Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 3:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A cure in two words? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   A cure in two words?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A cure in two words?  (Read 2291 times)
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: A cure in two words?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 3:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
Helen, Brace yourself.  

We'll all be there in a few days.  

Uh ... Linda ... I don't know quite how to break this to ya but moving in with Helen wouldn't change your hemisphere.  You'd have to move south of the equator.  

Your right Dennis...but Helen always makes delicious dinners for visiting guests and we'd all have to stop somewhere on our way to a different hemishpere.  Grin

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 6:39pm »

We live on the 45th Parallel, halfway between the Equator and the North Pole! Smiley No cure here! Must move. Grin
Annette, were on our way, do you like cats? grin2

IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 8:08pm »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 6:39pm, barry_sword wrote:
We live on the 45th Parallel, halfway between the Equator and the North Pole! Smiley No cure here! Must move. Grin
Annette, were on our way, do you like cats? grin2

Room all set up for you and I love all animals  Kiss  When are you arriving ?  Smiley

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
runningman
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #28 on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:49pm »

i've got your "cure" right here, in 2 words:

breathe hard

i have posted this before, hope it can help someone who is listening...

i read years ago on this board about a guy who went down into his basement and lifted weights whenever he got a ch.  I think it was a squat exercise.  And if I recall correctly, a comment was made about heavy breathing and how it seemed to help. Well, I am not a weight lifter, but I am no stranger to exercise. So the next time I was visited by the beast, I went for a run. Just ran out the door and down the street. And at first nothing happened. I ran until I was heaving (not long in distance..like a lot of you, I smoke, so we're talking about a block here), but the pain was still coming. So I ran some more. And slowly started to notice that the headache was not getting worse. That in itself was a victory. And then it started to go away. Within 5 minutes, I was woozy and breathing hard but NO CH. In fact I could feel some of the signals that the beast was going going gone...  I continued to use this method for the rest of that cycle with perfect results every time. Breathe hard, headache went away.

Since then I have had about 3 cycles of about a month each. My cluster cycles are 18 months to 2 years apart. Can you believe that the first one after finding this "cure", I had already forgotten, and I sat through 2 cycles over 2 years by just bearing the pain (and puking, and tearing, and scaring the hell out of my friends and family, some of whom just left me in the dust since they couldn't understand what was happening to me). Then I remembered, exercise !

So, 2 years ago, when I started gettin 'em again, at 2.30 or 3 in the morning, I just laced up the running shoes and out the door.  Fast, because the ramp up was fast and I was hurting by the time I got outside (must've been ramping up in my sleep and I did not wake up until late into the beginning phases). And I ran, and ran. AND THE CH went away. That fall I got blisters on my feet from rubbing against the shoes. And my legs were sore, knees a little achy. And I was definitely a little weak and woozy after each episode, BUT THE CH went away. 100% effective.

Now, I have been getting some mild ones this winter. But they never develop into bangers 'cause I am doing stairs at the office, squats (with no weights) at home in the middle of then night, running on the street if I can't do either of those. AND THE CH goes away every freaking time.

Let me tell you something, the beast don't like oxygen. When oxygen is present, the devil is not.  My way is to breathe hard or induce hard breathing through exercise. By the way, my family doctor would not give me an o2 tank, just lots of painkillers and imitrex, which are expensive and certainly not as clean as running up and down stairs. So to hell with them, they don't know what this thing is. But you do, and I do, so believe me, oxygen therapy works, and you can get it by climbing stairs, or running around, or whatever makes you breathe hard. VIGOROUS EXERCISE MAKES THE BEAST GO AWAY. Try it, it works.
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #29 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 2:02am »

Its still not a cure, just an effective abortive. Like other abortives, it works for some and not for others. Didnt work for my husband, made him dizzy and fall down. His eye would tear so much and swollen shut he often couldnt see where he was staggering let alone running down the street. He had fallen downstair many times while getting hit so running up and down the stairs is not an option either.

However, I have heard that vigorous exercises help many, so kudos to those that work well for.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
runningman
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #30 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 3:28am »

i think in his case that the exercise needs to start earlier in the attack.  i am doing this before the eye shuts and tears.  maybe a stairmaster or another stationary exercise machine? please have him try again, believe me, this works. if it weren't that a very effective treatment is oxygen, i wouldn't make this link. i firmly believe that it can work for all if done properly, just like the oxygen treatment. you need the right method but it works... please keep trying ~!

IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #31 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 5:57am »

Exercise works as abortive for some, and not for others. This has been discussed on several occasions here and the same conclusion seems to be found. For example, for some of us, exercise, while in cycle, is a trigger. The fact that it can be an abortive for you is great - but know that not everyone has the same results with various behavioral abortives.

It may be that as a result of your smoking that O2 levels are a little away from where they should be anyway, and a little exercise is enough of an oxygen bump to help you. For those of that don't smoke, maybe it is different. Any theory can lead to ten sub-postulates. That's the fun of Cluster headache.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Switzerland 

4Re: A cure in two words?
« Reply #32 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 10:29am »

Quote:
CHANGE HEMISPHERES  

Ice sometimes helps and various other tricks but when a bad one is coming, there is nothing to do but suffer. However, my work takes me from UK to Africa and within two days of arriving, the headaches stop and my head feels clear again. If I return to UK too soon, back they come.  

Anyone had any similar experiences?  

Roger

NO!!

Roger, I used to travel a lot, including travelling to below the 30° South….. and never had any relief!
on the contrary…. the long flight and time-zone deference’s, it seemed to “hit” harder…..

So sorry Annette…… no I am not going to move ……. way to long of a flight….. I think 30 hours
and I like it in Switzerland.

Nani and PF

Quote:
There was a speaker at the Clusterbuster Conference who has a theory and some anecdotal evidence about it

I have looked for any sort of written evidence to this theory……. could not fined any over the net… that are credible.

And like I say storeys (which might be correct) and random anecdotal evidence…. are  
just mostly wishful thinking…..  and as much as I would like to believe in some of  
the storeys….and as you said (PF) anecdotal evidence is often how new breakthroughs begin to be considered. this one seems to me just a nice story………..

Michael
IP Logged

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #33 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:46pm »

as of yet we should not use the word "cure"
they are just abortives that work for some and not for others, 02 dos'nt work for everyone either,
02 only somtimes aborts for me, but its not my magic bullet, i dont have one yet
i find coffee works better or combined with 02 thats wot i do, but if its only 02 or coffee it just seems to dull the headache down a bit, not abort,
everyones different, but its great to know what works for others
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #34 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 3:40pm »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 8:40am, seasonalboomer wrote:
It is at this point when I feel the collective insecurity of the CH world. Every time some one has ever told you, "take a few tylenols and lie down", or, "it seems like they come back when you start to think about them." I see threads like this and it pisses me off.

These things aren't a sore back or a sour mood. Someone can always come up with another anectdotal piece of BS that tells us something else. I had a steak at Morton's one time and it averted a headache, I watched the Pittsburg Penguins win one time, and my headache went away, if I stare real hard into the TV when Kaite Couric is doing the news I can avoid getting hit. For Christ's sake.

Sorry, grumpy today.    

Scott Angry

The two words
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #35 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 12:10am »

Two words for me:
Oxy Gen

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss