Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Help with Melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Help with Melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help with Melatonin  (Read 1056 times)
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Help with Melatonin
« on: Jan 15th, 2008, 1:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

[i][/i][b][/b]I've been reading the posts on Melatonin and since I don't take any medication at all (except Excedrin Migraine) I am going to go ahead and order a large supply.  However, I've read most of you say to start off with 9-12 mg every night.  From what i'm seeing they come in 1mg, 2 mg and 5 mg bottles.  If I get the 5 mg bottle would it be safe to take 2 on my first try?  I don't want to OD on something I'm not familiar with..  Any help would help... Thanks a bunch.
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: Help with Melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 1:26pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 1:19pm, LucyBee210 wrote:
[i][/i][b][/b]I've been reading the posts on Melatonin and since I don't take any medication at all (except Excedrin Migraine) I am going to go ahead and order a large supply.  However, I've read most of you say to start off with 9-12 mg every night.  From what i'm seeing they come in 1mg, 2 mg and 5 mg bottles.  If I get the 5 mg bottle would it be safe to take 2 on my first try?  I don't want to OD on something I'm not familiar with..  Any help would help... Thanks a bunch.  

Take nine ones.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 3:23pm »

I'm not sure what the toxicity level of melatonin in humans might be (some information shows an LD50 of 1 gram per 3 kilograms in laboratory animals) but it's going to be pretty high.  

You won't even get close to OD'ing at the dosages we're talking about, even though it's above the "recommended" amount they put on the label.  

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 3:56pm »

Viet .. you say take 9 of the 1 mgs?  Is there any reason why I can't take 2 of the 5 mg's safely ...?  The only reason I ask is because I am not a pill taker and generally gag on any pill... Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2008, 3:57pm by LucyBee210 » IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 4:06pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 3:56pm, LucyBee210 wrote:
Viet .. you say take 9 of the 1 mgs?  Is there any reason why I can't take 2 of the 5 mg's safely ...?  The only reason I ask is because I am not a pill taker and generally gag on any pill... Thanks for your help.

Guess ya answered your first post.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
jace77
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 8:32pm »

Neuro yesterday said that we need to increase to 15mg from 6mg, to increase every 3 days by 3 til we hit the 15.  He stated  that that is the standard the cleveland clinic recommends, my jaw dropped at the 15 as I had not read anything saying that high of a dosage
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 8:34pm »

my magic # was 9mg

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
LarryM
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 10:26pm »

9mg worked for me. I wouldn't be afraid to keep going up till the dosage worked. I got about a six month supply at a Rite Aid, buy one get sale - total $18.99. They took about a week and a half to become effective. As a check I decided to skip the melatonin and energy drinks to see if they were more placebo than real help. Mistake. They work
IP Logged
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 11:04pm »

Today I bought a bottle - they are 3 mg.  I guess it would be ok to take 3 of these tonight.. I am very skittish about taking medication but if you all say it works I'm game ... anything to get a decent night's sleep.  As I read further now I see it will take awhile before they're effective .. Thanks for all the help.
IP Logged
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 9:36pm »

I haven't needed to use melatonin this cycle (RC buster), but in the past, I started out with 6mg. As my cycle progressed, went to 9mg, then up to 12 at the peak of my cycle. Seemed to help out a lot with the night hits! I personally didn't notice any side effects at all, though some report next-day sleepiness.  

Hope it helps!!

Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 1:50pm »

For what it's worth, Gary's neuro says 18mg is max.

There is also a more-targeted pharmaceutical option called Rozerem:  http://www.rozerem.com/consumer/voucher.aspx

It is 8mg, so obviously doc said not to take more than two.

However, to actually treat insomnia (as opposed to CH), clinical studies have indicated that very SMALL amounts work - 0.3mg.

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:45pm »

Being new here, I haven't read all the discussion areas yet, but I have one question.  What does the melatonin do?  Does it get rid of the headache or just let you sleep through it, or what.  I'll try anything.
IP Logged
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 3:31pm »

Stinger, I have never known anything to let you sleep through it.  It helps wipe out some nighttime hits.  Others swear it also helps some daytime hits too.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 4:09pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:45pm, Stinger wrote:
Being new here, I haven't read all the discussion areas yet, but I have one question.  What does the melatonin do?  Does it get rid of the headache or just let you sleep through it, or what.  I'll try anything.

It actually will eliminate night-time hits.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 4:40pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 4:09pm, thomas wrote:

It actually will eliminate night-time hits.

exactly - preventative = sleep
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 11:14am »

I woke up last night at 1:30 am with a headache.  It was just bad enough to wake me, but it went away after about 15 minutes.  Maybe the melatonin kept the pain down?
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 11:16am »

on Jan 25th, 2008, 11:14am, Stinger wrote:
I woke up last night at 1:30 am with a headache.  It was just bad enough to wake me, but it went away after about 15 minutes.  Maybe the melatonin kept the pain down?

Take more and/or mix in some time-release melatonin.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
coach_bill
New Board Veteran
USA 

gimmie my imitrex!!

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:13am »

started on melatonin about 10-days ago. at 6mg. was still waking up after only being alseep for only maybe a hour, right about the time the beast would drop in for his nite cap, but these wake up calls had no pain. but i was on preds still. so i pushed it to 9mg and woke up 1/2 hour after sleeping?  but no pain, slamed a ho- ho and back to sleep. talked to the doc and the last 3 nights im taking only 3mg and have slept like a baby. all the way to 4am. only a few days of low dose pred taper left so i hope i found my number, because it will be game time soon for me. good luck in finding your right number. coach bill
IP Logged

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
Scrooge
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:40pm »

Will the higher doses of Melatonin make you groggy the next day?  I know the important aspect is to halt the attacks but I don't want to fall asleep at my desk either.
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:57pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:40pm, Scrooge wrote:
Will the higher doses of Melatonin make you groggy the next day?  I know the important aspect is to halt the attacks but I don't want to fall asleep at my desk either.

I think there's some individual variation there--some have reported that it does so, but I've never noticed any grogginess the next day.  Purely speculation, but I suspect that there's a balance between an effective dose, and an excessive one.  It may require a bit of experimentation on your part.  

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Miz_D
New Board Junior
USA 

Me and my amazing hubby Steve

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 2:13pm »

My new Neuro suggested upping the melatonin to 15mg (rather than the 9 I was taking). It seems to be effective and I am not experiencing any drowsiness in the mornings and haven't had a night hit in about a month...not bad I'd say for a chronic Kiss
IP Logged

My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise...
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 3:16pm »

on Feb 6th, 2008, 2:13pm, Miz_D wrote:
My new Neuro suggested upping the melatonin to 15mg (rather than the 9 I was taking). It seems to be effective and I am not experiencing any drowsiness in the mornings and haven't had a night hit in about a month...not bad I'd say for a chronic Kiss

Great news !
IP Logged

Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 6:49pm »

I guess I knew it wouldn't let you sleep through a headache.  I have never done that yet.  My doctor told me last week that I could continue the 9 mg (up to 12 mg) with the verapamil and prednisone he prescribed for me.  It has been helping, I think.  I am on prednisone for one week.  I hope they don't come back worse after that.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss