Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « imitrex w/pics »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   imitrex w/pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: imitrex w/pics  (Read 3207 times)
jace77
New Board Junior
USA 

Re: imitrex w/pics
« Reply #50 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 4:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

thanks for the info
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #51 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 9:10am »

on Feb 7th, 2008, 3:57pm, Gena wrote:

I use DHE intramuscular and there would be no way I could give them to myself.  
The needles are big and the shot is painful.  
Compared to Imitrex I get 24 hours of relief per shot most times.

I hope the DHE gives him the relief he needs.

Just to add a footnote to what Gena said, the DHE is NOT and effective abortive if you wait until the CH is full blown, it is more for giving your self a 18-24 hour break and letting your body get the rest that it so desperately needs.  However usually 3-8 days of DHE treatments can break a cycle.  Good luck with everything.

Edit to add - make sure you give the shot sllllllooooooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyyyyyyy and like anything else overuse/abuse is not a good thing at all.  There are times when you just have to tough it out and use ice/heat, coffee, redbull and those types of things.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2008, 9:12am by thomas » IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #52 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 1:35pm »

on Feb 1st, 2008, 11:50pm, billlmack wrote:
.. oh thats injectables................ never mind.  
Toss it, I guess.

Say what?  Huh  Toss it my way maybe.

When a ch attack hits, time is of the essence.  Pills don't work fast enough to provide acceptable relief for a ch attack.  Injectable Imitrex works extremely quickly, in less than 10 minutes for some - less than seven minutes for me most of the time.  I was needlephobic until I developed CH.  One shot of trex and I got over that real quick.  I'd much rather feel a quick prick in the arm, thigh or stomach and be feeling better in minutes than take a pill and suffer through 30 - 45 minutes or longer waiting for it to take effect.  Using the vials and a 31 gauge short needle insulin syringe, you hardly feel a thing except relief.

If you REALLY just can't get past the thought of giving yourself a shot, try Zomig NS.  That works for me in under 10 minutes, probably 90% of the time.  Zomig stays in the system a lot longer than trex.  Many people report Zomig gives them 10+ hours before they get hit again.

Another alternative if your attacks always come at the same time is to take a long acting triptan, like frovatriptan, about an hour or two before your scheduled attack.  I use this if I have to be clear headed for a period of time, like travel, business meetings, etc.

IP Logged
jace77
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #53 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 2:05pm »

the histamine desensititization is not working the diamond headache clinic did last week, now they are moving on to the dhe 24hr X 4 day sub-cu infusion. we are waiting for the home health nurse to arrive at the house to try this treatment and they are taking him off lithium and adding lyrica 50mg X 2 day.   His attacks are not coming at any "scheduled" time, just when they feel like it, sometimes in the middle of the night, sometimes after breakfast, or middle of afternoon, no rythum, just chronic.  The doctors do not want him using imitrex at all, as he gets horrible rebounds from just one dose!  I must have 100 vials or more sitting here, even using the 2-3 mg at a time, still gets rebounds...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss