Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 4:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION  (Read 681 times)
tony-PA
New Board Newbie
Italy 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION
« on: Jan 30th, 2008, 9:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi everybody,
there is any of the few people in the word (21 if i'm correct) undergone dbs, in this board?
I would love to know something about the results and what is your opinion about this very ultimate resource.

p.s.: i always try to do the search before asking, but some time (like this one) i fail  Embarassed. thank you
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 9:06am »

Brain. 2005 Apr;128(Pt 4):940-7. Epub 2005 Feb 2.    

Hypothalamic stimulation in chronic cluster headache: a pilot study of efficacy and mode of action.

Schoenen J, Di Clemente L, Vandenheede M, Fumal A, De Pasqua V, Mouchamps M, Remacle JM, de Noordhout AM.

Headache Research Unit, University Department of Neurology, CHR Citadelle, Bd du XIIeme de Ligne, B-4000 Liege, Belgium. j.schoenen@ulg.ac.be

We enrolled six patients suffering from refractory chronic cluster headache in a pilot trial of neurostimulation of the ipsilateral ventroposterior hypothalamus using the stereotactic coordinates published previously. After the varying durations needed to determine optimal stimulation parameters and a mean follow-up of 14.5 months, the clinical outcome is excellent in three patients (two are pain-free; one has fewer than three attacks per month), but unsatisfactory in one patient, who only has had transient remissions. Mean voltage is 3.28 V, diplopia being the major factor limiting its increase. When the stimulator was switched off in one pain-free patient, attacks resumed after 3 months until it was turned on again. In one patient the implantation procedure had to be interrupted because of a panic attack with autonomic disturbances. Another patient died from an intracerebral haemorrhage that developed along the lead tract several hours after surgery; there were no other vascular changes on post-mortem examination. After 1 month, the hypothalamic stimulation induced resistance against the attack-triggering agent nitroglycerin and tended to increase pain thresholds at extracephalic, but not at cephalic, sites. It had no detectable effect on neurohypophyseal hormones or melatonin excretion. We conclude that hypothalamic stimulation has remarkable efficacy in most, but not all, patients with treatment-resistant chronic cluster headache. Its efficacy is not due to a simple analgesic effect or to hormonal changes. Intracerebral haemorrhage cannot be neglected in the risk evaluation of the procedure. Whether it might be more prevalent than in deep-brain stimulation for movement disorders remains to be determined.

Publication Types:  
Evaluation Studies

PMID: 15689358  
=========================

Neurol Sci. 2005 May;26 Suppl 2:s138-9.    

Deep brain stimulation and cluster headache.

Leone M, Franzini A, Felisati G, Mea E, Curone M, Tullo V, Broggi G, Bussone G.

Headache Centre, C. Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, I-20133, Milan, Italy. leone@istituto-besta.it

In recent years, neuroimaging data have greatly improved the knowledge on trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias' (TACs) central mechanisms. Positron emission tomography studies have shown that the posterior inferior hypothalamic grey matter is activated during cluster headache attacks as well as in short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT). Voxel-based morphometric MRI has also documented alteration in the same area in cluster headache patients. These data suggest that the cluster headache generator is located in this region and leads us to hypothesise that stimulation of this brain area could relieve intractable cluster headache just as deep brain stimulation improves intractable movements disorders. This view received support by the observation that high frequency stimulation of the ipsilateral hypothalamus prevented attacks in an otherwise intractable chronic cluster headache patient previously treated unsuccessfully by surgical procedures to the trigeminal nerve. So far, 16 patients with intractable cronic cluster headache (CCH) and one intractable SUNCT patient have been successfully treated by hypothalamic stimulation. The procedures were well tolerated with no significant adverse events. Hypothalamic DBS is an efficacious and safe procedure to relieve otherwise intractable CCH and SUNCT.

Publication Types:  
Review

PMID: 15926012 [PubMed]

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 10:17am »

thank you, Bob.  Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you?

Having SUNCT in my combo plate menu, I am always starving for info.  Do not think I would want to try this one, though.  Not enough success.  SUNCT is a real bitch, I will tell you.  Not a beast, just a bitch.

Charlotte
IP Logged
tony-PA
New Board Newbie
Italy 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 12:30pm »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 10:17am, Charlotte   wrote:
 Not enough success.  

yes indeed  Sad   we have (in our forum) 3  friends who did that and keep having lot of troubles of any kind.
But I was curious to know if you have any direct personal testimony ( not just medical reports   Wink)

p.s.: personally I'd rather have a bullet in my little brain instead of a microchip. sorry   Embarassed

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 2:18pm »

I would rather eat barbed wire and shit spikes.
Oops wrong thread. Wink
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss