Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I need help with my non rebreather mask please »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   I need help with my non rebreather mask please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I need help with my non rebreather mask please  (Read 732 times)
sfgirl69
New Board Newbie
USA 

I need help with my non rebreather mask please
« on: Jan 15th, 2008, 2:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,  
I have gotten a 15 LPM oxygen tank and a non rebreather mask thanks to all the great advice on this msg brd. The problem I am having is the mast doesn't fit, no matter how tight I make it. It either goes over my eyes to my forehead or if I lower it it has a gap of about 1 1/2 inches under my chin. The RT says as long as you are getting some sort of oxygen at 100% it is fine. I don't agree with her at all, she obviously doesn't get it. The bag doesn't inflate and deflate like it should which tells me I am not breathing in what I should. Unfortunately I am about the size of a 10 year old boy which would explain the size issue. But I was told they do not come in child sizes. Does anyone else have any ideas or have a resource for this?
Thanks a million!
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: I need help with my non rebreather mask please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 2:25pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 2:16pm, sfgirl69 wrote:
Hi,  
I have gotten a 15 LPM oxygen tank and a non rebreather mask thanks to all the great advice on this msg brd. The problem I am having is the mast doesn't fit, no matter how tight I make it. It either goes over my eyes to my forehead or if I lower it it has a gap of about 1 1/2 inches under my chin. The RT says as long as you are getting some sort of oxygen at 100% it is fine. I don't agree with her at all, she obviously doesn't get it. The bag doesn't inflate and deflate like it should which tells me I am not breathing in what I should. Unfortunately I am about the size of a 10 year old boy which would explain the size issue. But I was told they do not come in child sizes. Does anyone else have any ideas or have a resource for this?
Thanks a million!

My standard mask is 5.5 inches by 3.5 inches.  What yer sayin is impossible.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 2:41pm »

Maybe you should ask for a pediatric non-rebreather mask.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 2:42pm »

Forgot to say, it needs to seal completely around your mouth and nose in order for you to get 100% O2. Any gaps and it's mixing with room air, diluting it to less than 100%.
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 2:44pm »

Once you find one that fits, get rid of that elastic band. When in the throes of the beast you need to hold it against your face so it seals completely.
IP Logged

sfgirl69
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 2:57pm »

Thanks Brewcrew,
I didn't think I was getting the o2 what I needed with that gap. Now if I could find a pediatric mask I should be pretty set up to fight the beast next round.  
The RT said, well you are getting 100% at 15lmp a gap shouldn't be a big deal it is pure o2. Well if it is mixing with the outside air it isn't pure right? I think they are looking at it from a migraine perspective. If I were only so lucky......
Does anyone have a website that you know of where you can purchase these things at?  
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 3:01pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 2:57pm, sfgirl69 wrote:
Thanks Brewcrew,
I didn't think I was getting the o2 what I needed with that gap. Now if I could find a pediatric mask I should be pretty set up to fight the beast next round.  
The RT said, well you are getting 100% at 15lmp a gap shouldn't be a big deal it is pure o2. Well if it is mixing with the outside air it isn't pure right? I think they are looking at it from a migraine perspective. If I were only so lucky......
Does anyone have a website that you know of where you can purchase these things at?  

Pardon my French, but your RT doesn't have a fucking clue about how to battle this beast. You have to saturate your bloodstream with 100% O2 as quickly as possible. Every breath that is not 100% O2 puts you another breath further away from complete relief and finally being able to shut your regulator off.

You would be better off cutting off a mask that doesn't fit and sucking each breath in straight off the hose.

You might want to click on the "oxygen info" link at the left and print out some of the more salient info for your RT. Otherwise get a new one.
IP Logged

sfgirl69
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 3:25pm »

Thanks for the giggle Brewcrew. OH HEY I GIGGLED TODAY!!!  
And of course for the advice, I just didn't know if I am making a mountain out of a molehill or if they are totally clueless. I am going to go with they are clueless, I hate to keep calling and being a pest to them but I believe what you guys say more then any Doc or RT I have run into yet so they are going to get yet another call from me right now!  
One of the non advantages of being petite, most of my med procedures are done on pediatric scale needles, machines, etc. Of course they always try the full adult size first and then say. “oh it is to big” not fun when you are having a spinal tap and THEN they realize it.  
I am down to a 3 so I am backing away from the edge of the cliff.  
Predisone – 60mg
Verap - 40mg (colon killer)
Trex – 4mg as hit  

And just started 3gms of Taurine yesterday, I am hopeful with the herbal supplements to wean myself off the Verap and Trex as soon as I can. Right now I am still not able to see the light at the end of the tunnel but I can see a tunnel up ahead so it is the regular meds for a while. I am looking at adding the Kodzu and melatonin soon too.  

This is probably more info then needed.  
Anyway thanks for listening and the reality check!
S~
Thanks for the giggle Brewcrew.  
And of course for the advise, I just didn't know if I am making a mountain out of a molehill or if they are totally clueless. I am going to go with they are clueless, I hate to keep calling and being a pest to them but I belive what you guys say more then any Doc or RT I have run into yet so they are going to get yet another call from me right now!  
One of the non advantages of being petite. Most of my med procedures are done on pediatric scale needles, machines, etc.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 8:20pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 2:57pm, sfgirl69 wrote:
Now if I could find a pediatric mask  

http://www2.mooremedical.com/index.cfm?PG=CTL&CS=MCO&FN=ProductD etail&PID=14547

Item #82267  
7' Oxygen Tubing w/FITS-ALL Oxygen Connector Check Valve, One Side Valve
Pediatric
Each $1.19
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
sfgirl69
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 7:23pm »

Thanks Mr. Happy!
 I knew someone on the board would know. It scares me that my RT hasn't been able to come up with the same information for 3 days! grrrrrr.....
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss