Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 3:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Remission from Clusters with Goji Berries »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Remission from Clusters with Goji Berries
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Remission from Clusters with Goji Berries  (Read 1938 times)
Bas39
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Remission from Clusters with Goji Berries
« on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 6:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After 8 months of testing a chance discovery, I am happy to report that by taking small handful of Goji berries once a day, every day, I can sustain remission from what appears to be cluster headaches symptoms.  An effect is noticeable after a few weeks, with a slight decline of the mild to moderate symptoms between the severe acute cluster attacks episodes.  Then slowly, a reduction of the number acute attacks themselves, and an increase in the remission period between Cluster cycles.

Regretfully, if I stop taking these berries, the cluster headaches symptoms slowly return.  To be successful, I have a small handful (in my case, no more than a heaped teaspoon), but every day, of Goji berries.  I now add them to a bowl porridge or muesli every breakfast.  

After months of testing and observation, the Goji berries diet change, for me, is the sole factor I believe that is making the difference in actually helping decrease my cluster headaches symptoms.

I have been lucky that my type of acute cluster headache attacks have always responded well to Imigran Recovery (UK brand name).  I am male, and the cluster headaches symptoms started a couple of years ago, quite suddenly, when I was 40.  I now still get the occasional classical migraine (which, if treated early, responds to Pink Migraleve), and which I have had infrequently since a teenager.

I appreciate this diet change probably will not help most other suffers, but just in case it helps somebody I thought it is worth sharing.

Bas

PS, when I choose my Goji berries, I take care in chosing the packets (even from the same supplier) as their quality can vary.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

Re: Remission from Clusters with Goji Berries
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 7:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

And awaaaaaay we go!
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:33pm »

I had a 2 week reprieve from a chronic state following a diet exclusively of Crunch berries.

modified to add Fruity pebbles can work too if eaten on off days beginning with a T
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:34pm by E-Double » IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:49pm »

In my freshman year, I yakked my Crunch Berries all over the field at the first day of football practice.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:54pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 6:28pm, Bas39 wrote:
what appears to be cluster headaches symptoms.  

Nuff said!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:55pm »

You cannot trick me into eating those little 'Chinese raisins' that look like red mouse turds!!  I don't care if the research says that they contain something that is a calcium channel blocker!! I don't care if they protect nuerons from the stuff that causes alzheimers!  If it's herbal, its either worthless or deadly (or both).
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:55pm »

Well hell I was gonna talk about dingle berries but umm  

IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:09pm »

Ya know. Just the other day while I was standing next to the Bonji Stones cart admiring my new bottle of Lavender Oil and my fresh bag of Butterfly Farts, I heard a voices softly selling me Goji Berries.

The Doc told me they would remove the restraints and give me back my Tin Foil Hat if I stop smearing Himmilayan goat shit on my temples.
IP Logged
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:49pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:55pm, monty wrote:
I don't care if the research says that they contain something that is a calcium channel blocker!! I don't care if they protect nuerons from the stuff that causes alzheimers!

I would like to see some documentation of this because all I've read so far about Wolfberries is they help as antioxidents and have anti fungal & anti bacterial properties.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:51pm by Melissa » IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:56pm »

one of my coworkers was waving that rabbit food under my nose - she bought a ten pound bag at the Chinese market for 25 cents. I said no thanks, I'm sticking with my steak. Then I asked her how she knew it was goji berries - the writing on the bag was all Chinese!!  

Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2005 Apr;30(7):534-8.
    [Effects of LbGp on the intracellular free calcium concentration of cardiomyocytes induced by hypoxia and KCl]
    [Article in Chinese]

Xu SL, Huang J, Tian GY.

Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanfang 210029, China. slheart@njmu.edu.cn

OBJECTIVE: Hypoxia/KCl injury model in the cultured neonatal rat cardiomyocytes (CMs) was established to investigate the protective effect of Lycium barbanun Glycopeptide (LbGp) on calcium overload. METHOD: Cultured neonatal rat CMs were divided into three groups, namely normal control, hypoxia groups and LbGp-treated group. CMs in LbGp-treated group and hypxia group were cultured in an incubator ventilated with 95% N2 and 5% CO2 with or without LbGP. CMs viability under hypoxia was measured by 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazole-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide colorimetry (MTT). The intracellular free calcium concentration in cardiomyocytes was measured by laser confocal microscope with Fura-3/AM as a calcium indicator. The protective effects of LbGp on the CMs treated by KCl (60 mmol x L(-1)) was observed. RESULT: As compared with normal controls, the degree of MTT metabolism was significantly reduced (P < 0.01) in hypoxic group and slightly reduced in LbGp (P < 0.05). Hypoxia-induced enhancement of intracellular calcium ([Ca2+]i) was attenuated by LbGp significantly (P < 0.01). Moreover, KCl-induced enhancement of [Ca2+]i was also reduced by LbGp at the doses of 25, 50, 100 microg x mL(-1) in a concentration-dependent manner. CONCLUSION: The result suggested that LbGp is able to increase the survival ratio and inhibit the enhancement of the intracellular free calcium concentration in cardiomyocytes induced by hypoxia and high potassium. One of the mechanisms is that LbGp acts on L-type calcium channels.

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
chewy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:59pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:56pm, monty wrote:

Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2005 Apr;30(7):534-8.
    [Effects of LbGp on the intracellular free calcium concentration of cardiomyocytes induced by hypoxia and KCl]
    [Article in Chinese]

Xu SL, Huang J, Tian GY.

Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanfang 210029, China. slheart@njmu.edu.cn

OBJECTIVE: Hypoxia/KCl injury model in the cultured neonatal rat cardiomyocytes (CMs) was established to investigate the protective effect of Lycium barbanun Glycopeptide (LbGp) on calcium overload. METHOD: Cultured neonatal rat CMs were divided into three groups, namely normal control, hypoxia groups and LbGp-treated group. CMs in LbGp-treated group and hypxia group were cultured in an incubator ventilated with 95% N2 and 5% CO2 with or without LbGP. CMs viability under hypoxia was measured by 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazole-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide colorimetry (MTT). The intracellular free calcium concentration in cardiomyocytes was measured by laser confocal microscope with Fura-3/AM as a calcium indicator. The protective effects of LbGp on the CMs treated by KCl (60 mmol x L(-1)) was observed. RESULT: As compared with normal controls, the degree of MTT metabolism was significantly reduced (P < 0.01) in hypoxic group and slightly reduced in LbGp (P < 0.05). Hypoxia-induced enhancement of intracellular calcium ([Ca2+]i) was attenuated by LbGp significantly (P < 0.01). Moreover, KCl-induced enhancement of [Ca2+]i was also reduced by LbGp at the doses of 25, 50, 100 microg x mL(-1) in a concentration-dependent manner. CONCLUSION: The result suggested that LbGp is able to increase the survival ratio and inhibit the enhancement of the intracellular free calcium concentration in cardiomyocytes induced by hypoxia and high potassium. One of the mechanisms is that LbGp acts on L-type calcium channels.

Aint that sumpin.
IP Logged
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

..Re: Remission from Clusters with Goji Berries
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:03pm »

Hmmm.  I looked up Lycium barbarum Glycopeptide and found this on Tradekey...

Quote:
http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/197603.htm

Specification: Polysaccharides: 20-70%
Code No. : BCY-ZT028
Description: Wolfberry rich of wolfberry polysaccharides(amylose), detaine, zeaxanthine, physalein, Ascorbic acid, Carotene, Riboflavin, Nicotine, Thiamine, Betaine, taurine, all kinds of vitamins and 19 kinds of amino acid, as well as 21 kinds of minerals. Moreover, the concentration of Beta-carotene in wolf berry even higher than carrot, effective protein concentration more than bee pollen. Every 100g fresh wolf berry contain crude protein 5.8g, wolf berry fat 1g, Calcium 155mg, phosphor 67mg,Fe 3.4mg, carotene 3.96mg, vitamins B 10.23mg, vitamins B 20.33mg, vitamins C 3mg, Betaine about 1%.  
Function:
1. Benefit for kidney, nutritional for lung, good for vision and eyes.
2. Many type of amino acid, vitamins, and more other nutritional components and minerals, can supply body fluid and increase internal secretion
3. Enhance immunity.
4. Decrease acidic content in blood.
5. Can be made of the best natural health care products, widely used in health food, health drink, and teas.
6. Can be used as a tonic for the eyes, especially where the circulation is thought to be poor, in conditions of dizziness, blurred vision, and diminished sight.
7. In the respiratory system it is used to tonify the lungs, especially in conditions with a consumptive cough.  
8. In the cardiovascular system lycium is used as a circulatory tonic, to reduce blood pressure and to lower lipid levels.

Interesting.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:04pm by Melissa » IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:10pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:33pm, E-Double wrote:
I had a 2 week reprieve from a chronic state following a diet exclusively of Crunch berries.

I heard a fruity pebble enema cures athletes foot and acne too.

its gotta be the crunch berries
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:14pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:10pm, PollyPocket wrote:
I heard a fruity pebble enema cures athletes foot and acne too.

It does wonders for colonic polyps, too. Roughage.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:47pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 6:28pm, Bas39 wrote:
An effect is noticeable after a few weeks, with a slight decline of the mild to moderate symptoms between the severe acute cluster attacks episodes.

What are cluster symptoms between cluster attack episodes?  This is usually PF time.  Are you talking about between hits or cycles?

Quote:
Regretfully, if I stop taking these berries, the cluster headaches symptoms slowly return.

You being episodic, whether in or out of cycle?
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:49pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #15 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:43pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:55pm, monty wrote:
 If it's herbal, its either worthless or deadly (or both).

There are quite a few kudzu users who would probably disagree with that statement.

As far as Goji berries... I don't know enough about them. I do know that if Flo says something positive about them in his med-owl book, I'd believe him.  
I may go check later.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:17am »

Sorry Bas39 with post count of 1, I'm not buying it either.

It would be nice, but there's nothing known about the berries that even begins to make me believe you.

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 4:49am »

I'm glad that you've found something which helps you. The rest of us... we need more information.

PF wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:21pm »

If it's herbal, its either worthless or deadly (or both).

Then whats clusterbusters web-site about, lots of people have found help there havent they?
as for the berries...hmmmmmm
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #19 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 1:12pm »

You know I finally read this and I aint gonna stop hacking up chunch berries when I eat them like FOREVER!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Mike
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss