisone must have worn off. I got hit with a Kip 6 this morning. It was very manageable, but after a week PF, I was disappointed to say the least.
I am at 480mgs of Verapamil. I forgot to take my Melatonin this morning, I wonder if that had anything to do with it!
Sorry all, Just rambling
hmmmm... Don;'t forget the Melatonin!

Patrick A
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 10:30am »

Or, if the verapamil alone doesn't cut it, you might want to suggest combining it with 600-1200mg of lithium. This combo is magic for many around here.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss