Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What else can I try? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   What else can I try?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What else can I try?  (Read 618 times)
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

What else can I try?
« on: Jan 8th, 2008, 8:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quick history - 37 year old eposodic sufferer for 22 years.  Haven't been able to completely break my cycle since Feb of 2007.  Had a month or so hear or there of pain free.  Dec 19th started up again.  Neuro feels that it has morphed into paroxsymal hemicrania (sp?).  I cannot take verapamil as it has caused arthymia the last time.  Currentlt taking - indomethacin 150mg, melatonin 9mg, 02, red bulls, and ice.  Have had to resort to imitrex or zomig at least once every day.  Was hoping to try rc seeds or shrooms but have been unable to go the five day detox.  Now my anxiety/depression is starting in.  Any advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.  I am literally at my wits end.
Thanks!
Tim
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

Re: What else can I try?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 9:14am »

One of the worst characteristics is the ability of the CH to "adapt" to meds...much like the Borg on Star Trek-
indo ususally works on PH, not on CH, how about lithium?  Up melatonin a bit for those night time hits and maybe add benadryl.  

Hang in there!
PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 9:30am »

How high can I go with melatonin?  12mg?
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 9:39am »

Tim, there is no shame in taking Paxil or something like that for panic attacks/anxiety/depression.  It seems to go hand in hand with some of this.

Also, has your doc tried a pred taper?

Have you tried Kudzu?  You can get it from vitacost or iherb on the internet, and follow the directions on the container - it helped me for 14 months and had the approval of my doc, pharmacist, and neurologist.  Then the company stopped making the form I used and the other forms didn't work for me.

The thing about verapamil, even if it caused a problem last time, you can try it again slowing ramping up from as low a dosage as 20 mg under the doc's supervsion.  It may not cause the same problem this time.  That is what happened to me, and this time I had no problem - but the slow ramp up in amount was hell waiting.

Good luck.

Charlotte
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 9:47am »

Have you talked to your doc about DHE treatment.  It can give you a day or a week off.  Depends on which method he decides is best for you.  (Sub-ep shot or IV treatment)
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 9:54am »

Charlotte - thanks for the support.  I have done pred tapers in the past, three in 2007.  Was hoping to avoid another taper.  I have thought about kudzu but need more info.  Do I need to detox, etc?  As far as verap goes, my neuro does not want to try again as my family has a history of heart problems.
Thomas - DHE is the last resort per my neuro.  I may not be too far away from that but am trying desperately to avoid.  Not sure if my concerns are legit or not but neuro seems to want to avoid at all costs.
Please keep the advice and info coming.  I appreciate all of it.
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 10:01am »

What about lithium, topomax, amitryptiline, or other options?  

Also, I second Kcopelin's idea on antihistamines. But I like chlorpheniramine better than benadryl (diphenhydramine). Chlorpheniramine stays in the body longer, works better overnight for me.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 10:06am »

Also, the older generation antihistamines are also SSRIs. They may help with anxiety and depression.  

Quote:
Some old antihistamines were selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and the SSRI effect was discovered by Nobel Laureate Professor Arvid Carlsson as early as 1969. Chlorpheniramine was the most active of the tested drugs, and it compares favourably with amitriptyline and imipramine with respect to actions on both serotonergic and noradrenergic neurons. Chlorpheniramine can be called a SSRI, since the blocking of 5HT is stronger than the effect on noradrenaline neurons; however it might also be called a selective serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SSNRI) and be compared with new drugs, such as venlafaxine. Carlsson suggested the potential value of clinical studies of the antidepressant properties of this and related antihistamine drugs. But, in the event, no such trials were ever performed at the time. However, later clinical observations of the benefits of dex-chlorpheniramine treatment in panic disorder have been published. Clinical experience suggests that patients using chlorpheniramine, and having also a concomitant depression or panic disorder, may experience a return of symptoms when their old drug is changed to a new antihistamine lacking SSRI effects. Yet this phenomenon is not known to many doctors, and even less known to the large number of patients buying chlorpheniramine under various trade names over-the-counter (OTC) at a low price for self-treatment of hay fewer or as a cold remedy. Chlorpheniramine was introduced in USA under the name Chlor-Trimeton as long ago as July 1950, and is still on the market. Therefore, this SSRI is now over 50 years old. If chlorpheniramine had been tested in depression in the nineteen seventies, it is probable that a safe, inexpensive SSRI drug could have been used some 15 years earlier than fluoxetine - which became available in 1987. Chlorpheniramine might have been the first safe, non-cardiotoxic and well-tolerated antidepressant. Billions of dollars in the development and marketing costs would have been saved, and the suffering of millions of patients alleviated.

Even though they say that these are non-cardiotoxic, that doesn't mean that they might not affect some types of arrhythmia - check with your doctor first on this.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2008, 10:09am by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 10:20am »

Have to see what the md says.  Currently taking 20mg paxil for panic/anxiety disorder.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 11:00am »

I've had really good luck with lithium as my prevent. For dosage compariosons I'm male, 48, weigh about 190 pounds. I take 1200 mg a day when on cycle, 300mg 4X a day. Blocks about 90% for me, 02 and the occasional imitrex jab keep the rest under rein. Might be worth a try, many have had success with it.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 11:28am »

Guiseppi,
Side effects?
Tim
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 12:17pm »

Suprisingly few, I'm in law enforcement so obviously very limited as to the meds I can take and still work. I was very hesitant to try lithium as in my line of work it has bad connotations! Wish I had signed on much earlier.

The first 2 weeks you have to pee a lot. It's a salt after all and your body tries to dump it as fast as you take it. It takes about 2 weeks to build up to the therapeudic level you need, I've always done a 2 week pred taper to tide me over. (I'm episodic, roughly 2 cycles a year, 8-12 weeks) There is a little noticeable lethargy for the first couple of weeks, I can combat that with strong coffee, a staple when I'm on cycle anyways!

By week 3 I don't notice it. I've put my beat partners on notice when I start back on it, they claim they've noticed absolutely no differences in my behaviours, response times, etc.

The county is okay with it, thus far it's been my "silver bullet" against this thing. It requires a little blood work the first few days as you get your levels set and there are things you tell your loved ones to watch for as lithium toxicity is an issue, but not one I've had trouble with.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 1:02pm »

Thanks, the more ammo I have against this the better!
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #13 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 1:50pm »

on Jan 8th, 2008, 9:54am, birdman wrote:

Thomas - DHE is the last resort per my neuro.  

I'm really not sure why so many people are afraid of this med, my wife and I use it to get a break.  And besides the pain of the shot itself, side effects are pretty minimal.  But I'm not a doctor either.  Undecided  Hoping you catch a break soon.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 12:39pm »

This morning and again just now, the oxygen worked as an abortive.  Thank God!!!!!  Let's hope that this is a sign.
Tim
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 12:47pm »

HERE ARE TWO MAJOR DOCUMENTS WITH RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE, ONE FROM A U.S. PHYSICIAN, THE SECOND FROM EUROPE.
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002. Rozen)
================
Treatment guidelines from Europe

------
A. May, M. Leone, J. Áfra, M. Linde, P. S. Sándor, S. Evers, P. J. Goadsby:  
EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other  
trigeminalautonomic cephalalgias.  
European Journal of Neurology. 2006; 13: 1066–1077.  

Download free full text:  
http://www.efns.org/files/guideline_49.pdf  
(Thanks to "cluster" for link.)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss